Galveston - Disembarkation

We are going on a Rhapsody of the Seas cruise in Aug. The ship is scheduled to arrive at 7:00 am in Galveston the last day. What would be the earliest to schedule a flight out of Houston? We will have have a car at the port and will be driving to Houston as soon as we are off the ship. If we carry our own luggage off the ship, how soon will they let us off? Thanks so much!

I wouldnt make it too early. Once off the ship you still have an 1 1/2 hr drive to the airport. They wont start unloading until 8am. They should send you a paper a few days before the cruise is over and ask about your flight times and they try to schedule you to get off the ship in time to make your flight. If it were me i wouldnt book a flight any earlier than noon.

Hope this helps.

We have cruised out of Galveston several times. We usually drive not fly. Since they starrted the Express Debarkation we are usually on the road by 9:30. it may take you longer since you will have to wait on your rent car. The rent car companies don't have cars at the port, you have to take a bus to their office and get the car there. I would think you should be on your way by 10:00. Then it's about an hour to Hobby, and 2 hrs to Intercon.

If there is a delay at customs (long lines) you could be off the ship early but in a lineup. I agree with the other poster - don't schedule a flight before noon. You want to get home but you don't need the added stress of rushing to the airport.

I agree with APDCruiser. My husband and I were on a cruise in Aug of last year and out flight was leaving at 1:30pm and we almost missed it. They kept everyone on the ship for some reason later than they should have. We heard later that it was drug related. When we finally got to the airport we had 15 min to get on the plan and they were nice enough to wait for us.

Which airport - George Bush (IAH) or Hobby (HOU)? IAH is about 1-1/2 to 2 hours from the port. I wouldn't schedule any flights from IAH before 1pm. HOU is about 45 minutes to an hour from the port. I wouldn't schedule any flights from HOU before noon.

Archived