SFO Airport Transfer to the Pier...Smooth or Hassle?

caragh193

Greetings All,

Just got our docs for a June 1 sailing and looks like we have a transfer from the airport to the pier in addition to the Pier to the Airport...:p

My question: Does anyone have any experience with SFO Airport transfer to Pier 35? Is this a long process where we will wait around for quite some time at the airport or bus...while folks board the bus?

Are we better off paying the $70.00 and grabing a cab from our house(San Mateo)?

We are thinking of getting a ride to the SFO airport by 12 noon and hope to get to the pier before 1 PM....

Also I read in a thread that the transfer bus is the only transportation that is allowed to go into the pier hanger....is this true??

Any insight here from anyone here would be great! Is it smooth...lots of hassle???

Thanks Much!

Caragh

Caragh,

My parents almost decided to take your cruise but changed their minds. Since you live close enough, why not take a supershuttle from SFO directly to pier 35? That way you don't have to deal with the bus. As far as the buses going into the hanger, I don't think any vehicles are allowed in except cruise supply vehicles.

Embarkation was easy and smooth according to my relatives who went on the coastal cruise a couple of years ago. They were checked in and waiting to board within minutes of my dropping them off.

You may also want to consider driving to the pier. There is a parking lot across the street. We used it a couple of years ago. We parked, then walked across the street to the ship.

Yes, you will wait until the bus is filled.

Take a cab. Plan on arriving at the pier around 10:30. Under normal circumstances, luggage will start to be accepted around that time.

Check-in normally starts between 11 and 1130.

There is no problem taking a cab to the pier. They drop off and pick up right in front of the terminal. Sometimes it gets a little congested.

We took the bus transfer last year from SFO to the Pier. We had no problem. The bus driver asked all on the bus if we wanted a tour of the city before getting to the Pier. Albeit an abreviated tour, it was nice to see parts of San Fran. Getting back on the bus after the cruise was over is a differnt story. Glad we had early disembarkation that day. It wasn't so much that there weren't any seats left, but there was no place left on the bus to put luggage.

Otherwise, I would take the transfer again there. Hope that helps

Jeff

Caragh,

My parents almost decided to take your cruise but changed their minds. Since you live close enough, why not take a supershuttle from SFO directly to pier 35? That way you don't have to deal with the bus.

We have taken the Supershuttle a few times and have never had a problem, they have always met us on time.

Greetings All,

Just got our docs for a June 1 sailing and looks like we have a transfer from the airport to the pier in addition to the Pier to the Airport...:p

My question: Does anyone have any experience with SFO Airport transfer to Pier 35? Is this a long process where we will wait around for quite some time at the airport or bus...while folks board the bus?

Are we better off paying the $70.00 and grabing a cab from our house(San Mateo)?

We are thinking of getting a ride to the SFO airport by 12 noon and hope to get to the pier before 1 PM....

Also I read in a thread that the transfer bus is the only transportation that is allowed to go into the pier hanger....is this true??

Any insight here from anyone here would be great! Is it smooth...lots of hassle???

Thanks Much!

Caragh

Caragh: I lived in San Mateo County for over 40 years and had a law firm in Burlingame, before retiring to a much kinder and gentler Nevada. :D

Since you live in San Mateo, do not understand why you would want a transfer from SFO to Pier 35. As I recall, the cab ride from Pier 35 to SFO cost us approximately $45.00 with tip [thats from memory two years ago.]

I think that you have three better choices than the transfer:

1. Take a cab to Pier 35.

2. Scout out long term parking near Pier 35 and drive yourself.

3. Have a friend or family member drive you to and back from Pier 35.

Almost everyone is let off on Embarcadero at the front of Pier 35. I don't know if Celebrity's busses go into the enclosed pier, but we did notice that a number of buses dropped their pax off in front of the Pier.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Charlie,

I was just thinking we could take advantage of the free transfer from Celebrity which gives us a complimentry Airport to Pier.

I was thinking I could can get someone to drop us at the airport and then take the free transfer, since it is tough to find a ride all the way up to the pier being mid day.

I am now leaning toward a cab....pier parking not an option, as this is a one way cruise and we have to fly back from Vancouver

I appreciate the feedback....

-Caragh

Archived