quick question...diving and ear pain

I haven't dived before but would love to start taking it up (locally with lessons) to prepare for future cruises. But wonder if it's something i'd even enjoy.... When I dive down (while snorkeling to check something out) I get a bad ear ache. Like a pressure type pain. (LIke you would are changing elevations in the mountains). Sometimes this even happens when I swim to the bottom of our 8 1/2 foot pool! Does this mean diving is out or would I get used to it?

THANKS.

To make that pain go away you need to equalize the pressure in your ears. Like when you yawn or chew gum on a plane to make them pop. An easy way to do this under water is to close your mouth, pinch your nose and try to breathe out through your nose. Don't blow too hard though.

When you're diving a good guideline is to equalize every 2 feet on your way down, you'll learn this very quickly.

No, diving isn't out of the question - you just need to learn how to equalize the pressure.... Descend very slowly, and pinch your nose as you descend and blow, as if you are blowing your nose...this will pressurize the eustacian tube and inner ear to balance the increased pressure of the water...likely will need to do this every few feet...it isn't a problem once you get used to equalizing and you should do fine - assuming normal anatomy of the nasal passages and eustacian tube... if you can't equalize, see your favorite ENT doctor for a check... good diving

Thanks so much for your answers! Great to know I can do it, it looks like it would be so enjoyable. Now to find a place to learn. I thought there was a dive center only an hour away, now I see the closest one may be 3 hours away! I'd like to learn soon, but maybe this is something I need to wait to do when my babies ( 3 years and 10 months) are older. :)

Thanks again

Archived