How rude can passengers be?

DarrenT

this reminds me of the piano recital we went to last summer (my girl was one of the pianists). One baby was crying and the school's director pointedly suggested that the musicians need quiet so all cell phones need to be turned off and any noisy children taken out (she said it in her "talking to children" voice' date=' not a nasty voice). She added that her husband was taping it for the DVDs that the parents will be purchasing. So of course, the crying baby's parents didn't take the kid out. Would it have killed this family to have one parent carry the child out and walk him or her outside like the rest of us have done? Certainly the kid wasn't enjoying himself (or needed food or a diaper changed).[/quote']

I understood why they didn't want to leave completely (probably their family is their babysitter so didn't want to miss it either), how many times do most of us have a relative that gets their law degree? But it was an extremely large room (held over 1,500 people), they could've gone towards the back and still seen everything.

I understand about the music recitals as well. My mother has been well versed over the years (because of me) in how to behave at recitals, concerts, and the like. She would get outraged for me when people wouldn't be polite.

......but all we can do is lead by example. Even a happy smile and a positive attitude goes a long way, sometimes!:D

You are Right...Right ...Right!!!! We can only lead by example because action does speak louder than words....hopefully someone is watching!!

.......Oui :)

Although I agree that there are some rude people out there, I don't really believe they constitute a majority.

I think you are right, but they are an ever increasing vocal and far too present minority, which far too often overshadows the majority.

I understood why they didn't want to leave completely (probably their family is their babysitter so didn't want to miss it either), how many times do most of us have a relative that gets their law degree? But it was an extremely large room (held over 1,500 people), they could've gone towards the back and still seen everything.

I understand about the music recitals as well. My mother has been well versed over the years (because of me) in how to behave at recitals, concerts, and the like. She would get outraged for me when people wouldn't be polite.

We don't have access to a good babysitter so our girl goes with us on cruises, etc. But when she was really little, if we were in the movie theater and she started fretting, one of us would take her out and walk around outside of the theater. Same thing with restaurants.

The music recitals are held in a room with about 100-120 in attendance. I know it's hard if the child started crying right before big brother or sister was about to perform...both parents wanted to be there. But I would think it would be disruptive for the older sibling to hear the crying, just as it would for the other performers (some in this school may be only 4 or 5 years old). Did the parents think that the director of the school wasn't speaking to them?

Did the parents think that the director of the school wasn't speaking to them?

I think it's like here on Cruise Critic. Someone comes back from a cruise and complains about some unruly (fill in the blank, kids, teens, adults) and everybody says it wasn't me! People don't always recognize themselves. Or they have the "It's my vacation (life, etc) and I can do what I want!"

People don't always recognize themselves. Or they have the "It's my vacation (life, etc) and I can do what I want!"

How to recognize a narcissist :

from

http://www.halcyon.com/jmashmun/npd/howto.html

The Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD), the Narcissist,

and Relationships with Abusive Narcissists and Psychopaths

from

http://samvak.tripod.com/faq58.html

is it the pople that are the apologists for the rude ones.

Almost without exception, someone will remark on another person's poor behavior and immediately, especially on these boards, a crowd of do-gooders jump to the defense of the ill mannered person.

Guy comes to dinner drunk and rowdy....the do-gooders defend him because his mama didn't make his oatmeal right when he was a kid. People shove their way in line and the do-gooders defend him because his daddy traveled on business and wasn't there for his little league game.

Nobody is to be condemded for rotten behavior....only condemn those that wish for a return to a more civil society.

On the Coral Princess this past April, I was heading into the ladies room just outside the theatre. A man (65-70'ish) was holding a ladies purse and said to me, "can you tell *****to hurry up, the show is going to start". I said sure and when I went into the ladies room, I said the ladies name, and nicely told her what her husband had said. Not two seconds later, the man opened the bathroom door and yelled at the poor woman to hurry up. They weren't going to get seats for the show.

All of us just felt so bad for this poor woman. She was so beautiful and dignified looking (you know...the woman who is still elgantly beautiful with the perfectly styled blonde hair..you know she was a knockout in her younger days), and he'd just berated her in a public space that he had no right in. She apologized for him and left.

I felt awful for her and hope this was just a bad day for him. I'd hate for her to live like that all the time.

As ships carry more and more people, annonymity permits those who behave badly to escape any comments or criticism of their behavior. It's not just Americans, either. Some of the worst examples of rude behavior we've been exposed to were caused by people from outside the US border, some north, and some south, and some from further away. Most cases were definitely not cultural difference, it was just plain rude behavior.

Jim, you make a good point. How often do we hear comments that we should respect others, when the "others" we are supposed to respect do not return the respect? Respect is a two-way street.

All of us just felt so bad for this poor woman. She was so beautiful and dignified looking (you know...the woman who is still elgantly beautiful with the perfectly styled blonde hair..you know she was a knockout in her younger days),

It would have been diferent if she was ugly and undignified looking and an unkempt redhead.

Jim, you make a good point. How often do we hear comments that we should respect others, when the "others" we are supposed to respect do not return the respect? Respect is a two-way street.

Self respect is a one-way street and ultimately the only one we can control.

............Oui

It would have been diferent if she was ugly and undignified looking and an unkempt redhead.

Very good point! Why does the poster assume a beautiful woman deserves more respect than any other woman? Odd value system.

Is the assumption that she could have had her pick when she was young, but chose a lout? Meanwhile an average or below average woman might have to choose an abusive man and be grateful to have any man? If so , the poster must think men are terribly shallow and women trade on their looks. Actually, I think a man to chooses a "trophy wife" based on her looks is more likely to disrespect her.

Self respect is a one-way street and ultimately the only one we can control.
I'm not sure if I'm following you. We can control how we interact with others. On a cruise ship, with its very high population density, it might be more important than anywhere else.

I’ve cut out some of your post for brevity, but I did want to comment.

I’ve been accused of blindly supporting the crew on cruise ships, but this is exactly the reason. You are absolutely correct. Every crew member on board a ship is trained to provide the utmost in service, but then they are beaten down day after day by rude, demanding and ill mannered passengers. I’ve seen crew members reduced to tears by passengers who choose to berate them because they can. The horrible part of it is that the passengers seem to take delight in what they’ve done. Some passengers think because they’ve paid for their vacation, they deserve everything immediately upon demand. They don’t seem to realize there are on average 2500 other passengers on board who have also paid for their vacation.

quote]

bdjam, I cut some of your comments for brevity as well but some passengers are absolutely rude to the crew especially the buffet and dining room wait and cleaning staff. From the tone/volume of their voice to their actions... IMHO some of these "ill-mannered" people consider themselves to be better than the others :( We're all equals after all.

I'm not sure if I'm following you. We can control how we interact with others. On a cruise ship, with its very high population density, it might be more important than anywhere else.

I think we agree here :) ...Just saying that mutual respect would be ideal...but sometimes we can only achieve and maintain self respect by not descending to the depths others may try to pull us down to.

............just a thought..Oui :)

All of us just felt so bad for this poor woman. She was so beautiful and dignified looking (you know...the woman who is still elgantly beautiful with the perfectly styled blonde hair..you know she was a knockout in her younger days), and he'd just berated her in a public space that he had no right in. She apologized for him and left.

He probably also admonishes his staff in public in front of others (assuming he is in charge of people...I hope he isn't). There's a Yiddish word for someone like this (as well as the English ones that I know you folks are thinking of).

I've done my best to avoid this thread, but it has stuck around so long I just have to post:) LOL

We are 33 and 37 and just love to travel, meet new people, and discover new places. Our first cruise was on the SUN in Feb, prior to this we had done all inclusives to many islands. I have to say I was amazed by the rudeness of some on the ship. We had about a dozen children on the cruise and they were better behaved then most adults.

What surprized us the most was direct comments to us about our age. We had people tell us straight up we were too young to be on a cruise, ask us how we 'could afford' this cruise, and tell us they couldn't at our age so how could we. It amazed me how 'in your face' people were. I've never in all my travels experienced it.

We did meet some wonderful folks during the 10 days. I have always found that if your polite, it is returned to you ten fold.....although some on our ship seemed to have the reverse thinking:)

It always annoys me to see people treat staff poorly....they work such long hours, and really do a great job.

Smile, and a smile will be returned.......

He probably also admonishes his staff in public in front of others (assuming he is in charge of people...I hope he isn't). There's a Yiddish word for someone like this (as well as the English ones that I know you folks are thinking of).

Kvetch, or Shlamiel? Or am I being too "nice?"

Just guessing....:)

-Vanessa

On the Coral Princess this past April, I was heading into the ladies room just outside the theatre. A man (65-70'ish) was holding a ladies purse and said to me, "can you tell *****to hurry up, the show is going to start". I said sure and when I went into the ladies room, I said the ladies name, and nicely told her what her husband had said. Not two seconds later, the man opened the bathroom door and yelled at the poor woman to hurry up. They weren't going to get seats for the show.

I felt awful for her and hope this was just a bad day for him. I'd hate for her to live like that all the time.

Now THIS I understand, what the heck do you guys do in there anyway that takes so long?

Now THIS I understand, what the heck do you guys do in there anyway that takes so long?

Why does it take you so long in the bathroom to get ready to go somewhere.

from

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=1006041223459

Only a woman will TRULY relate to the following, but it's fun for all!

from

http://babble.the-protagonist.com/index.php?showtopic=7440

What surprized us the most was direct comments to us about our age. We had people tell us straight up we were too young to be on a cruise, ask us how we 'could afford' this cruise, and tell us they couldn't at our age so how could we. It amazed me how 'in your face' people were. I've never in all my travels experienced it.

I had to laugh at your post because we are nearly 60 (but we must look younger) and we were heading home from a 14 night cruise. A "lady" sitting in front of us on the shuttle (from FLL to TPA) turned around to ask us how we could afford a long cruise. I smiled sweetly and told her we sold drugs :eek: If you do this with a straight face it shuts them up in a hurry. :)

You have to wonder about people like that. Is it that they don't understand the actual price of a cruise (that you can find some for about $100/day) or that not all passengers on ships are over the age of 75? Is it just that they are busy bodies?

Archived