"What If?" -- an insurance question

Marialivia

Now that you've gotten me straight as regards my baggage questions, I have another inquiry for you. (I have scrutinized my travel insurance documents as well as the info from HAL itself and have not found the answer). I am booked on the 6/12 Gems of Baltic cruise and traveling with a friend. What would happen to my "package" if my friend is forced to cancel for any reason? I hope this does not happen and do not expect it at this point -- but what if? Can anyone help answer this? Thanks again. ML:confused:

You are likely to get a number of responses from folks who have never experienced your scenario, but will be happy to speculate. Ignore them all, except for those who have personally experienced the same situation with the same "package" you have.

Have you called and asked your insurance company?

You're less than three weeks out from boarding. Is your friend getting cold feet?

Most certainly contact the carrier of your insurance. This should be covered in the booklet they sent you ... but sometimes it's easy for provisions to get "lost" in the legaleese.

The provider I use covers traveling companions. Some will only cover your household or other immediate family members. Best to get your info from the horse's mouth.

There was a thread quite some time ago that covered a similar scenario. Both parties were booked under the same booking number and under the same insurance policy. When one cancelled, the insurance covered the refund and paid the single supplement for the remaining party. But that was just one situation. Different circumstances and different policies will produce different results. Only your insurance company can tell you for certain.

Isn't this your friend's problem? Since you're well past final payment date I presume that the full cruise is paid for already and that you already have your airline tickets, if any. As long as you still want to go on the cruise, you've got cruise documents and can go and have a good time. Your friend can figure out with the insurance company whether the reason he or she is not going is covered, and to what extent, under the policy.

If you don't want to go then I'd agree that you ought to be in contact with the insurance company directly.

Thanks to all of you for very helpful responses, as always. I will call the insurance carrier, just to ease my mind, although my buddy is not getting cold feet and is otherwise relatively healthy. (Of course, she would be in the same situation if I were unable to go.)

I never considered the scenario whereby I would be able to go alone (which I WOULD do) without paying a single supplement, since her insurance would cover her cancellation. This makes sense! I'll call the carrier later this afternoon.

I appreciate your responding so quickly. :D

I never considered the scenario whereby I would be able to go alone (which I WOULD do) without paying a single supplement, since her insurance would cover her cancellation. This makes sense! I'll call the carrier later this afternoon.

while making tel calls i would call the cruise line and double check with them

If this is a real concern to you, DO check with your specific insurance policy and insurance folks.

Several years ago I had an experience on a Princess cruise such as you are asking about. The outcome was the same as what Grumpy1 described.

HOWEVER, please note AS HE SAID, I also had pay the single supplement. Now, it was fully refunded when I returned home and was able to submit the insurance claim, but I did have to cover it for several months. (So, Princess actually made money on the deal, as they kept her full fare and then got my single supplement on top of that. Since the insurance company did not care - I did not care.)

ALSO, it is important to note that my cabinmate had an ironclad medical reason for not being able to go on the cruise.

Archived