transfer ??'s

We are just off our 1st cruise and booked our next one. The first cruise was a gift so we had no part of the booking and planning. Everything was done through RCI (transfers, air, pre-night stay). This one we are doing ourselves and have made the deposit on the cruise. Watching air fares as of right now. When is the best time to find good rates?

My next question is, what are some inexpensive transfers from the airport to the hotel and from the port to the airport? (I have found a hotel that has a free shuttle to the port.) I know one answer will be cabs but do you book them in advance or just call one when you need it?

This may sound naive but we are a family of 7 (5 kids) with a "freak out" husband. If I don't have a game plan, he will worry the whole time.

We are doing 4 night Sovereign in April out of Port Canaveral, flying into Orlando (hopefully).

Cabs and mini-vans are plentiful at both the airport and the pier. So, I see no problem there. We always take a taxi, never use the shuttle service. Orlando is a large international airport, so please tell DH that all will be under control.

I'd suggest that if you are arriving in Port Canaveral the day before you are sailing, you investigate the cost of renting a van at the airport and driving to Cocoa Beach or Port Canaveral. Several rental agencies have drop off facilities near the pier and provide shuttle service to the ship on the day you sail. Having a van will also allow you a bit more freedom to find somewhere other than your hotel to eat dinner. We have done this and on the morning of our sailing day, have dropped our luggage off at the pier, driven back to the rental car office, and then taken their shuttle back to the ship. You can reverse the process when you disembark at the end of the cruise. Taxis or transfers for your group will be much more expensive than the cost of a rental vehicle. Check it out and compare the costs.:)

For a family of 7, I would rent a Mini Van from Budget. Pick up is right there at the airport. Costs approx. $60 dollars a day, one way to Cape Canaveral. Only need the Van 2 days, so you rent twice. The trip to the Cape, and the day back to the airport. Budget also has a shuttle that will take you to the ship when you drop off the Van.

I've heard stories where the Husband can drop you and the kids off at the ship, and he can drop off the van himself.

Archived