Stoopid Kwestion #674: Lighting on Balconies

Leo Jay

We're in cabin 6232 on Legend (extended balcony -- woo hoo!), and I was wondering what the nighttime lighting is like on the balconies: are they automatic/centrally-controlled, or they passenger-operable? And how bright are they? Will we have to close our curtains at night?

If the ship is not in port, the balcony lighting is disabled by the bridge.

Correct.

Funny though, the first time we had a balcony room we couldn't figure out that on some nites it worked and not on others. There was a switch by the door, but it did not work......duh.......maybe too many cocktails:D

We finally figured it out last day at port;)

• 2 months later...

Reviving my old thread to get a sense of how much light spills out from the room onto an extended balcony. There's only a single narrow door onto the balcony correct? So with an extended balcony, I would imagine there's a lot of area that wouldn't get lit even if the room lights were on, right?

Not that we'll be having parties out there or anything, but I just want to know whether we might want to bring an electric candle or two if we want to sit out there at night. Thanks. :)

Ah. So I guess if we want to be able to read out there at night, we'd need booklights? Though it'd probably be too chilly to spend extended periods of time out there at night anyway...

Note to self

Bring flood lights

Reviving my old thread to get a sense of how much light spills out from the room onto an extended balcony. There's only a single narrow door onto the balcony correct? So with an extended balcony, I would imagine there's a lot of area that wouldn't get lit even if the room lights were on, right?

Not that we'll be having parties out there or anything, but I just want to know whether we might want to bring an electric candle or two if we want to sit out there at night. Thanks. :)

It looks like the whole wall to the balcony is glass, so if you open the curtain all the way, it should be plenty bright. However, looking at the floor plan for your room, your balcony extends past the room and I doubt it would be very bright there...

Spirit-CAT-8-PB.jpg

vincenzo:)

If the ship is not in port, the balcony lighting is disabled by the bridge.

This may be the case on some ships - It has not been the case when we have traveled on the Pride or Spirit. Our balcony light worked the entire cruise.

This may be the case on some ships - It has not been the case when we have traveled on the Pride or Spirit. Our balcony light worked the entire cruise.

If the lighting from you balcony interfers with the bridge they will turn off your lights.

When we were on the Spirit in March of 2005, our balcony light would not work when we were out at sea. We had a extended balcony.

OK, So webshots doesn't like external links to their photos...

Go here to view the picture if it is not visable in myother post:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/231082601/1293683084062547426CKyqeR

vincenzo:)

Yes, thanks, that photo confirms my concerns --there's a large area that wouldn't be lit even if we put the cabin lights on and pulled the curtains back.

I guess we should look into some kind of lighting -- nothing intense, but just something to keep us out of deep darkness if we want to relax out there.

Any suggestions anyone?

Ok, I admit it, when I first read the thread, i thought, what??:confused: What a Stoopid kwestion, but the thread warned me that it would be. However, now that I read all of the posts and looked at the pics, I NOW WANT A BALCONEY!!! I do not have my docs, yet, adn since I don't have that kind of luck, I guess I have to wait until my next cruise to get one. Darn it :D

Archived