Liquor at the airport

Perseids

I know many say they put liquor in their checked baggage to get it on the ship and it flies right through. I was wondering though since liquor is contraband at Vancouver airport will they confiscate it if it shows up on xray or search?

I know many say they put liquor in their checked baggage to get it on the ship and it flies right through. I was wondering though since liquor is contraband at Vancouver airport will they confiscate it if it shows up on xray or search?

Yes it will show up on xray, how would it not be found if they search??? If you KNOW it is illegal in Vancouver - why do it?

A little aggressive MRDOOD?

Perseids - You are also risking it being confiscated at the pier. The understanding is try it. If it doesn't make it to your cabin its your loss.:eek:

I know nothing about Vancouver. But I have traveled here in the states alot and have never had a problem with a bottle of Southern Comfort stored in my luggage while flying.:D

Just curious, where did you get the idea that liquor is prohibited at Vancouver airport? Especially since their duty free stores are prominantly advertised on their website?

There are import restrictions by customs, but those are restrictions, not prohibitions.

I grew up in Vancouver and travel frequently via the Vancouver airport. If you are a US citizen you can bring liquor to be consumed in Canada into the Country (Canada) with no problems. The import limits apply when you are returning to your own Country. We used to drive to Birch Bay, WA and would bring several bottles and cases of beer with us to our cabin. It was only when we returned to Canada that we were only allowed to bring our custom limit back with us duty free. Theres no problems bringing it into Vancouver but you may not be able to get it on the ship. If its in your checked luggage you should be okay. Just depends on if the ship searches your checked luggage.

I'm curious too though, what gave you the idea that liquor is a contraband at the Vancouver airport?

Sandie

Just curious, where did you get the idea that liquor is prohibited at Vancouver airport? Especially since their duty free stores are prominantly advertised on their website?

There are import restrictions by customs, but those are restrictions, not prohibitions.

4.5 CONTRABAND

Intoxicants No No

Money No No

That is cut and pasted from CATSA's website concerning prohibited items. The "No's" are concerning carry-on and checked luggage.

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/english/travel_voyage/list.htm

I couldn't find the part that you cut & pasted, but I cut & pasted this from the link you posted:

Unidentifiable liquids, such as homemade wine, are also not permitted in your carry-on baggage.

If they specify that "homemade" wines are not allowed, then it seems like identifiable wines & probably liquors are allowed. I've never been to Vancouver, but I fly a lot and I've never heard of not being able to pack alcohol in your checked or carry-on luggage.

Just found this on that same website:

Q: What liquids are NOT permitted past screening checkpoints in OPENED containers?

A: The following are NOT permitted:

• Beverages in metal containers, unless the container is determined to be spill-proof ;
  • Alcoholic beverages in opened containers;
  • Flammable liquids in opened containers (except liquids considered toiletries in limited quantity and medicinal items);
  • Liquids in unlabelled containers;
  • Liquids that are unidentifiable.

Q: What liquids are NOT permitted past screening checkpoints in SEALED containers?

A: The following are NOT permitted:

• Sealed containers of alcoholic beverage containing more than 70% alcohol by volume;
  • Sealed containers of alcoholic beverage with an unknown or indeterminable alcohol content (homemade wine, home-brewed beer);
  • Sealed containers of flammable liquids (except liquids considered toiletries in limited quantity and medicinal items).

So don't worry--sealed alcohol should be fine!

I couldn't find the part that you cut & pasted, but I cut & pasted this from the link you posted:

Unidentifiable liquids, such as homemade wine, are also not permitted in your carry-on baggage.

If they specify that "homemade" wines are not allowed, then it seems like identifiable wines & probably liquors are allowed. I've never been to Vancouver, but I fly a lot and I've never heard of not being able to pack alcohol in your checked or carry-on luggage.

If you looked at the list I saw on that URL I pasted it is section 4.5 at the bottom...

If you looked at the list I saw on that URL I pasted it is section 4.5 at the bottom...

Yes, but they don't specify what they mean by "intoxicants" and I found a part (posted above) that states that alcohol not more than 70% by volume in sealed containers is allowed. So don't worry! :)

(If you click on the "Unidentifiable liquids" link, you'll get to the FAQ list where I found that information.)

4.5 CONTRABAND

Intoxicants No No

Money No No

That is cut and pasted from CATSA's website concerning prohibited items. The "No's" are concerning carry-on and checked luggage.

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/english/travel_voyage/list.htm

OK, just for kicks and giggles, I called CATSA (it's a local call).

4.5 Contraband refers to Customs definitions. Intoxicants basically refers to Ilegal intoxicants or specifc intoxicants that are banned from import. Money refers to sums of money that exceed customs maximums.

You may bring unopened sealed alcohol in your carry-on. You may bring opened or unopened alcohol in your checked luggage.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

Archived