How rude can passengers be?

DarrenT

Check the agricultural rules?!?

Geez, I've done ALOT of research for my upcoming Alaska cruise, but I've missed this step.

I'm curious, do you pack any "goodies" from home as excursion snacks? Would these apply to agricultural rules and taking food off the ship?

Sorry, you original post didn’t indicate the location of your ship when you were in the buffet packing your lunch. When I pack “goodies” to take from home when I’m going somewhere, I usually don’t travel to another country where agricultural rules are different. I do have to be careful, however, when bringing plants or fruit into California from other states as there are agricultural rules which prohibit me bringing certain things in – they are in place to protect California’s farming industry.

I don’t know what the rules are about bringing food into Alaska, but I do know there are other ports of call where it is strictly forbidden – and it will say so in the Patter so you don’t have to do much research. Take your chances, but if you get caught don’t blame those of us who warned you.

Sorry, you original post didn’t indicate the location of your ship when you were in the buffet packing your lunch. When I pack “goodies” to take from home when I’m going somewhere, I usually don’t travel to another country where agricultural rules are different. I do have to be careful, however, when bringing plants or fruit into California from other states as there are agricultural rules which prohibit me bringing certain things in – they are in place to protect California’s farming industry.

I don’t know what the rules are about bringing food into Alaska, but I do know there are other ports of call where it is strictly forbidden – and it will say so in the Patter so you don’t have to do much research. Take your chances, but if you get caught don’t blame those of us who warned you.

I was going for "tongue-in-cheek".

"Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers."

Socrates

Yet Socrates' best friend was his student, Plato. Funny, I guess there are exceptions to everything.

My observation is also more encounters with rude arrogant passengers on iteneries with Alaska, Mex Riveria, ports departing from west coast. The overall atmosphere, no matter what line or ship does not feel bonafide friendly.

My observation is also more encounters with rude arrogant passengers on iteneries with Alaska, Mex Riveria, ports departing from west coast. The overall atmosphere, no matter what line or ship does not feel bonafide friendly.

Well, I certainly hope that's not true! My first cruise with my DH will be on the Sun to Alaska, for our Honeymoon. We are from the west coast, but neither of us apreciate rudeness. (I guess that goes without saying?). I can't say we don't encounter rudeness on a semi-regular basis. Depending on the behavior, we might share an eye-roll :rolleyes:, or we may aviod the rudeness by changing our direction.

We recently went to a play where everyone was waiting to enter the theater, and when the doors opened, everyone started pushing and shoving to enter, even though the seats were assigned and the play wasn't to begin for another 30 minutes! DH and I sat in the lobby away from the throng, and walked in comfortably after the crowd died down. Even if seating wasn't assigned, we probably would have done the same, as long as we could be together.

I guess that is the long way of making my point. It isn't always possible, but as much as we can, we try to simply avoid rudeness, or not let it get to us. There are times that you cannot avoid it (the people who push and shove mobility-challenged people to get somewhere first should really be ashamed of themselves!), but all we can do is lead by example. Even a happy smile and a positive attitude goes a long way, sometimes!:D

"Upping the bar" for the west coast contingent!:)

-Vanessa

On a 24-day Pacific Princess (new) cruise, our table for eight was lined up next to a table for two that had the two oddest people I've encountered seated at it. They dressed formally every night (but in strange clothes), and made a grand, sweeping entrance. Once seated, they proceeded to give our mutual waiter hell. Night after night they yelled at him. He had to cut all their meat, and they nearly always sent something back and always requested the courses out of order. She spilled her water once, and they screamed for our waiter to wipe it up and made him wait next to the spill area while they summoned the Head Waiter to inspect his job. They complained to the Head Waiter constantly, and honestly, Noel was the best waiter we've ever had. We spoke on his behalf to the Maitre 'd and made sure to tip him quite a bit extra.

Interestingly, we never saw that couple out and about on the ship at all, which is odd for such a small ship and long sailing. Not sure what they got up to when they weren't berating the waitstaff.

If ya really want to see bad adult behavior, put shrimp out on the buffet table; the bigger the shrimp, the more frenzied the crowd................a person could get killed!

Parents with bad manners spawn children with bad manners....it has been ever thus....

Quote..But I digress....you will be happy to know that we are raising our little boys to use their manners and to be respectful. Our 3-year old always says thank you, though sometimes he gets a bit confused and says "you're welcome" instead! hehe They are future cruisers too!

But, I like that so much more than what so many young people reply to you nowadays when you thank them. Instead of saying "you're welcome" I continuously hear "no problem". It makes me feel as if I'm intruding in what they would rather be doing and, since it's usually in a restaurant and they know they are expecting a tip, they have to have some kind of reply.

A few weeks ago, DH and I were in a restaurant and being waited on by a delightful young woman who actually thanked us for coming in. When we thanked her right back, she said "You're welcome, my pleasure", we were floored. What used to be standard now stands out as a rarity.

Oh madelinerose,

You hit the nail on the head! I always tell my kids (and my husband!) that if you make eye contact, people actually feel like you are listening to them and that what they are saying is important.

I love walking the Maine beach in the morning and it's so funny - if you get out very early you get the happy, smiling crowd that usually makes eye contact and gives you a hearty good morning. Stay in bed and you get the grumpy walkers!!!

Happy sailing!!

Bobbie, that really is so funny! Must be something about those Maine mornings? hmmmm.... ;)

I love walking the Maine beach in the morning and it's so funny - if you get out very early you get the happy, smiling crowd that usually makes eye contact and gives you a hearty good morning. Stay in bed and you get the grumpy walkers!!! Happy sailing!!

I can understand the anger at rude people. I have worked in customer service for over 10 years and believe me I have seen some rude people. I have had people not want to wait their turn and are in such a hurry to leave that they won't give me2 minutes to look over the airbills to make sure I have all the information I need.

We are also teaching my 3 year old niece to have manners. We tell her to say please and than you. I won't give her anything that she asks for until she says please. If she burps we make her say excuse me.

I really didn't see that many rude people on the costal cruise on the Coral.

NavySis

Thought long and hard before jumping into this one, but regarding the comment:

There should be a page in the cruise answer book on how to treat the crew.

Why shouldn't they be treated with the same dignity and respect shown to anyone else on the ship?

This oped letter is a prime example of our culture. It's extracted from a major Houston newspaper (there's only one:o ):

I recently attended commencement exercises for ****** High School. Although it was a happy occasion, I became acutely aware of why there is such a lack of discipline among students: If parents and family are a behavior indicator, the students don't have a chance.

...Finally, many families stood up and just walked out after seeing their graduate cross the stage, totally ignoring the remainder of the graduating class and their visiting families and friends. Despite the undignified atmosphere, I still send my congratulations to the Class of 2006.

Does this general behavior have a familiar ring?

These folks will celebrate their kids graduations by cruising with you this summer.

To Cindy: It was not an AISD school.

Nowadays, schools have to remind parents not to skedaddle midway through the holiday concerts, after their kids' class performed. But many do anyway. We always have stayed for the entire concert. Maybe that's partially because I used to be in the school orchestra and also because I may be missing a really excellent performance later on.

I also performed in coffee houses and comedy clubs for a short while. If I was waiting my turn, I would try to listen to other performers. But at one showcase I was in, at the next table was a group of inconsistent people who kept talking. We shushed them but just got glares back. When their friend was on stage, it was really obvious: one of them laughed really loud in a fakey way. I recognized her, an actress of short statue who used to be on a popular nighttime soap (you'll probably figure that out). You would hope that an actress would know how to be a good audience.

Nowadays' date=' schools have to remind parents not to skedaddle midway through the holiday concerts, after their kids' class performed. But many do anyway. We always have stayed for the entire concert. Maybe that's partially because I used to be in the school orchestra and also because I may be missing a really excellent performance later on.

[/quote']

At my law school graduation, we had one family sit in the very front with their very small child who cried the entire time. We would've all been glad to see them leave halfway through, or at the very least get up and go to the back of the room. As it was, I only heard about half of the speech that was given, due to the fact that this child was crying so loudly.

The beaming Brit retorted, "Please! Don't we use - Please!"
So... why is it that Americans generally don't say please/thank you? I do appreciate that there are many cultures in the world... but maybe simple things like this are why many (but not all) Americans come across to the rest of the world as rude, and agressive?!? Maybe because (probably) the majority of cultures expect/appreciate a please and/or thank you, as they say it themselves. We just call it being polite.

If it is all about 'culcha'... appreciate others with a different culture!

So... why is it that Americans generally don't say please/thank you? I do appreciate that there are many cultures in the world... but maybe simple things like this are why many (but not all) Americans come across to the rest of the world as rude, and agressive?!? Maybe because (probably) the majority of cultures expect/appreciate a please and/or thank you, as they say it themselves. We just call it being polite.

So... why is it that the British are prone to sweeping generalisations? :D (Just kidding!)

Many American do say please and thank you. And unfortunately, there are plenty of rude people of every nationality to go around. I think we tend to notice the rude ones more, and the polite people skim under our radar.

Lisa

To be fair we Brits are just as bad, while travelling on an entirley brittish cruise last year, the number of people that would let doors swing shut into you, or when you held doors open for them, or allowed them to pass through first without saying thanks, or cheers or anything to you was unbelievable. Im sorry to say that this was mainly the older persons as well!

Also Naples is a wonderfull place once you get used to it. Especially the way you cross the road - just walk out they all manouver around you.

And in there defense, my family went on one of the Red Naples tour busses my dad's wallet with all his C/C, cash etc. and stuff to get back onto the ship fell out his pocket and was left on the bus. Not expecting to get it back, we wondered back to the main departure point and spoke to one of the staff, who handed over the wallet and even insisted that he check the contents to ensure all was there and refused to take anything in return for finding it. - Sad to say, had that happened where I live, chances are it would never have been seen again.

I find the following helps keep me sane and focused. Although I don't do it perfectly, it certainly is a goal of mine:

"I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and my attitudes"

It's true you do see some very rude people -- I was at a trivia game where this older lady was trying so hard to help her group she would blurt the answer out - this one couple who had been on Many cruises & actually studied the trivia cards in the game room -- told her in the middle of the game to get out & leave their group -- we all couldn't believe it -- after the game the guy running the game found her & gave her a special prize - after that no-one played with them & they would just win on their own --I hate to think how they treated people trying to serve them :eek: -- gotta get those luggage tags !!

At my law school graduation, we had one family sit in the very front with their very small child who cried the entire time. We would've all been glad to see them leave halfway through, or at the very least get up and go to the back of the room. As it was, I only heard about half of the speech that was given, due to the fact that this child was crying so loudly.

this reminds me of the piano recital we went to last summer (my girl was one of the pianists). One baby was crying and the school's director pointedly suggested that the musicians need quiet so all cell phones need to be turned off and any noisy children taken out (she said it in her "talking to children" voice, not a nasty voice). She added that her husband was taping it for the DVDs that the parents will be purchasing. So of course, the crying baby's parents didn't take the kid out. Would it have killed this family to have one parent carry the child out and walk him or her outside like the rest of us have done? Certainly the kid wasn't enjoying himself (or needed food or a diaper changed).

I beg to differ. Every single cruise out of the west coast that we've been

on, the passengers have been extremely laid back and polite, for the most part. Of course

there are rude people on every ship, but

on our last cruise out of the east coast (Ft Lauderdale) we had a dispositive experience

with a shipload of rude passengers. It was so dispositive that we always

opt for the west coast these days. I've been on cruises out of Miami before

and we had similar experiences, fistfights breaking out on the ship, et cet,

people always trying to cut in line at the tender stations. Screaming about

lounge chairs (chair hogs) and yelling loudly in the dining rooms.

I personally haven't witnessed this particular behavior on any west coast cruise. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but me personally, I have not witnessed that.

The rudest thing to ever happen to me on a cruise ship was that above-mentioned cruise on the Golden Princess in December 2003. I had just sat

down to play the slot machine and this lady who reminded me of "Maxine"

on the Hallmark greeting cards proceeded to stand behind me (I suspected

that she wanted my slot machine) and then I paused for a moment to get

more money and she barks out, "ARE YOU PLAYING THIS MACHINE?" to which

I answered yes, ma'am, that I'd just sat down to play the machine and

she barks back at me, 'Go ahead, TAKE YOU TIIIIIIIIIME!" to which I replied

that I would. She continued to hover over me, breathing like a dragon woman, and I proceeded to sit there and play my machine, but it eventually

got on my nerves and I just left. It's no fun to gamble when someone is

hovering over you watching every move.

I couldn't believe the boldness! That was only one example of the trip from

"heck"

Archived