Cocoa Beach-what's the best?

willzmom

Okay, we are sailing on NCL (June 18th). One of our stops in Port Canaveral. We don't want to do the NASA trip, nor any Orlando excursions. I would love just a quiet beach day. I have read on the boards here before that instead of paying the $39 for the Holiday Inn excursion, to just grab a cab or shuttle and head to the beach on our own. Any suggestions? I couldn't find the posts that I read awhile ago.

Thanks

One option is to take a quick cab ride from the ship to Jetty Park on the south side of the port. You will directly pass this park on your left (port side) of the ship as you enter Port Canaveral on the morning of your arrival.

There is a nice beach with a lifeguard, a camp store, showers, and the new snack bar and bait and tackle shops should be open by your cruise. There is also great fishing at this location, if you're interested, and a long fishing pier that is fun to stroll on. However, there is a $5 per car fee to enter the park, so if the ranger doesn't waive it for the taxi, you would have to walk about 10 mins to get to the beach (very nice walk though on new sidewalks through thick tropical vegetation).

More info can be found here:

http://www.portcanaveral.org/funport/parks.htm

Another option, is to take a taxi to the Cocoa Beach Pier. The cab fare will be considerably higher, but you will have more dining/shopping options. Another plus is the ability to rent beach chairs and umbrellas here.

http://www.cocoabeachpier.com/

We have many, many smaller, more secluded beach access points, but I'm afraid you'd have a problem finding a taxi back to the ship unless you pre-arranged a pickup time with the driver when he/she dropped you off.

Not sure what the $39 Holiday Inn excursion includes, but if taxi ride, beach chair/umbrella rental, use of the huge pool, and a great lunch is included, it may not be a bad deal. They also have a pool-side snack/cocktail bar and a small kiddie water park here for the 8 and younger guests.

Good luck and have fun!

Archived