Stingray City in Cayman

trevette1981

:confused: I have a question- I went to a couple of info sites and it say that you don't have to know how to swim to visit Stingray City. IS that true? How deep is the water? I can't swim and the last thing I need to do is drown on vacation,:mad: but I really want to see the stingrays. Someone let me know something please.

Water wasn't more than about chest deep on me or my mother. Neither of us can swim. Mama is short. About 5'2" or so.:)

You will have a wear a flotation device.

and...for worst cases...

You can just stand on the deck of the boat, and look out and see the sting rays. You will see plenty of action and get your moneys worth just from that.

Of all the things I have done on all my cruises...

this is the absolute

"Everyone must do at least one time."

JB

3 - 6 feet. I surely hope you'll be wearing a life vest. BTW, it can get crowded, but it's a really fun expereience - even with 200 of your newest friends giggling in the water along with you.

We didn't.

Not smart. We live near a lake and I'm always amazed by the annual drownings. Many times people are with others who can swim, but they don't wear a life jacket because it's their friends aren't wearing them? On the way down, I bet they were wishing they had a vest.

Well, when you watch all the people in front of you get out of the boat and walk around in chest deep or less water, it seemed safe enough. My mother is very afraid of the water and didn't get out until she realized it wasn't that deep. :rolleyes:

Hi there

I was just there in April with my non-swimming Mother. In fact my Mom is very scared of lakes and deep water. She was fine, she was in the water, which was barely 3 feet deep when we were there.

It's a huge beautiful sand bar out in the ocean. The bottom is soft sand, no rock or shells and it is the most beautiful colour.

You won't drown:p But I guarantee that you will have a wonderful experience with the Stingrays.

Doodlefan

Well, when you watch all the people in front of you get out of the boat and walk around in chest deep or less water, it seemed safe enough. My mother is very afraid of the water and didn't get out until she realized it wasn't that deep. :rolleyes:

Maybe all the people who got out of the boat in front of you knew how to swim. I'm not trying to be a killjoy, I just think that if one can't swim, one should where a vest. And then there's no second guessing whether you're safe or not - or worring about getting pushed into deeper water. I'm sure the OP will have a wonderful time, either way, and I'm glad you did, too!

The first time we were there, we were in water that was up to my chin (I'm a little over 5'). This past time we were in water that was only up to our knees. The first time it was packed with other boats, and the second time we were the only boat at Stingray City (which was awesome). The water depth depends on where your boat anchors and even the weather plays into it.

There are a few different stingray excursions. One is literally only about 3 feet deep at a sand bar. However, there are others that take you to a deeper area of water.

Sorry, I don't have the details at the moment, but just research a little before you book it.

Have fun!

There are a few different stingray excursions. One is literally only about 3 feet deep at a sand bar. However, there are others that take you to a deeper area of water.

Sorry, I don't have the details at the moment, but just research a little before you book it.

Have fun!

We were at the sandbar, but it was also very crowded that day. I just thought I'd mention that you may or may not be in very shallow water. What with GC allowing 5-9 ships daily in port, Stingray is going to be very crowded. It just depends on where they can drop anchor, and in our case (the first time), the place was packed by the time we got there and we were off on the edge.

We went ages ago, so tide changes, hurricane happenings etc., could change things - but this is a picture from our trip

Sting%20Ray%20City%20Grand%20Caymans.jpg

(Always a fun memory about this place, the first few folks got off the boat, and here come the sting rays (i'm sure they know that tourits=free food), and it's like a black cloud... the first folks off the boat, rush back on the boat, until a few folks got brave. Then noone wanted to get back on the boat and leave! The guides held the rays and let us feel them, you can feed them squid from a bucket (they have no teeth) and their fins are so soft and feel cool when they swim by your legs. Great experience for a non-swimmer/non-water person!)

Okay, I booked Stingray City. We get to the port at 7 a.m. and we got to Stingray City from 8:30 to 11a.m. So should I wear my swim suit with a t-shirt and shorts? I would like to just wear my swim suit and the short[/url]s, but I am afraid that may be too "risque" (msp?). This is the suit-

5S1325A_2.jpgWith some capris, is that not appropriate?

Okay, I booked Stingray City. We get to the port at 7 a.m. and we got to Stingray City from 8:30 to 11a.m. So should I wear my swim suit with a t-shirt and shorts? I would like to just wear my swim suit and the short[/url]s, but I am afraid that may be too "risque" (msp?). This is the suit-

5S1325A_2.jpg

With some capris, is that not appropriate?

Love the suit!

Looks gorgeous to me! Wear it! A pair of shorts and maybe a t-shirt or tank top to wear afterwards, or before, would be fine if that would make you feel more comfortable if you want to go shopping or walking around afterwards. Just the swimsuit with the shorts would be perfectly fine. I think the capris may be too warm.

Have a great cruise!

Archived