Just back POAM

pfd104

We arrived the day prior to sailing and spent the night at Raddisson Waikiki and the morning of the cruise on Waikiki beach (nice way to unwind from the long trip).

Embarkation was fast and simple, from the time we handed over our luggage (2:30pm) to the time we entered the ship was no longer than 15 – 20 mins max. Our cabin was ready at this time too. Our inside 10th floor cabin was small and compact as expected, it was well cleaned and a pre-ordered flower arrangement was placed on the table. I could only find two things wrong with the cabin. After my first shower the drain did not drain and I was stood in about two and a half inches of water! The second was no coffee maker in cabin. I contacted the reception about the two problems, the shower was fixed by the time we came back from supper (very fast), as for the coffee maker…never did get one (certainly not a major issue). The ship overall is VERY clean, bright and I thought spacious. The staff, once again, overall were very good. We did come across some miserable members, but the vast majority was happy to help. I did notice that most of the staff are young compared with other ships, at times I felt that they spent a lot of time trying chat up each other instead of concentrating on the work, (typical teenager/early twenties stuff) The food was excellent, although I’m not convinced the freestyle system works. Its nice to strike up a relationship with a table of eight and discuss the days events and plans as is the eating arrangements on conventional lines. We found that service was slow in the main dinning areas, even though the staff were all busy running around looking after tables at various stages of supper. We also ate at the Cadillac diner and Little Italy, Little Italy was great ….make sure you go once. We did not eat at any of the surcharge restaurants.

As for the days in port, I rented a car through Thriftys at all ports except one, and also rented through them for the post cruise portion of the vacation. My advice……Get the blue chip card from them, no line ups AT ALL! I was VERY happy with thirfty, they had shuttles at all the ports waiting for us (including Honolulu) . The only exception was Kona were I rented through Dollar. As Kona is a tendered port, I was concerned about getting off/on the ship and getting to/from the airport for the car. Dollar has a pick up location at the King Kamehameha Hotel which is a five minute walk from the jetty were the tender stops. For the little extra fee it cost I though it was worth it.

Maui – Day 1

Did the road to Hana, not sure if its worth all the hype? My wife found it boring after only a couple of hours. We also completed the loop instead of returning the same way. The road gets very rough but some of the views are spectacular on this isolated stretch of road.

Day 2

Went to Lahina and Maalaea and Maui tropic plantation

Hilo

Most of the day spent at the Volcanoes NP but stopped off at the Orchid farm and Mauna Loa Macadamia farm on the way back to ship. The cruise by the volcano later that night was a little disappointing. You could certainly see the volcano, but you are long way out. I took binoculars and was glad I did.

KONA

Went to Place of refuge park and the beach beside it. This beach was the one of the best for snorkeling in, spotted three turtles amongst a vast number of different fish. Also went to some coffee plantations and the painted church.

KAUAI – Day 1

Waimea Canyon and then drove up to Haena , Kee beach at the end of the road is worth the drive.

Day 2

Fern grotto area and Wailua Falls and Opaekaa Falls. The cruise past the Na Pali coast was very nice; at times you get very close.

On completion of the cruise we spent an additional five nights at the Raddisson Waikiki.

Anyone wanting further info can contact me.

Thanks for your super informative write-up of your Hawaiian trip and cruise on PoAm.We will be leaving on June 1 for our June 3-10 week on PoAm! So excited and it is great to read the POSITIVE things people find on their cruises, rather than only reading about the problems. Life is too short to concentrate on the negatives we all find in our day-to-day lives and it is refreshing to read an upbeat detailed cruise report that does not gloss over any deficiencies, but CHOOSES to focus on the GOOD STUFF!! Thanks again for your great vacation insights and tips!

Thanks for posting and it tickled me to see that someone else enjoyed the beach at the City of Refuge. We have snorkled up and down the coast and like that spot the best for easy in/out and variety of fish - even saw the elusive Irish Setter fish closer to shore:D

We also share your feelings about the Road to Hana. It was pretty and all, but...

Anyhow, great review and thanks for 'up' feeling it conveyed.

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

I have some questions about the Road to HANA. Are you on a large bus? Do you get out along the way or stay in the vehicle? It IS a very long trip. I am signed up for it because I kept reading that this was something you should do in Maui. Having second thoughts.

Debra, if you have the chance....DO IT. It was well worth it for us, and we got a glimpse of some of the "natural" Maui. We did the trip in our rental car and with all of the stopping along the way (including the circle around the island), it took us about 10hours. We stopped at alot of the pull-overs and spent an hour our so at the Black Sand Beach north of Hana.

346%3C%3B39%3B%3B%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D79%3B%3D%3B%3B3%3DXROQDF%3E232345%3B62%3C%3A%3A5ot1lsi

346%3C%3B39%3B%3B%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D79%3B%3D%3B%3B3%3DXROQDF%3E232345%3B62%3C%3A94ot1lsi

We also spent alot of time visiting all of the old churches along the route. This is the one where Charles Lindberg is buried

346%3C%3B39%3B%3B%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D79%3B%3D%3B%3B3%3DXROQDF%3E232345%3B63723%3Aot1lsi

346%3C%3B39%3B%3B%7Ffp8%3Enu%3D3239%3E6%3A%3A%3E%3A%3C2%3EWSNRCG%3D323254%3C547%3C67nu0mrj

And here's a picture I took (on SUPER zoom) of the Big Island !!! It was very cool to see.

346%3C%3B39%3B%3B%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D79%3B%3D%3B%3B3%3DXROQDF%3E232345%3B638%3B%3A3ot1lsi

Donna/konakraft

Thank you, KonaKraft. I really enjoyed your pictures. I have signed up for the Road to Hana excursion . Because I want to do the Old Lahaina Luau, I can't go on the first day, and doing a long trip like this on a day the ship leaves is just a little nerve racking to me. I wish this were an 8 day cruise with 3 days in Maui.

wasn't gonna mention this but i have read about this problem about 3-4 times now so here goes. in the shower on the poam...look up. there is a round disc. looks like an upside down saucer. push on one side or the other. it swivels upward and this is how the bathroom vent works. as to what it has to do with the drain...... it seems the pressure build up in the room with the way the ship is partitioned, well it makes it (and i am no scientist) it makes it not drain right unless this thing is open. also if there might be a need for the fan after using the bathroom (ya know) it is handy to know this as we didn't figure it out till the 3rd day and the wife was happy after that;) .

Archived