Now what happens?

bubbles1209

Curiosity got the best of me on the way home this evening, so I thought I would ask this question to see if anyone knows what would happen. Let's say you book a cruise and it is hurricane season, and all you need as far as identification is a birth certificate for the ports you are going to. Now let's say you take your photo i.d., birth certificate, and get on the ship. Next thing ya know, they are re-routing because of a hurricane, and the place you wind up going to requires a passport.:eek: Now ............what happens? I probably think too much, but, I guess it could happen.

I have a feeling they would just make it a sea day before they risked not being allowed to dock (or have passengers get in trouble) because they didn't have the proper documentation.

To get off into port and to get back onto the ship, all that is required from Carnival is your sign and sail card.

To board the ship at the port of departure, you must present the required documents. After you board, your good to go.

You should get a passport this year regardless if you are planning on cruising in the future. Get it now to avoid the rush. As of the first of next year, you will be required to have a passport to cruise to Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Besides, it's cool to have a passport.:D

Guest YesitDonna

Even islands that require a passport right now to stay there don't require one if you aren't staying over night on the island so you would be safe.

Curiosity got the best of me on the way home this evening, so I thought I would ask this question to see if anyone knows what would happen. Let's say you book a cruise and it is hurricane season, and all you need as far as identification is a birth certificate for the ports you are going to. Now let's say you take your photo i.d., birth certificate, and get on the ship. Next thing ya know, they are re-routing because of a hurricane, and the place you wind up going to requires a passport.:eek: Now ............what happens? I probably think too much, but, I guess it could happen.

What would happen is - you wouldn't be allowed to leave the ship. Each country has a relationship with other countries. Each country sets the rules for which citizens can come into their country without a passport. I was on a cruise many, many years ago that called at Caracas, Venezuela. There was a large group of Indians (East Indians, of course) onboard, most of whom carried U.S. green cards. They were not allowed to get off the ship because Venezuela requires that citizens of India must have a passport to enter.

It's all mostly politics, as you probably are aware. That's why a Passport is always a safe thing to take with you....

And-you don't think too much. It is a good ponderance!

You should get a passport this year regardless if you are planning on cruising in the future. Get it now to avoid the rush. As of the first of next year, you will be required to have a passport to cruise to Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

FYI...Senate changed it As of May 19th quoted from AOL...

UPDATE: http://www.btnmag.com/businesstravel...online.com.gif

AS OF MAY 19 2006

Senate Votes To Delay Western Hemisphere Passport Rule

MAY 19, 2006 -- The U.S. Senate this week voted to delay new, more stringent documentation requirements for travelers between the United States and other Western Hemisphere countries, including Canada, Mexico and most of Caribbean locations.

The Senate unanimously adopted an amendment to a comprehensive immigration bill offered by Sens. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) and Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) that delays until June 1, 2009, the requirement that travelers to the United States from Western Hemisphere countries present a passport or other secure document to gain entry. The Department of Homeland Security and the Department of State announced the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative on April 5, 2005.

"We are grateful to Sen. Stevens and Sen. Leahy for recognizing the importance of this issue for travel and tourism and for demonstrating real leadership once again," said Jonathan Tisch, chairman of the Travel Business Roundtable and chairman and CEO of Loews Hotels. TBR and other organizations worry the enhanced security measures will disrupt legitimate travel and commerce across the borders.

In his statement submitted for the Congressional Record, Stevens said Alaska "is the only state in the nation which cannot be accessed by land without passing through a foreign country. Alaskans are very concerned about the impact this initiative will have on travel to and from our state."

Stevens said the 17-month delay would provide more time to properly test and implement the new guidelines.

The delay is a long way from becoming law, however. The Senate won't act again on the underlining legislation until next week, at the earliest. Even if it passes the Senate, a final measure will be shaped by a House-Senate conference committee. The House of Representatives has taken a dramatically different approach to the immigration provisions in the bill, making it a felony to reside in the country illegally or aide an illegal immigrant.

Archived