How rude can passengers be?

DarrenT

I have just returned from a great week on Diamond Princess, on the southbound Alaska trip.

However, I was absolutely astounded by how rude the majority of passengers are to the crew, and to fellow passengers.

Some examples -

People would get into a lift, and just say 'twelve', no thank you, or please. They would force themselves into the lift before you had a chance to get out. Noone would say thank you if you held a door open for them.

And whilst at the Pursers Desk, people would just but into your conversation, and say 'pen'. The way waiters were spoken to was also quite unreal. They are not slaves!

Also, what is it with people not being able to use a handkerchief/tissue - the sound of someone honking like a pig whilst you are trying to eat is repulsive.

It really is no wonder that service can be so patchy when passengers are such rude, obnoxious, dirty creatures.

If anyone wants good service or respect... try giving some out in the first place!!

Well.....on another thread.....a passenger made dinner reservations for 8 PM.......showed up at 6 PM.......demanded a table..........and didn't understand why the Maitre 'D was unhappy........:)

I have 2 kids in wheelchairs and there have been times when people have run them over trying to get in the elevator before them and many times we have had to just wait because they were full and no one offered to take the stairs.

Same here. I have a daughter in a wheelchair - a cute little 7 year old with an enchanting smile and the height of politeness. We wait elevator after elevator as people literally throw themselves in front of her to get in to the elevator.

We usually cruise RCCL, but I am researching Princess for our next family cruise. Sorry to hear it's the same rudeness over at Princess...

I have taken a slice of ham and a roll and maybe a piece of fruit from the breakfast buffet. I'll put it in a small zip-lock bag for a lunch on the beach. I don't see anything wrong with it and wouldn't term it rude behavior. I've paid for it. What's the difference between having room service make a sandwich and taking it ashore, and making your own?

There isn't a difference in getting it from room service or making your own, both are against the law in most ports and in some ports can result in a hefty fine.

Hopefully my 8-year-old is getting many lessons in how to behave. We don't walk around with phones to our ears, getting in the way of others or causing drivers to look out for us in parking lots. We return the cart to the cart return (most of the time we're parked near it anyway, rather than at the front of the parking lot). We try to wait until people leave the elevator before getting on and holding the door for anyone trying to get on (yes, people standing by the controls, please look for the "door open" button and use it when necessary). And we greet the crew members with a "good morning" or similar greeting as we pass by them on the ship.

So it's not surprising that our girl will say please and thank you. And if you forget to respond with "you're welcome", she'll keep saying "thank you" until you do. And we often get complimented on her behavior.

There just seems to be an "air of entitlement" around people these days. When some of us wish for the "grand old days" of cruising, it seemed like manners oozed from everyone on board...that's one of the reasons cruising was so elegant. I'm afraid that's slipping away.....btw, I'm only 51 and I loved those early cruises!!!!

I worked for Princess in the 80's which in my opinion was the tail end of the "grand old days".

The passengers were of a totally different mindset to the ones cruising in the 90's.

Not only did they understand & appreciate 4-5 star service but they were polite & a joy to serve.

Once the large ships starting coming into service & the cruising industry became more affordable to most, the passengers became ruder, finger clickers & "Oh Garson" shouters.

I stayed working for Princess throughout the 90's but opted for a job below decks away from the passenger serving the crew, it was the only way I could get a polite conversation & no abuse.

Unfortunately, as another poster had mentioned, as cruising becomes more afforfable to the masses, it brings with it a less than desirable element.

I have met people from very underprivileged backgrounds and they are nothing but polite and courteous.

I have met people who are quite wealthy, and they can be rude and inconsiderate.

My point being...you must TEACH children to be polite and respectful.

It has nothing to do with money...but everything to do with class.

Sometimes you just have to shake your head.

A couple of cruises ago there was a lady SITTING on the stairs with a sketchbook copying one of the paintings on the landing. She had the gall to yell at a Japanese family for talking too loud. They were disturbing her concentration. I so wanted to tell her to get her fat butt off the steps. I did apologize to the Japanese family telling them that not all Americans were that way.

Since my husband uses a wheelchair we have encountered elevator rudeness on every almost cruise and have learned to accept it as well as we can. However, our last 2 cruises have been from Galveston and not once did we have an issue. In fact several times, people offered to get off the elevator to let my husband on. Perhaps it was the predominace of Southwestern and West Coast passengers instead of East Coast ones like us.

Since my husband uses a wheelchair we have encountered elevator rudeness on every almost cruise and have learned to accept it as well as we can. However, our last 2 cruises have been from Galveston and not once did we have an issue. In fact several times, people offered to get off the elevator to let my husband on. Perhaps it was the predominace of Southwestern and West Coast passengers instead of East Coast ones like us.

Speaking for the west coast (and having formerly lived in Arizona), thank you. However, we see a lot of rudeness out here on the left coast, too. And, I've found many easterners to be quite polite!

:-)

We just got back from our Sun Princess cruise to Alaska. This was our 3rd cruise, and I think we had more "rude encounters" this time than any other cruise.

With my DM in a wheelchair, we did experience the pushing and shoving onto elevators, but that wasn't the worst. We'd just wait for another elevator to show up.

The things that got to me were:

- The last three rows of seats in the theater are reserved for those "with mobility difficulties" and their companions. Several times we saw perfectly mobile people simply move the signs and sit there anyway. Now I will concede that maybe their "mobility difficutly" was not apparant (bad heart, etc) but I have to doubt that was the case each time. I thought that was pretty rude.

- Do people think that if they are standing at the back of a theater, they are not really "in" the theater? One night we spent more time listening to the group's conversation behind us than the singers and performers on stage. Even after a few pointed looks, they never shut up once.

- Is there any rational person out there who believes that if you push the person in front of you in a line, you will get there faster? On the way back onto the ship after being in port, a gentleman (and I use that term loosly) behind me literally pushed me all the way up the gangplank. The first shove I ignored. The second earned him a dirty look. The third time I actually turned around and asked him if he thought pushing me would get us on the ship faster. I don't know if he understood me or not (he spoke a different language than I do) but gestured wildly and continued to shove. I even offered to let him go ahead of me, but he just kept pushing. The kicker was, after going through security, he literally shoved me out of the way to get his things off the x-ray belt.

I don't know, maybe I was just in a more "rude alert" mode this trip, due to the fact that one of my seat-mates on the plane felt the armrest was his exclusive property, and had his elbow in my ribs for the entire 2 hour flight!

What ever happened to please, thank you, you're welcome, and a smile???

:D

Well, let me give you my two cents on this subject...While I was traveling in Italy, especially Naples, Italy, I have never been pushed and shoved or ran over by so many people in my life...They do no believe in lines of any kind..Have you ever see a herd of cattle heading for the gate, that is they way they get to anywhere over there..Getting off a plane, or going into any doorway..no lines of any kinds..they just elbow and push and the biggest and most agressive ones win...I was shocked..and finally had to join in, or I would still be standing outside of the hanger at the airport...and they drive the same way...no lines or lanes or red lights..just head as fast as you can for the entry...so maybe some of these rude people are not all Americans..they may be Europeans and for them, that is normal behavior..

We just got back from our Sun Princess cruise to Alaska. This was our 3rd cruise, and I think we had more "rude encounters" this time than any other cruise.

With my DM in a wheelchair, we did experience the pushing and shoving onto elevators, but that wasn't the worst. We'd just wait for another elevator to show up.

The things that got to me were:

- The last three rows of seats in the theater are reserved for those "with mobility difficulties" and their companions. Several times we saw perfectly mobile people simply move the signs and sit there anyway. Now I will concede that maybe their "mobility difficutly" was not apparant (bad heart, etc) but I have to doubt that was the case each time. I thought that was pretty rude.

- Do people think that if they are standing at the back of a theater, they are not really "in" the theater? One night we spent more time listening to the group's conversation behind us than the singers and performers on stage. Even after a few pointed looks, they never shut up once.

- Is there any rational person out there who believes that if you push the person in front of you in a line, you will get there faster? On the way back onto the ship after being in port, a gentleman (and I use that term loosly) behind me literally pushed me all the way up the gangplank. The first shove I ignored. The second earned him a dirty look. The third time I actually turned around and asked him if he thought pushing me would get us on the ship faster. I don't know if he understood me or not (he spoke a different language than I do) but gestured wildly and continued to shove. I even offered to let him go ahead of me, but he just kept pushing. The kicker was, after going through security, he literally shoved me out of the way to get his things off the x-ray belt.

I don't know, maybe I was just in a more "rude alert" mode this trip, due to the fact that one of my seat-mates on the plane felt the armrest was his exclusive property, and had his elbow in my ribs for the entire 2 hour flight!

What ever happened to please, thank you, you're welcome, and a smile???

:D

Your post reminded me of our last cruise. The same thing happened to me while waiting in line in the Horizon Court. There was a lady behind me that just kept pushing me in the shoulder not lightly, I mean it was a push.After about the fourth push I did the same thing as you did and finally just turned around and said, what on earth do you want? She said that she wanted cereal. It blew me away, like the other five people in front of her were just standing there for nothing. No language problems, we were just in her way. I will agree, some of it is because a lot of the passengers are from other countries. Hard to believe that people are happy doing that all day no matter what country they are from.

I guess as others have said, for some, the bad manners come out whether they are on vacation or not. I think that it is this "all about me" world that we live in.

I am so sorry that people did not respect your loved one in a wheelchair. It is really a sad thing.

Linda

We just returned from a 10-day Coral Princess Panama Canal cruise. We are a young family with kids ages 14 and 10 and were traveling with our friends with two kids of similiar ages.

While we were eating dinner one night, a lovely couple came over to our table and said they just wanted to say what wonderful children we have. They'd seen the kids various times on the ship and noticed how mannerly and nice they were. I thanked them and said a compliment like that is a parents' best gift. When they left, we thanked our kids for making us proud. You never know if someone is coming to say they were being rotten kids(you know...like they are at home)!!!

ANother day, I went to meet some of the kids for lunch in Horizon Court. They'd gotten there first and were seated with a middle aged couple that they'd met on their ziplining tour. They were laughing reliving their "tarzan experience"! I just said a quick hello and found another table since I didn't actually know who this couple was (I'd done a different tour). Later on I asked the kids if the couple had been there first and they told me who this couple was and that they'd seen the kids and asked if they could join them. Imagine a couple traveling without kids asking if they could join a group of kids!!! I was impressed and appreciated the niceness of this couple.

Our other experience was my 10-year old son and a guy he met who also loved to play ping pong. My son said the guy had tatoos all over the place and would usually drink a beer when he was playing but he taught him some great ping pong moves! He thought this guy was great...you know, the don't judge a book by it's cover saying....!!

Needless, to say, we had a wonderful cruise and met alot of wonderful people. When you travel with your children you do have to know that not all travelers like kids. My kids seemed to find the ones who did and made a lot of friends for the week. They also made us proud!!

We did find one grump in the pool area and wished they'd go to that way too quiet adult pool area!!! But, other than that, it was smooth sailing!!!!

P.S. I always return my cart to the cart corral. I'll even push a bunch together so they aren't all just there but not pushed together....must be why my daughter says I have OCD!!!

I've chuckled. OP reminded me of this past weekend at the Algonquin Hotel in NYC. The hotel's "lifts" are quite small. After a long day pounding pavement, I wearily entered the 'vater with my daughter; a prim UK voiced lady parked inside the door effused, "Which floor please!?". I responded wearily, "7". She immediately prompted, "please?!" At that moment, a woman entered and the Brit repeated, "Which floor please?". The response, "4". The beaming Brit retorted, "Please! Don't we use - Please!"

Doors shut, silence followed... No one said, "This is New York... We won the revolution."; but we thought it! And, we didn't mug her!

Well, let me give you my two cents on this subject...While I was traveling in Italy, especially Naples, Italy, I have never been pushed and shoved or ran over by so many people in my life...They do no believe in lines of any kind..Have you ever see a herd of cattle heading for the gate, that is they way they get to anywhere over there..Getting off a plane, or going into any doorway..no lines of any kinds..they just elbow and push and the biggest and most agressive ones win...I was shocked..and finally had to join in, or I would still be standing outside of the hanger at the airport...and they drive the same way...no lines or lanes or red lights..just head as fast as you can for the entry...so maybe some of these rude people are not all Americans..they may be Europeans and for them, that is normal behavior..

I've been to Italy (and Naples) a number of times and have not encountered this. I've been to other parts of Europe as well and have not encountered this. If I understand your post, you are saying Europeans are naturally rude - what a rude statement:mad: . I hope when you are abroad you don't act like an "ugly American."

I've been to Massillon. Have you ever been to NYC. Maybe the differences you are perceiving are rural vs city rather than American vs European?

Glad you didn't encounter any rude behaviour while in Naples..I have been there several times ( My sister lives there)and each time I was amazed at the rudeness of the people, and I would like to think it was in no way directed toward me because of my not being Italian..And you can tell I am not native as I am blond and could not pass as Italian if I wanted to..Dont; get me wrong, I love Italy and the Italian people are amazing in all other regards..I loved visiting there, and loved the food, and the culture and everything about Naples...BUT I was shocked by the way they behave when in a hurry to get somewhere and push and shove...But do I think all Europeans are rude..NO, not any more so than all americans are...and I like to think that I represent Americans in a positive light when I travel...I try too anyway!

I would like to think it was in no way directed toward me because of my not being Italian..And you can tell I am not native as I am blond and could not pass as Italian if I wanted to.

My father is from Naples - he has pale skin and blue eyes and can't tan - he burns. I am an Italian American - I have blond hair and green eyes and I also am pale and can't tan. You are mistaken if you believe all Southern Italians are dark. I'm sure you observed blonds with blue or green eyes while in Italy and "naturally" believed all were tourists. By the way, it is very common to see pale Italians in Northern Italy - and I'll bet you could pass for one if you tried.

I saw some pretty appalling behavior on the Grand in 2005. We had been experiencing very heavy seas and high winds. We arrived in Grand Cayman, but the port was in the process of trying to get cruise passengers back to their ships due to the sea conditions. All the ships that had arrived before us had ceased tendering operations, so needless to say we missed that port. It was pretty obvious we weren't going to be able to tender, even before we got there.

The way some of the passengers treated the crew that afternoon really made me sick. It's as if they thought if they cursed loud enough for everybody in the atrium to hear it would change what had happened. Keep in mind we just missed a port...it's not like the cruise got cancelled. I felt so sorry for the purser's staff and the shore excursion staff that afternoon. They kept their cool, but it has to have been difficult.

At dinner that night, one of my tablemates (he wouldn't have been a person I'd choose to associate with, but that's another story) proudly told the tale of the verbal abuse he heaped on the staff that day. Needless to say it was NOT a cruise ship dinner to remember.

I have to add my 2 cents because I was a bit bothered by a couple posts that implied if you scrimped and saved you were more likely to be rude, and since "everyone can practically afford a cruise" there would be more rude people. (This is not the exact words the poster used, this is my impression of what they wrote.)

Whether you have money or have to save to afford a cruise has no bearing at all on whether or not you have manners. I have met homeless people that have more manners than others that are "better off". I think rudeness is more of an attitude of "I'm more important than the next person". It's sad, but that happens everywhere, not just cruises.

Thank you - to the poster who said some disabilities are not so obvious - I have had people come up to me in parking lots questioning my right to have a disability placard, because I don't "look" disabled to them. I usually laugh and say I'll be happy to give them the placard along with all my physical problems!

Remember smiles :D go along way.

Enjoy your cruises.

This oped letter is a prime example of our culture. It's extracted from a major Houston newspaper (there's only one:o ):

I recently attended commencement exercises for ****** High School. Although it was a happy occasion, I became acutely aware of why there is such a lack of discipline among students: If parents and family are a behavior indicator, the students don't have a chance.

Despite a letter to parents describing this event as "dignified" and stating that noisemakers, air horns and personal banners were prohibited, an unrestrained party atmosphere ensued.

I didn't mind their shouting out while the graduates entered or when their names were called for receiving their diploma. However, many in the crowd continued calling the graduates' names during the singing of the national anthem and while the Pledge of Allegiance was recited, as well as during the very short speeches given by dignitaries and students.

This behavior showed a complete lack of respect. The use of horns during the awarding of diplomas denied the next two graduates' families the ability to hear the names, and the pleasure of hearing their children's names being called as they walked up for their diploma.

Finally, many families stood up and just walked out after seeing their graduate cross the stage, totally ignoring the remainder of the graduating class and their visiting families and friends. Despite the undignified atmosphere, I still send my congratulations to the Class of 2006.

Does this general behavior have a familiar ring?

These folks will celebrate their kids graduations by cruising with you this summer.

To Cindy: It was not an AISD school.

I hope you checked the agricultural rules before removing food from the ship – often times it’s against the law to take food off the ship into port. And really the proper thing to do would be to eat it on board, rather than packing a lunch to take off at the buffet – that’s not really the purpose of the buffet, is it?

Check the agricultural rules?!?

Geez, I've done ALOT of research for my upcoming Alaska cruise, but I've missed this step.

I'm curious, do you pack any "goodies" from home as excursion snacks? Would these apply to agricultural rules and taking food off the ship?

I recently attended commencement exercises for ****** High School. Although it was a happy occasion, I became acutely aware of why there is such a lack of discipline among students

"Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers."

Socrates

Archived