Does a formal dress have to be long?

I have found a fantastic dress, cream and gold chiffon, very dressy, with beading and sequens, but it comes to mid calf.

I'm not an expert, but would say it is too dressy for a semi-formal cocktail type dress. Is it ok to wear a shorter dress for formal? (incidentally, on Cunard).

Help....... regards, Mary

Techinically speaking, formal means full length and Cunard is one of the most formal of all the cruise lines.

If it were any other ship, I'd probably venture a guess that many women would also be in tea-length dresses, but on Cunard, I wouldn't feel confident saying that.

I think you should contact the the cruiseline and ask them. I would also advise posting this question on the Cunard board of this forum.

Also look through their brochure photo's. Cruise companies are very careful about what their models wear so that they can convey what they expect passengers to wear while aboard.

I would have to agree with Jane110. On any other line you would be fine in a cocktail length dress for formal night. Cunard however is more rigid than the other lines. Calling them and asking for customer service would certainly give you an answer. You could also try posting this under 'Other lines' in the C's. I would hope somebody has sailed with them before and could give you a response.

Good luck!

I sailed on Cunard for just a short cruise, not a crossing. It was delightful to see how dressy everyone was, not just at night but during the day as well. It's interesting to read how someone else would interpret it as stuffy. We had a great time and a lot of laughs with people, no stuffy ones at all. But, I do have to say it was the dressiest crowd we've ever been around on a cruise ship.

I wore what I would consider to be semi-formal on the non-formal nights and felt right at home. On formal night, the vast majority were dressed to the nines, I'd say the tuxedos and gowns far outnumbered the dark suits and cocktail dresses. It was absolutely lovely.

I sailed on Cunard for just a short cruise, not a crossing. It was delightful to see how dressy everyone was, not just at night but during the day as well. It's interesting to read how someone else would interpret it as stuffy. We had a great time and a lot of laughs with people, no stuffy ones at all. But, I do have to say it was the dressiest crowd we've ever been around on a cruise ship.

I wore what I would consider to be semi-formal on the non-formal nights and felt right at home. On formal night, the vast majority were dressed to the nines, I'd say the tuxedos and gowns far outnumbered the dark suits and cocktail dresses. It was absolutely lovely.

Thanks Kathy for that first hand information (incidentally, Cunard are now calling 'informal' 'semi-formal', presumably to make it clear that cocktail dresses are expected). I already have 3 very formal gowns but need a 4th and fell in love with the one I described, but will now wear that on semi-formal night (assuming beads/sequins aren't too over the top?).

Relieved to hear that it's not stuffy, as this is my husband's birthday treat and not really my thing (although I hope to be proved wrong).

Cheers, Mary

My MIL sailed on the QM2 last year and did NOT wear a long dress. In fact the dresses she did take weren't nearly as formally embellished as the one you describe. MIL also said she felt "fine" and didn't feel out of place, though she did acknowledge that there were a lot of men in tuxes. It did not state in their dress code that the formal dresses had to be long, but it did state that men could wear a tux or a dark suit for formal nights. I can't believe that they would allow a man to wear a suit while requiring the women's dresses to be long. Somehow that just doesn't seem right. If you think back to most generations' teenager years, there always were a number of formal but short dresses at the prom. I say go for it if you love it.

My MIL sailed on the QM2 last year and did NOT wear a long dress. In fact the dresses she did take weren't nearly as formally embellished as the one you describe. MIL also said she felt "fine" and didn't feel out of place, though she did acknowledge that there were a lot of men in tuxes. It did not state in their dress code that the formal dresses had to be long, but it did state that men could wear a tux or a dark suit for formal nights. I can't believe that they would allow a man to wear a suit while requiring the women's dresses to be long. Somehow that just doesn't seem right. If you think back to most generations' teenager years, there always were a number of formal but short dresses at the prom. I say go for it if you love it.

Many thanks; good to hear from someone else with experience of Cunard. I know from the Cunard board that tea length would be ok as far as they are concerned. However, like a lot of other people I just want to go with the majority and conform and, as a jeans and jumper girl, it is a huge learning curve. If I hadn't accidentally happened upon these boards I would have been floundering and have had so much help on here. Incidentally, I took a previous poster's suggestion and checked the brochure; EVERYONE is sitting down behind tables, so for all I know they are wearing nothing below the waist. This will save me a fortune..........

Best wishes, Mary

Many thanks; good to hear from someone else with experience of Cunard. I know from the Cunard board that tea length would be ok as far as they are concerned. However, like a lot of other people I just want to go with the majority and conform and, as a jeans and jumper girl, it is a huge learning curve. If I hadn't accidentally happened upon these boards I would have been floundering and have had so much help on here. Incidentally, I took a previous poster's suggestion and checked the brochure; EVERYONE is sitting down behind tables, so for all I know they are wearing nothing below the waist. This will save me a fortune..........

Best wishes, Mary

Mary,

No disrespect meant to ncamy - but just because her MIL wore a shorter dress and she felt fine doesn't make it an appropriate choice. She only talked about what the men wore and not the other women. For all we know, she was the only woman on board without a full length formal gown and that's an environment you would not be comfortable in (personally, nor would I).

However, since you asked on the Cunard board and many say tea length is ok, then that's a clearer picture of what is appropriate for your cruise.

I'm quite surprised that Cunard brochures don't show the ladies from the waist down! LOL!!!

Mary,

No disrespect meant to ncamy - but just because her MIL wore a shorter dress and she felt fine doesn't make it an appropriate choice. She only talked about what the men wore and not the other women. For all we know, she was the only woman on board without a full length formal gown and that's an environment you would not be comfortable in (personally, nor would I).

However, since you asked on the Cunard board and many say tea length is ok, then that's a clearer picture of what is appropriate for your cruise.

I'm quite surprised that Cunard brochures don't show the ladies from the waist down! LOL!!!

Sorry, I actually meant that Cunard themselves don't seem too bothered about dress length, provided you look suitably respectable (lower half covered, and not by just a table). I've read quite a few of your posts, Jane, and you know what you're talking about so have taken your opinion firmly on board.

Mary

Sorry, I actually meant that Cunard themselves don't seem too bothered about dress length, provided you look suitably respectable (lower half covered, and not by just a table). I've read quite a few of your posts, Jane, and you know what you're talking about so have taken your opinion firmly on board.

Mary

Yes, I think they'd definitely not appreciate your lower body only being covered by the table cloth!!! :D :D

So have you decided to wear the tea length dress or are you looking for a long one?

As I understand it, Cunard is the only line that does the dining room seating by cabin catagory. Do you know if this has anything to do with formal dress code?

Thanks for the compliment.

Jane

Jane you are perfectly correct in saying that just because my MIL felt fine, it was OK. You must know my MIL! Ha Ha...she's not exactly a fashion queen. I guess what I was trying to point out was that the Cunard's policy states that it is acceptable and considered formal to wear a non floor length dress. I just wanted to pass along the information that I knew for a fact that some people actually do choose that route. My inlaws were with a large group of Florida retirees and she said quite a few of their group chose to dress that way. They were not in a suite; they were just in a balcony stateroom. Maybe the higher level people do dress differently. I also have this image of my dear departed mother in a tea length strapless gown with my handsome dad in a tux taken at a college dance. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few from their generation on this cruise, and I doubt that they would look down on such a dress.

Jane you are perfectly correct in saying that just because my MIL felt fine, it was OK. You must know my MIL! Ha Ha...she's not exactly a fashion queen.

LOL!!!

Glad you didn't take my comment the wrong way.

I guess what I was trying to point out was that the Cunard's policy states that it is acceptable and considered formal to wear a non floor length dress. I just wanted to pass along the information that I knew for a fact that some people actually do choose that route.

Ah, I see. Maybe I read it wrong, but I only recall you saying what your MIL and the men wore. I didn't see any mention of Cunard's policy so maybe I missed that. Thanks.

Yes, I think they'd definitely not appreciate your lower body only being covered by the table cloth!!! :D :D

So have you decided to wear the tea length dress or are you looking for a long one?

As I understand it, Cunard is the only line that does the dining room seating by cabin catagory. Do you know if this has anything to do with formal dress code?

Thanks for the compliment.

Jane

There is no question that, as a favour to my fellow passengers, I shall be firmly covering everything possible, and not with a tablecloth (how I laughed). The tea length dress has been relegated to 'semi-formal' and I am back on the hunt today for the final LONG formal dress (I originally asked the question because I wanted the answer and not for reassurance that my dress was right, so thank you again).

I gather that it is even more formal in the Grills, but thankfully that is not my problem.

Cheers, Mary

I have found a fantastic dress, cream and gold chiffon, very dressy, with beading and sequens, but it comes to mid calf.

I'm not an expert, but would say it is too dressy for a semi-formal cocktail type dress. Is it ok to wear a shorter dress for formal? (incidentally, on Cunard).

Help....... regards, Mary

It may not techinically be formal-I don't know-I am not up on the fashion terms-but many just wear sparkly tops with black dress slacks on formal nights, others wear cocktail dresses-you really do not see that many evening gowns.

Archived