What to do while waiting for flight in Tampa?

odiesam

We are sailing the Miracle in June and have late flights - 7:25 pm out of Tampa. There are 9 of us so the likelihood of getting on an earlier flight standby won't work. Any ideas on what to do? I know there is an aquarium but none of us are really interested in that . Do we have time to do Busch Gardens or watch the Tampa baseball team play? Has anyone else done something like this and still caught their flights? Also where would we store our luggage? And lastly - how late will Carnival allow us to lag on the ship on the morning we get off?

Thanks for any ideas. I know I could have posted this on a Tampa board but I don't think that board gets looked at much.

Too bad you're not interested in the aquarium ~ it's literally right next door to the cruise terminal and will store your luggage for you.

As far as Busch Gardens, I haven't been there, but assuming that with a 7:25 flight you would want to be at the airport around 5:30. Depending on what time you get off the ship, let's say around 9-ish, that would give you 7 to 8 hours at Busch Gardens. The only thing is: what would you do with your luggage while at Busch Gardens?

Good luck. :)

I'm not sure if you'd have time for Busch Gardens. Tickets are Disney level, $60-ish. It's thrill rides and animals. They have several great animal exhibits that get you up close. If your departure day is a weekend, you'll need a solid hour to get from BG to the airport due to interstate traffic. So time will be limited.

If you like to shop, the International Mall is next door to the airport. It's only a few years old and is pretty high end. Lots of great restaurants and fashion shopping.

Scott

Check with Carnival about shore excursions in Tampa. I know that in Port Canaveral you can purchase excursions for your disembarkation day and they keep your luggage somehow (on a tour bus, I think?):confused: Maybe they do this for Tampa also.

TPA is a lovely, modern airport. There are many shops and restaurants. On top of the Marriott hotel is a revolving restaurant where you can watch the planes take off and land. There are also shops on the airside. You probably want to check in by 5:30, so assuming you are off the ship and at the airport by 11:00 you would have a few hours to wait. They also have an area where you can watch television and as I recall a place to check email.

Go to the airport and rent a couple of cars and spend the day at Clearwater Beach. Clearwater Beach has some off the best surgary white, soft sand that I have ever set foot on. :)

I would go with this idea.... do self disembark if possible ... it will give you the most time.... take a taxi to the airport ... check your luggage... and rent a car... it's only about 45 min to Clearwater beach... rest relax for a few hours and head back.... I believe there is even a little carnival right near the beach to enjoy.....

they have a great aquarium and shopping area right near the cruise port....also an area of Cuban heritage, food and art at Ybor City (a short cab ride)....the Clearwater Beach idea is great if you get a rental car...Busch Gardens is worth the ticket price...Museum of Science and Industry...Lowry Park is the local zoo which they say is evolving into a world class zoo...many local harbor tours, some including lunch.....gotta be more...but I haven't lived there in quite a while....

Enjoy!

Beverly

These are great suggestions. But as someone who lives in Tampa, I know how hot it can be in June. Busch Gardens is great but you will be pretty sweaty getting on your plane. I'd stick to the aquarium, International Mall, or one of the many museums.

I would go with this idea.... do self disembark if possible ... it will give you the most time.... take a taxi to the airport ... check your luggage... and rent a car... it's only about 45 min to Clearwater beach... rest relax for a few hours and head back.... I believe there is even a little carnival right near the beach to enjoy.....

We just got off the Elation in Miami and had the same issue. Our flight didn't leave until 6pm. While sitting at breakfast on the Lido deck we noticed the shuttle bus from Alamo. DH whipped out his cell phone, called the number on the bus and 10 minutes later we were all set. We were picked up at the cruise terminal and taken to the Alamo depot by the Miami airport, threw the luggage in the back and drove around for the day. We dropped the car off in FLL in time for our flight. The cost was about $28 for the day, including the gas, and no surcharge for dropping off in a different city in Florida. It was the best solution for us, since a limo from the airport cost us $65 when we flew in! :o

We live in Tampa and given the limited time I would spend time around the port. You can take the trolley to Ybor City. While there you can eat at Floridas oldest restaurant, The Columbia, shop at Centro Ybor, visit Gameworks, or catch a movie at a very nice theater.

Guest YesitDonna

Carnival does offer shore excursions for people with later flights. Not only do they take you there but they take care of your luggage for you while your gone as well.

Carnival does offer shore excursions for people with later flights. Not only do they take you there but they take care of your luggage for you while your gone as well.

The only problem with this idea is that you will probably end up at the airport very early, depending on what flights the other people on the excursion have.

We did this on our Pride cruise, hoping to arrive at the airport mid- afternoonish (our flight was at 6 pm). We left the cruise terminal on a bus around 9:30 am. We were at the airport by 1 pm. Our airline would not let us check our luggage more than 3 or 4 hours prior to the flight, so we sat on the floor for over an hour waiting to check our luggage and check in. (I'm a little fuzzy on the times, it was over 2 years ago.)

I would go with the rental car idea, and explore the city or beaches for the day. :)

I have lived in Tampa a long time and some good places are:

International Mall- new in Tampa by a few years and very nice(for the upscale shopper-great restaurants too:) ). Centro Ybor, not too far from the port-also not far from the airport, great shops and eateries. The florida aquarium- nice, but if u just came from Mexico, its like you've seen it already. Don't go to Busch gardens. I lived around the corner from there and have been there alot and its not worth the cost! MOSI(Museum of Science and Industry) is nice and they have a IMAX theater. The Lowry Park Zoo --its farther from the airport but a very nice little zoo. To eat by the airport-- Landry's Seafood House--they have a nice view of Tampa Bay, Bahama Breeze is nice too, great drinks and atmosphere(live band).

just a few things I can think of......

We are sailing the Miracle in June and have late flights - 7:25 pm out of Tampa. There are 9 of us so the likelihood of getting on an earlier flight standby won't work. Any ideas on what to do? I know there is an aquarium but none of us are really interested in that . Do we have time to do Busch Gardens or watch the Tampa baseball team play? Has anyone else done something like this and still caught their flights? Also where would we store our luggage? And lastly - how late will Carnival allow us to lag on the ship on the morning we get off?

Thanks for any ideas. I know I could have posted this on a Tampa board but I don't think that board gets looked at much.

We will be in the same situation in July...our flights leave after 6pm. However, we did this on purpose b/c we are going to an afternoon baseball game. We are going with another couple and the luggage situation was one of my first questions when we decided to go to the game.

We are renting a car to drive to the stadium. Looking at the online maps it seems that the stadium is only about 20-30 minutes from the airport. I haven't done this first hand so I can't tell you the logistics for sure.

I have also heard that you can't check your luggage in more than 2 hours before your flight. I am not sure how accurate this is though.

Good luck and I hope you find something enjoyable to do for the day!

The Baseball stadium is 20 - 30 minutes from the airport (depending on time of day and traffic) as it is actually in St. Petersburg. There is a stadium right next to the airport but that's where the Tampa Bay Bucs (football) play. Next to that is a small stadium (actually a scale replica of Yankee stadium) where the minor league teams play -- that's a fun afternoon to see up and coming stars and is 10 minutes from the airport.

I agree with previous posters that Busch Gardens would be tough - you can't see and do it all in one day, it'll be hot, and it is a ride from the port and then over to the airport (30-45min each). It's a great park/zoo but tough to do in such a short time and at $60 a pop, a bit pricey.

A day at the beach (i.e. rent a car and head out) is a good idea if you want to go that way - but after the cruise you might want a break from the beach?

There's lots to do in Tampa as previously posted - International Plaza is nice, but it's a big upscale mall (does have some great restaurants), Ybor City area is unique and a lot of fun (many different things to do, great restaurants, movie theater, shops, etc.).

Have a great time. Enjoy Tampa and your cruise!

ALLIEC10,

Where are you renting the car from? Are you cabbing it to the airport from the port to rent the car then going to the game? Or are there car rentals closer to the port? I like the idea of the car rental as long as it is relatively easy.

Thanks again for all of the help!!

ALLIEC10,

Where are you renting the car from? Are you cabbing it to the airport from the port to rent the car then going to the game? Or are there car rentals closer to the port? I like the idea of the car rental as long as it is relatively easy.

Thanks again for all of the help!!

To be quite honest, I am not sure. I have heard that there is a Hertz or Alamo or some rental car agency at the port now. The other couple that we are going with are actually handling this part of the trip. I will email and ask for sure. (S...are you lurking? Can you answer this?)

Another avenue would be to contact Enterprise...they do advertise they will pick you up. Since we aren't from Tampa and haven't spent much time there, I am not sure if they have an office close enough though. It might be worth it to check out their website to see if that is a possibility. Maybe they could deliver it from the airport and you just return it to the airport??? That would seem the easiest to me.

If I find out more information, I will definitely post it!

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Archived