Transderm patch

QE2 fan

I've just been reading some articles on the web about the transderm patch. It says that you may experience drowsiness when using it. Is this common, or is it just the usual small print that they are obliged to print. Do any of you have experience using them?

Transderm Scop.

I used it *after* my last cruise because I had LAND sickness. I was fine all through the cruise, but sicker than a dog for a month after I got back on terra-firma.

They did make me a little tired, but nothing too terrible. You can get the same effect probably drinking a few margarita's or *insert alcoholic beverage here*. :D

Land sickness is quite common. We own a good sized boat and when we have taken weekend excursions with guests and they have slept, ate and lived aboard for several days, this condition can occur. When they get back on land, they experience the same motion as being on the sea except they are not moving.

All seasickness medications can cause drowsiness. The transderm scope, however, has some additional side effects. As I mentioned before on this site, even if it is perscription, try it before you go on vacation. You don't want to experience a new drug while on holiday. Although I did get the "shot" on board the QE2 during very rough seas, in later crossings I found that taking the pill form in half dosage worked very well for me. I ingested a smaller amount into my blood stream but kept a constant level there the entire trip. It worked wonders for me but that may not be the remedy for everyone.

I've used the patch on my last cruise...the only side effect I had was dry mouth especially when snorkeling. Other than that, no problems - I didn't feel drowsy at any time nor did I feel nauseated. I've used the wristbands, Dramamine and ginger...the patch seemed to work better for me and, of course, lots of outdoor fresh air. During my Windjammer cruise from St. Lucia to the Windward Islands several years ago, I had a mild case of nausea when we ran into some after effects of hurricane weather...sitting up on the upper deck with the wind blowing did wonders for me.

The only time I was ever really seasick (green to the gills) was years ago when taking a car ferry from Dover to Zeebrugge when the crossing was very rough and I had not taken any kind of medication or aid - having a few drinks the night before sure didn't help - it took me several days to get over it!

I did try the patch once and had the side effect of dry mouth and also - while not being sleepy - I didn't feel I was totally with it.

Now, on the recommendation of my sister, a doctor, I only use Bonine, an over the counter remedy. It last twelve hours and doesn't effect your head or make your mouth dry. Most stores also sell it under its generic name,

Meclizine HCI. Dramamine also sells this under its "Non Drowsy" Formula.

She says its beeter than any prescription on the market, regardless of what the drug companies may tell you. It is going with me on my June 16 cruise to the "Land of the Midnight Sun"!

Bugeye (Karen)

I was on fairly rough seas the entire cruise(CCL) the week after Ivan in Sept. 04 to the Western Caribbean. I think at least 1/2 of the guests were ill. Even with the stabilizers extended, we would still get tossed about.

Like I said initially, I was fine onboard. I was fine driving after debarkation. But as soon as I stopped moving, or sat still, the dizziness and queasy feelings started.

It was a little over a month before the weird feelings finally subsided. I had researched it and found that it is common and could last several months.

It wasn't enough to keep me from ever cruizin' again though. If it happens this time, I may just consider pulling up anchor and living on a cruise liner.. LOL ;)

I've just been reading some articles on the web about the transderm patch. It says that you may experience drowsiness when using it.

"Drowsiness"? How about comatose? Being prone to motion sickness I decided to try out the patch for my TA crossing and I put it on the moment I boarded. However, by the second evening I was so drugged out I could hardly remember what I had done over the course of the day. It got so bad that I ripped off the patch on the third day. When I got a little seasick later that evening (very heavy seas) I got the injection instead, fell fast asleep then woke up refreshed and alert the next morning and stayed that way for the rest of the voyage!

Well, I've never been "Land Sick" like that.

But after 10+ months aboard a 173' Tall Ship, I definitely recall that it took a week or two to stop adjusting for pitch and roll. You just automatically short-step or long-step to find the "deck" and can sometimes be slightly off because the deck doesn't move.

That was 26 years ago... And I'm hoping my ears/balance are still in good shape. All the suggestions of what to do are encouraging.

Whenever cadets were sick on the tall ship, the only "cure" was to go up and breath the cool air or cozy up to a scupper. Only a couple cadets didn't get used to it the whole year. I would imagine (and hope) that anyone feeling sea-sick would eventually get over it. Would using medicines retard that process???

For my first cruise, I brought along the patch. I experienced, drowsiness, dry mouth, AND blurry vision. I decided to see if seasickness was any worse. I never got seasick, never considered a patch again. Now, with 19 cruises behind me, including a trip around Cape Hatteras in a full gale, with no ill effects, I don't even think about seasickness.

This has been said before, but the shot they give you is the generic version of a miracle drug (for me) called phenergan. Yes, on board you do have to pay, if you can get it through your doctor before you leave it is cheap and available as pill or suppository, which is good if you wait too long to take it and can't keep anything down. I get deathly seasick and the patch, dramamine, bonine etc. put me sound asleep., Phenergan leaves me feeling fit as a fiddle, but of course drugs work differently on different people.

I have not been seasick before .. and of course hope not to be!!!

Heywood,

A completely non-medical cure, with absolutely no evidence (apart from a few generations of transatlantic travellers), but a couple (or three) of Dry Martinis is well known as a 'kill or cure'! It's worth giving it a go!

Peter

according to past posters who have had the shot, the injection did not last the entire crossing for them, only a day or two.

I had the shot at the start of a voyage and then did not need another one - it could be that the shot lasts for the length of the voyage, although I would think it more likely that it just allows you to get your sea legs.

In books about balance (for those who have trouble with it), they point out that the muscles in the feet are the biggest single key to balance. If you do their exercises to increase the ability of the muscles in your feet, and elsewhere, to keep your body stationary, then you have better balance and you FEEL better balanced.

Translation - sea legs.

You know, I'm not a doctor, but I watched one once on TV...

The book I am specifically thinking of was written for "oldsters" who both FEEL unbalanced and also fall because they are unbalanced.

Physically, of course.

And the author contends that the automatic adjustments the body makes - and the inner ear feels - have quite a bit to do with muscles being used to handling motion.

I cannot recall what the author said about inner ear difficulties apart from muscles, but I'd think that could be another problem altogether.

I think I posted somewhere else that during almost a year spent at sea, only 2 or three out of just over 100 people NEVER got over being sea sick. And maybe 2-4 out of 10 felt uneasy at first. Maybe the 2 out of 100 had ears that would never adjust while the rest of the initial 2-4 out of 10 had their muscles and/or ears adjust fairly quickly.

You could always spot the ones who never got over it. They were either sleeping in the scuppers or staggering around with medium-sized tin cans attached around their necks. For, well, you know...

Archived