Tips Added to Drinks on Board or Not?

LuvBNatC

I'm sailing on June 4 to Bermuda on Norwegian Majesty and just received my tickets (Yippee!!). Something in the "Welcome Aboard" booklet confuses me about tipping. Hope a recent cruiser can clarify whether I need to bring a stack of small bills or not.

Under "Gratuities" on page 11, it says: "Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent."

This reads like they want you to tip 15% in addition to the tab. NCL used to automatically add 15% to each drink so you didn't have to carry cash on the ship. Do they still do that or not?

This reads like they want you to tip 15% in addition to the tab. NCL used to automatically add 15% to each drink so you didn't have to carry cash on the ship. Do they still do that or not?

We've just filled an entire thread on this topic. Yes, the 15% is added automatically on NCL (but not NCL America) ships.

Hi, The 15% is automatically added. If find bar servers that you want to tip more to, there is a place to write in a tip and it will be charged to your room.

You may, however want to carry cash for people that aren't auto tipped or that you want to give a little something extra to. Room stewards, concierge, etc.

I haven't sailed with NCL since Norway's boiler explosion in 2003, so I wasn't sure if freestyle had somehow changed tipping.

I do usually give extra tips to crew who have been particularly nice or helpful anywhere on the ship, but I seek them out on the last day/night and give them as a personal farewell and thank you, rather than throwing cash around during the week, which might come across as kind of crass.

Archived