Required Passports being postponed?

vesw01

+ Senate wants border passports delayed

The Senate voted to delay for 17 months a requirement that Americans re-entering the United States after cruises or short visits to Canada and Mexico show passports or high-tech identification cards. (AP)

I read this on a travel newsletter and was wondernig if anyone else has heard about it?

I've also heard that. I read it in a newspaper while in New England last week. The focus of that particular article was the inconvenience to folks going back and forth between northern New England and Canada. They anticipate a loss of revenue because people won't want to get passports.

In my opinion the requirement for passports is long overdue. I don't understand all the whining about getting a freaking passport and hope they don't delay implementation of the requirement.

I've also heard that. I read it in a newspaper while in New England last week. The focus of that particular article was the inconvenience to folks going back and forth between northern New England and Canada. They anticipate a loss of revenue because people won't want to get passports.

In my opinion the requirement for passports is long overdue. I don't understand all the whining about getting a freaking passport and hope they don't delay implementation of the requirement.

Then they shouldn't be allowed to travel out of the country...period.

BRAVO...L O N G overdue.

See, now I disagree. We are foster parents and frankly it would be nice if we could cross into Canada or Mexico without passports...for goodness sakes we are all on the same continent. I would love to be able to take my kids on a cruise without having the additional cost of $100 per kid - especially for kids who may not stay with us. We don't live too far from Detroit and it is great to "pop" into Canada for us. We would also love to take the kids to see Niagra Falls, but can't do that either. We can't go on an Alaskan cruise (stop in Canada) or a Hawaiian cruise, mexico, caribbean or even a Disney cruise

See, now I disagree. We are foster parents and frankly it would be nice if we could cross into Canada or Mexico without passports...for goodness sakes we are all on the same continent. I would love to be able to take my kids on a cruise without having the additional cost of $100 per kid - especially for kids who may not stay with us. We don't live too far from Detroit and it is great to "pop" into Canada for us. We would also love to take the kids to see Niagra Falls, but can't do that either. We can't go on an Alaskan cruise (stop in Canada) or a Hawaiian cruise, mexico, caribbean or even a Disney cruise

See post number 5...

Perhaps it isn't the fact that one should have a passport or not but the cost of it.....why $100? We're taking our five young adult college children on a cruise and that's $500 all told....they shouldn't be looking at if we should have one to cross over, of course we should be able to prove who we are, they should be looking and, we should be pushing them, to lower the cost of a passport. IMO :)

In a perfect world we wouldn't need passports. But the reality is, and something people seem to either forget or ignore, this isn't a perfect world.

I prefer to avoid glowing in the dark as long as possible, so cheers to passports.

Scott

First of all I don't think you need a passport to travel to Hawaii :confused: I think it's one of ours :D If the cost bothers you then spread it over the number of cruises or trips out of the country for the number of years it's valid and it doesn't really cost that much per trip.

Is it half full or half empty? :rolleyes:

Would the state even allow you to get a passport for your foster children? I can totally understand that in your case it would or could be a burden on the budget as it probably is for all families. Just curious, do Canadians have to have passports to cross into border states currently?

Just last week my family & I went to the post office and filed our pass port applications. No matter if they postpone the deadline or not it just seems to be a good idea to get them. Somehow I think the day will eventualy come when we wont even be able to board a plane without one. So just do it. If you cant afford to do everybodys at once, try to get one a month.

I also agree that they need to make Passports mandatory, although I could live with a compromise when it comes to children. Maybe leave it as is for kids 6 or 7 and under.....

Adults should definitely have them, kids, a bit of flexibility could be in order...

Would the state even allow you to get a passport for your foster children? I can totally understand that in your case it would or could be a burden on the budget as it probably is for all families. Just curious, do Canadians have to have passports to cross into border states currently?

No, that is what the new regulation is all about. It isn't that you can't leave the country without a passport, no one without one can get in after the dates specified.One of the considerations for the delay is the effect the new regulations will have on commercial transborder trucking.

Archived