chair hogging..is this as big of a problem?

blga

I was on a 10 day cruise on Dawn. Although, this ship doesn't have many balconies, I never had any problem finding a nice steamer chair on the promenade deck. On a 7 day cruise on either the Diamond or Sapphire - again no problem. I don't know about chairs right near the pool, but there seemed to be plenty chairs on the open decks especially in the sun.

I have a question - this is not meant to be sarcastic - I am just curious. Why do so many people want chairs near the pool? I can understand if it's parents watching their children swim. But if it is just to relax and sunbathe, wouldn't a chair facing the ocean be preferable. After all how often does one get to view the open ocean. On the other hand, viewing a pool is a common situation on land. Even inexpensive hotels have pools and many towns and cities have a community pool. The only thing I can think of is that it may be for "people watching," still, the ocean is a more unusual sight. Or is it so that one will have only a short walk when one is wet?

Wrong!The official PRINCESS designator for Sea Princess is CP(I received an email from an officer there yesterday and his email begins with CP ).CB is Caribbean and CO is Coral.You can call it what you want but these are correct.Its like Personal Choice being used to describe Anytime dining.Personal choice is Traditional,Anytime,Buffet,Specialty restaurant or in room dining.

You did not read my post correctly.. I said here on the Cruise Critic, CB was used for the Caribbean and CP for the Coral.. I did not say it was the correct Princess designator..

I seem to remember a long time ago (probably almost 20 years ago now) renting a deck chair when I first got on board the old Oceanic when it was with the Home Lines. You paid a price for the chair for the entire cruise and it was yours for the entire cruise. You had a deck steward that pulled them out in the morning, made sure they were clean, got you towels, drinks, etc., then stacked them all up at the end of the day. If someone sat in your chair, he made sure they knew it wasn't their chair. He was one of the envelope recipients at the end of the cruise, and did a heck of a job!

With cruise lines looking to find new revenue streams all the time, this seems to be a great way to do it and also end the "chair hog" issue at the same time. I, for one, would welcome its return!

From viewing these posts, people are not happy about paying $1.15 for a good cup of coffee, I would think that they would be even more upset about paying to rent a chair!! Or are chairs more important than coffee???

DO I want a GOOD CUP of coffee in a Lounge chair BY THE POOL???

I don't care what I get, as long as I GET ON the ship.

I agree, you don't really "need" chairs by the pool if you don't have kids, but sometimes it seems, especially on Carnival, that is where the fun is, (the bands, most the people and activities, (around the main pool). I don't read while I am out unless I am in the shade, too hard to see the pages with sunglasses. Most times I totally agree, as long as I am in the sun, looking out at the ocean, I am thrilled. Truely heaven!! Still, as you are searching for a chair at 11am or 12, and you walk by so very many, especially by the pool area, but everywhere really, that are empty without a sole around, and you can't find an empty one, that is definately frustrating. This was such a big, big problem on the two carnivals I took, but then this ship is even bigger so maybe that will help. Also, I didn't even think of it, but I have a balcony. I have never had a balcony before so I never even thought about being able to sun out there!!! (still I would miss all the people watching!)

Sorry to go off topic, but huh?

The Dawn has fewer balconies per passenger than the Diamond or Sapphire. Assuming some people actually use their balconies during the day, that should free us loungers elsewhere. Don't you think??

Archived