Xunantunich with carnival or private tour group...

Curtis6978

My wife and I along with 2 other couples will be going on the carnival Valor on july 9 - 16 going to grand cayman, roatan, belize and costa maya. We all want to go to see the ruins at Xunantunich. This looks like it will be an all day excursion, should we play it safe, pay a little extra and book through carnival? Or will we be ok if we book through a private tour group? Our main worry is not making it back on time to catch the ship tender. Has anyone taken this excursion with a private tour and had any issues? Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

-Curtis

I'd definitely do this tour with Carnival. There are many other posts about this tour (with Carnival) that say they this tour is the first one off the ship and the last one back. The trip to the ruins is about 2 hours each way.

I would NEVER chance this with a private company. There were no problems except traffic on our tour and we still arrived back "late." But, it was a Carnival tour and they waited for us.

If a private company will save you enough money to pay for your transportation to the next port, hey go for it!

I would pay the Carnival fee and go with them. The tour is very good, the guides are wonderful, and they will hold the ship should you be delayed getting back. It's a long drive out and a long drive back. I wouldn't risk it unless you like trying to catch back up to the ship at the next port.

I loved our tour to Xunantunich and am very excited to be going back to Belize in October. Can't wait to see something new, through Carnival of course!

Stef

• 3 weeks later...

Archived