QM2 on a budget: is it possible?

jinxed

Hi, i have searched the existing threads and struggled to answer my questions, I hope you dont mind me starting a new one. Any thoughts much appreciated!

My partner and I would like to travel on the QM2 on 17 august 2006 from NY to Southampton. We dont have a great deal of money, but nevertheless would like to undertake the voyage! (i almost wrote make the journey, but for us it feels like more of a voyage!) We have never cruised before.

We have a decision to make though - we have been offered a D grade cabin for $1050 each, or a C3 for $1500 each. If we go for the D it means we have more money to spend on board. So my question for the experienced travellers amongst you:

- how expensive are things like drinks on board? and

- if we go for the C3 cabin, is it worth the extra and then limiting ourselves on having a good time lol ?!

we aren't trying to be cheap, but we just dont have much money but really want to go!

any thoughts appreciated,

thank you.

Jinxed, while I've not (yet) been on a TA, I have been on many cruises including one on QM2 (and another coming up in September). What kind of cabin you choose depends on a few things: are you the type to spend alot of time in your room (you may not know the answer to this since this is your first voyage)? Generally, though, I believe that most passengers choose to be out and about and a crossing offers lots of opportunities to meet other passengers, attend a lecture or two, go to the Planetarium to see one of the shows, etc. There is so much to see and do on board QM2 that you may find your cabin to simply be a place to sleep and shower. In my experience, I've found that the type of cabin I'm in is incidental to whether or not I enjoy my time on board. I would think that going with the less expensive cabin would be just fine (there are no "bad" cabins on QM2...all are comfortable and well appointed).

All you are really gaining is a window.. and the possibility of a bumpy ride due to the forward locations of the Cat C oceanviews.

That's one expensive window.

Go with the inside. You'll be surprised how little time you actually spend in your cabin awake!!

My advice is got for the D unless you really feel you're going to spend a lot of time locked away in your cabin (as has been said) when you might find it a little box like.

Which cabin (number) have you been offered? Or on which deck?

And if you love the crossing you might find (as many of us have here) that next time you'll want to take a great cruise or, another crossing but this time in a room with a view (or be so delighted with your inside cabin, you wouldn't dream of any other).

Whatever you do, have a really great time on the largest Liner in the world.

You may find your cabin to simply be a place to sleep and shower. In my experience, I've found that the type of cabin I'm in is incidental to whether or not I enjoy my time on board.

I'd agree. On the QM2, unless you want to upgrade to Grill class, cabin grade doesn't affect your Restaurant. I don't think that there are any bunk beds either (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so unless you plan to spend a lot of time in the cabin I'd go for the cheapest possible!

If you have a limited budget, go for the most economical accomodation onboard that you can find.

Bear in mind that, unless you plan to spend really a lot of time in the cabin, you will not suffer greatly by downgrading as much as possible to save money. While you are asleep (which is normally most of the time you spend in a cabin), you body will not know the difference.

Particularly if you are a first-time cruise, you probably want to get out and about and experience the ship-board life.

People who spend a lot of time in their cabins tend to be experienced cruisers who have seen and done it all already and just like to be at sea. At times, this is all I want and at other times I want to be out and about on-board. But I remember the first time I was on board a ship (35 years ago) I spent almost no time in the cabin (except to sleep).

Hope this helps to give you a guideline.

If you book the least expensive cabin (as others have suggested) you can also try and upgrade without cost near to your departure. Still, I cannot imagine the cabin won't make ANY difference to your experience.

thank you for all your comments, very helpful. Booked it this morning! Have gone for the cheaper inside cabin, and as a result have substantially increased the budget that will be flowing in the direction of a few bottles of wine in the restaurant!!

we are travelling on 17 august from NY to southampton, and looking forward to it. will let you know how we get on!

as a coincidence my parents set off on their first ever cruise this afternoon - we went to wave them off! they have gone for a balcony cabin on their cruise, although i doubt they will spend much time on it as they are off to the Baltics and St Petersburg!

thanks again for your help.

Congratulations on booking the QM2. You're in for a once in a lifetime experience (unless you book again LOL) We had an inside cabin and it was delightful. You can definitely do it on a budget...coffee, tea and juices are complimentary, you don't have to drink alcoholic beverages unless you can afford them. The gift shop items are all expensive, but you will want to pick up a few items without putting you in the poor house.

In case you haven't read elsewhere on the boards, there is a Cruise Critic visitor's log kept at the librarian's desk. Be sure to add your names to those who have experienced this thrilling voyage before you. :D

As we grow up, we learn that even the one person that wasn't supposed to

ever let you down probably will. You will have your heart broken probably

more than once and it's harder every time. You'll break hearts too, so

remember how it felt when yours was broken. You'll fight with your best

friend. You'll blame a new love for things an old one did. You'll cry

because time is passing too fast, and you'll eventually lose someone you

love. So take too many pictures, laugh too much, and love like you've

never been hurt because every sixty seconds you spend upset is a minute

of happiness you'll never get back.

Don't be afraid that your life will end,

be afraid that it will never begin.

~anonymous~

Book an inside and drink the difference!:D

Peter

No, book the inside and spend the difference in the spa!!! :D

OK, I think you get the idea -- whatever you like to do, you're bound to find it worth saving the money to do it -- especially on a TA!

joy

Can you go earlier??

The July 8th departure just went on sale.... you have your choice of either disembarking in Hamburg.. or Southampton... and the rates are fabulous! Same rate for either port.

Can you go earlier??

The July 8th departure just went on sale.... you have your choice of either disembarking in Hamburg.. or Southampton... and the rates are fabulous! Same rate for either port.

And, I'm told, the Germans returning home make the crossing quite lively -- and shock the Americans with their topless sunbathing. But then, some Americans are easily shocked by Europeans.

And, I'm told, the Germans returning home make the crossing quite lively -- and shock the Americans with their topless sunbathing. But then, some Americans are easily shocked by Europeans.

Our first cruise was on Cunard with a "boatload of Germans and Brits" I think we got over our "shock" after the second day. We realized that the culture for vacations or "holiday" (which, by the way, has a different connotation in America- it is strictly used to refer to those days which commemorate something, such as this weekend's Memorial Day) with Europeans was different than what uptight Americans were used to. In some ways, we are much more "let-it-all-hang-out" as in less, apt to dress formally when on vacation and more tendency to express things without thought as to how ego-centric it comes off, but in other ways, we still have that whole puritanical thing about the body and sex. We still titter and giggle about it, which could be one reason so many of us are all screwed up!

Karie,

who can appreciate a well designed body, male or female, fat or skinny, young or old! It's all art to me!

Book an inside and drink the difference!:D

Peter

Ah, my fellow Scot... :D

Glad to hear you booked your cabin. You'll have a wonderful time. Just quiz your tablemates what cabins they have and those with the nicest, sweetly say, "Oh, I've always wanted to see what those cabins look like..." :rolleyes: VIOLA!

Archived