Review of First Cruise: 7 Day Western Caribbean on Caribbean Princess

scurveydog

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us. I enjoyed every minute of your review and am truly sorry to see it end. You must go on another cruise soon so we can read about it again.:D :o

Lynda, you are welcome. I assure you that among the things I must do in life, going on another cruise is near the top of my favorites:) . May I ask you to share a recommendation or two regarding cruising to Alaska? I want to do this and I notice you are doing a B2B.

Oh, Scuveydog, I was just scrolling thru the sites and saw your name. My DH is watching a movie and I said......IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE....He said what is here and I said the final episode from scurveydog. I was like a kid just going to Disney for the first time. Great as usual and gosh am I going to miss you. I am serious though what you did on the weekend should be fun to read.:D

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR THIS OUTSTANDING REVIEW AND YES I AM SHOUTING AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS.:)

Until next year, I shall write a review when I come back from my Eastern on the CB July 8th but I am affraid it will be nothing like yours.

I stand and applaud you scurveydog!!! CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP!!!!!!

I have throughly enjoyed the adventure with you and your family.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. You have made a lot of people here very happy.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Scurveydog, I have really enjoyed your posts! We are booked on the CB for next May in cabin E730. How was the wind on the balcony? One poster stated that the balcony was virtually unusable because of the wind. What did you think?

surveydog,

Thank you sooooooooooooo much for the best trip report I think I have ever read! I am looking to this cruise for next year for my husband's 50th and your report could not have come at a better time.

We are off to Alaska on RCCL in August - I will let you know how that was when we get back. :D

Scurveydog, I have really enjoyed your posts! We are booked on the CB for next May in cabin E730. How was the wind on the balcony? One poster stated that the balcony was virtually unusable because of the wind. What did you think?

BamaBaby, Hmmm?? I am puzzled by the poster's statement:confused: . I was on our balcony multiple times a day both when cruising and when in port and I never found the wind on the balcony to be any sort of problem at all. On the contrary, when cruising there was this great breeze, which, because of the warmth and humidity, I found positively delightful. One night DW & DD wanted a blanket while we were outside because the breeze and evening temps made them chilly. I wandered up to the front of the ship a couple of times and when outside, not surprisingly, I noticed serious wind when the ship was cruising the ocean-- when ship is cruising at 18 knots, you had a constant 18 knot wind in your face- and it was unpleasant. But on the balcony of E730, shielded by the balcony dividers, we were all able to sit comfortably for extended periods and read books, talk, smoke cigarettes, etc. Wonderful:D!

surveydog,

Thank you sooooooooooooo much for the best trip report I think I have ever read! I am looking to this cruise for next year for my husband's 50th and your report could not have come at a better time.

We are off to Alaska on RCCL in August - I will let you know how that was when we get back. :D

Escrowgal, Glad the review was timely for you! I would enjoy hearing about your Alaska cruise- and learning. I have already started scheming about Alaska for our next cruise:) .

Dear, Dear Scurvydog,

Seriously, you must write a novel, maybe a romance novel. You are truley gifted. Thank you for you review, and I do have one question for you.

You mentioned a Sail Away Seafood Buffet. Was this in Horizon court for dinner that nite, or was it something different. Thank You and best of luck to you on your future cruises!!!

Dear, Dear Scurvydog,

Seriously, you must write a novel, maybe a romance novel. You are truley gifted. Thank you for you review, and I do have one question for you.

You mentioned a Sail Away Seafood Buffet. Was this in Horizon court for dinner that nite, or was it something different. Thank You and best of luck to you on your future cruises!!!

Hi! Yes the "Chilled Seafood Extravaganza" is in Horizon Court from 6 -11pm. It includes lobster, shrimp and King Crab as well as all of the other items at the buffet.

Dear, Dear Scurvydog,

Yes, it was in Horizon Court. In fact, I am looking at my Princess Patter dated the Saturday of our embarkation and it reads: "Sailaway Buffet- 6:00pm to 11:00pm Stay with us and continue the sailaway fun at our Fantastic Dinner Buffet, featuring the magnificent Chilled Seafood Extravaganza including Shrimp Cocktail, Lobster Claws, King Crab Legs, Smoked Salmon and much more. Be part of the Caribbean fun! Horizon Court, Deck 15 Aft". Having personally experienced this buffet, I can verify that it was indeed as advertised:D .

I am also reading the Patter from two days later and I see another blurb that reads as follows: Cafe' Caribe 5:30pm to 11:00pm Tonight Presents "Welcome Dinner Buffet" Featuring Seafood Extravaganza, Roast Beef Tenderloin and many more excellent dishes from around the world. Music by Lucien Romelus from 7:30pm -10:30pm. Deck 15 Aft

I was not at the Welcome Dinner Buffet so I cannot vouch personally but it appears that there were two nights which featured the Seafood Extravaganza. Isn't it just like a cruise to provide 2 extravaganzas when most people would have gladly settled for a single extravaganza?;)

WildTours had not delivered what they promised on their website (see Day 5 of my review) and I requested in writing a partial refund of the $94 per person fee. After several emails and no commitment to refund a portion of the money, it appeared as though I was now being taken on quite another tour entirely:( . Back and forth we went: “Did the guide explain the tour?” “No, your website explained the tour- and it still does.” “Did you complain to the guide?” “Yes. In fact I did so in writing on an evaluation form which the guide handed out to me and the others while apologizing that the tour did not provide kayaking, snorkeling or snacks like the website promised”. Just as I was about to give up I received the following e-mail:

Doug, Hang in there, I am working with them, they are now going through the comments of the day. I have already told them that I am more then willing to forfeit my commission *$17.00 because I screwed up as well. As soon as I find out anything I promise to let you know.Paula…followed by this e-mail 6 days later:

I am sorry, please let me know your address, and I will send you a personal check (from the us) so that I can pay you at least what the company would have earned.Paula

I do not yet have the promised check in my hand or in my account un-bounced but I would have to characterize myself as cautiously optimistic. It would appear that one of two things is true:

#1) Paula is having the time of her life toying with me, or

#2) Paula is a very conscientious woman who intends to do what she can to make the situation right.

If #1 is true, only one of us will feel good. If #2 is true, both of us will;) . It shouldn’t be long until we know.

• 1 month later...
WildTours had not delivered what they promised on their website (see Day 5 of my review) and I requested in writing a partial refund of the $94 per person fee. After several emails and no commitment to refund a portion of the money, it appeared as though I was now being taken on quite another tour entirely:( . Back and forth we went: “Did the guide explain the tour?” “No, your website explained the tour- and it still does.” “Did you complain to the guide?” “Yes. In fact I did so in writing on an evaluation form which the guide handed out to me and the others while apologizing that the tour did not provide kayaking, snorkeling or snacks like the website promised”. Just as I was about to give up I received the following e-mail:

Doug, Hang in there, I am working with them, they are now going through the comments of the day. I have already told them that I am more then willing to forfeit my commission *$17.00 because I screwed up as well. As soon as I find out anything I promise to let you know.Paula…followed by this e-mail 6 days later:

I am sorry, please let me know your address, and I will send you a personal check (from the us) so that I can pay you at least what the company would have earned.Paula

I do not yet have the promised check in my hand or in my account un-bounced but I would have to characterize myself as cautiously optimistic. It would appear that one of two things is true:

#1) Paula is having the time of her life toying with me, or

#2) Paula is a very conscientious woman who intends to do what she can to make the situation right.

If #1 is true, only one of us will feel good. If #2 is true, both of us will;) . It shouldn’t be long until we know.

Paula and the folks at Come to Cozumel did the right thing!!! Good for them.- and me:)! It took a while but I am pleased to report that I am in recepit of an $80 refund which has now cleared the issuing bank and is comfortably ensconced in my checking account. The refund comes to 28% of my purchase price for the three of us who took the ATV tour back in May while in Cozumel. I think the refund amount is very fair. Since my review (on page 3 of this thread) publicly expressed my disappointment with the company, I'm also publicly posting my recognition and appreciation that they corrected the problem. It's rather reassuring and encouraging:) .

• 1 year later...
what a fantastic review. I felt like I was right there with you. We are trying to book next spring Eastern rom 726 or 728. How much smaller was the balcony that 730?

thanks

Deppong,

Thanks-- so glad you enjoyed the review! We've cruised once more since then (Texaribbean on NCL) and have booked a fall cruise of Canada/New England on RCI. We're hooked.:p

Balcony of 728 was about 40% smaller than 730. Same distance from sliding door to rail but 730 extended alongside the ship aftward approximately another room width.

Doug, I wish you had gone on a two week cruise....your review was almost as good as going on another cruise. We've sailed on the CB twice and loved every minute each time. Thanks for writing.

Mary Lou

Thanks Mary Lou! I'm glad you enjoyed the review. Your note moved me to read it again and recall the delightful time we had.:)

Scurveydog, you must clear your calendar and fatten your bank account so you and your intrepid DW, DS and DD can cruise more often than every two years! You clearly have legions of fans (many lurkers like myself, as indicated by the thousands of views of this thread, who merely enjoy and don't take time to comment).

We did the Nativeway Rays, Reef & Rum point tour at the advice of other CC folks, and it remains my favorite shore excursion of all time. I have a question for you re: the ATV trip. This is something I have wanted to do, but always been afraid because of reading about injuries, deaths, etc. -- a little nervous about exposing myself to personal harm in a foreign country, even with my travel insurance always in place. How did you feel, as a big guy, with your kids, traveling on these machines? I (and I'm sure many others) appreciate your small details such as your daughter having to rest due to handcramp... and you and your son having to test the high end of the vehicle speed!!!

You have truly brought back many of the delights of cruising (without glossing over the difficulties, such as an unexpectedly curtailed tour, MUTS in the rain, etc.). As a non-drinker, I even enjoyed the descriptions of the wine (selection, purchase, packing, pairing with meals, etc.). Now, that's really living vicariously! And as a parent, I loved the final note about the lady who was asked for a smoke... tee hee...

Please keep cruising and keep sharing! We don't want to wait two years for you to go to Alaska. Try some more Caribbean itineraries in the meantime!!!

All the best,

Scurveydog, you must clear your calendar and fatten your bank account so you and your intrepid DW, DS and DD can cruise more often than every two years! You clearly have legions of fans (many lurkers like myself, as indicated by the thousands of views of this thread, who merely enjoy and don't take time to comment).

We did the Nativeway Rays, Reef & Rum point tour at the advice of other CC folks, and it remains my favorite shore excursion of all time. I have a question for you re: the ATV trip. This is something I have wanted to do, but always been afraid because of reading about injuries, deaths, etc. -- a little nervous about exposing myself to personal harm in a foreign country, even with my travel insurance always in place. How did you feel, as a big guy, with your kids, traveling on these machines? I (and I'm sure many others) appreciate your small details such as your daughter having to rest due to handcramp... and you and your son having to test the high end of the vehicle speed!!!

You have truly brought back many of the delights of cruising (without glossing over the difficulties, such as an unexpectedly curtailed tour, MUTS in the rain, etc.). As a non-drinker, I even enjoyed the descriptions of the wine (selection, purchase, packing, pairing with meals, etc.). Now, that's really living vicariously! And as a parent, I loved the final note about the lady who was asked for a smoke... tee hee...

Please keep cruising and keep sharing! We don't want to wait two years for you to go to Alaska. Try some more Caribbean itineraries in the meantime!!!

All the best,

EmpressofPurple, Thanks for the encouragement and I'm glad you had fun reading the review. The ATV vehicles were all of the four wheel variety, very well maintained and felt very stable to me at all times. Even as a big person, I never felt at all like I would tip over or that the vehicle was undersized in terms of power, suspension, etc. We each had our own vehicle and I rode behind my daughter so I could watch how she was doing. Steering around an undulating, serpentine path of hairpin curves when said path was littered with rocks, roots and tree stumps did require us to exert some hand and arm strength in order to keep control of the handlebars used to steer the vehicle. This is what gave my daughter a hand cramp. However what I found as I got more acquainted with the vehicle and its "feel" on the path was that maintaining good control could be done with less force (and therefore less fatigue) than I was applying at first. My daughter found this too because she had no hand cramps when coming back on the same path. After the trip we were exhilerated and loved the adventure. I never had any safety concern for any of us. Everyone in our group was able to maintain good control of the vehicles. A tour guide was leading and another was following the last person in our group so they were able to keep track of everyone and those wo felt comfortable going slower were able to do so without fear of lagging too far behind and getting left.:eek: They also had two-person vehicles for those who wanted to do the ride but didn't feel comfortable controlling their own vehicle. Definitely wear closed toe shoes. If you do not (as my daughter didn't) then they will furnish and require you to wear fashionable knee high molded rubber boots which my daughter tersely described as disgusting.

Archived