Todd English

SamanthasDad

For our Cruise in June we are dining in Princess Grill at a large table.

As it is my wifes 40th birthday during the cruise, I thought that we would book Todd English for that evening.

Are you able to specify where you want to sit when you book?

If so what is the layout and the best spots?

For our Cruise in June we are dining in Princess Grill at a large table.

As it is my wifes 40th birthday during the cruise, I thought that we would book Todd English for that evening.

Are you able to specify where you want to sit when you book?

If so what is the layout and the best spots?

If you go to speak with the Maitre d'Hotel in person to book (do this early on since this venue is quite popular), you should be able to see the layout and specify the table that you want (assuming it has not already been booked by someone else).

I am boarding the QM2 on Monday next and will do this -- so if I have any more news about the TE, I'll post it here.

I spoke to the Maitresse d'Hotel today and she told me that, although you are able to specify that you want to reserve a table for 2 people, it is not possible to choose the exact table.

The restaurant has tables that seat 2 people and tables that seat 4 people.

Samanthasdad,

Having dined in the Todd English Restaurant I would stick with the Princess Grill! If the Grills are as good as QE2 then you would not want to eat anywhere else - in fact when on QE2 I never use the lido and just use the Queens Grill for all meals!

I know it all depends on personal taste but I found the food too rich in the TE and very overated. The service whilst good was all a bit pretentious and the restaurant was pretty much empty on the night I dined there with friends!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

I found the food in the grill class restaurants very good. I ate at Todd English several times (24 day cruise) and found the food a bit too rich and WAY too salty!

Host Dan

NorthernNeighbour, thank you for obtaining this information.

As we are away for 12 nights and at a large table. I think that a night to ourselves for a special occasion would be nice. I will make sure that it is noted that it is my wifes 40th when we book the table. They might give us a good table?

I have read many good reviews about this restaurant, so I think that it is worth the risk.

Condsidering what we are paying for the cruise, I don't think that $60 extra is too bad.

As we are away for 12 nights and at a large table. I think that a night to ourselves for a special occasion would be nice. I will make sure that it is noted that it is my wifes 40th when we book the table. They might give us a good table?

I have read many good reviews about this restaurant, so I think that it is worth the risk.

Condsidering what we are paying for the cruise, I don't think that $60 extra is too bad.

Yes, I think you will enjoy being away from the large table on that night. We have a group of eight people at our table -- and tonight we just want to get away from a group setting for one evening. The people are very nice -- but there is just so much you can chat about on a multi-day cruise until you start repeating yourself. And we were joined last night by a CUNARD officer who seemed completely bored -- and I don't blame him, I would hate to have to dine with people as a "duty".

My advice would be to speak anyway with the Maitresse/Maitre d'Hotel to ask if you can have a nice table for two upon arrival. I was told by them that although they take reservations, specific tables are not reserved so you should be able to choose any of the tables that are free the evening you go.

Enjoy -- just out of curiosity, could you revert after the cruise to this thread and post your experience with Todd English. I'm sure other CUNARD cruisers who have not visited it would appreciate it.

I have dined in Todd English several times and have found it to be a good alternative to the Britannia where I was assigned. I have not dined in the QM2 grills yet but have done so many times on QE2, so I cannot comment on the difference. Each time I dined there, I was able to pick my actual table. The service was always excellent. I think you should try it.

Happy Sailings.

Our fellow passengers sailing with us on the transatlantic crossing just about to dock in New York (4 June) report that, while Todd English is very good, there are some minor things that could be improved, considering you are paying a supplement to dine there. Mostly related to level of service not the cuisine.

However, in their defence, the restaurant has been booked solid every night except for some very early seatings. We tried to reserve but since we do not dine early ever, we decided not to go.

Archived