Kids in New York - Whole Day post cruise??

cruizer rick

He all - Could really use some help. We're sailing on NCL Dawn, and have the entire day to see NYC - 4 adults & 4 kids.

Any ideas on what do to ?? -

Any ideas on what to do with out luggage ??

Please help !

How old are the kids? What time of year?

Unfortunately, you won't have a place to store your luggage unless you sign up for a pre or post-cruise stay at a hotel in NYC. But, with the ages of your kids, I'd highly recommend doing so. We're going on the Dawn next year with our two kids (4 and 9) and plan on staying at a hotel for 2 nights before the cruise and touring NYC during that time.

As far as what to see, I'd recommend: the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, 5th avenue (more for the adults, though), The USS Intrepid (docked right next to the Dawn typically) which is more than just the aircraft carrier, it's entire maritime museum; and, one thing we've enjoyed in the past is a tour of one of the network studios. We toured NBC the last time we were in NYC and it was pretty neat to see all the behind-the-scenes "stuff" of our favorite shows.

If you get a chance, I think the kids (and maybe the adults - I do!) would like the Central Park Zoo. It is small zoo (two parts next to each other) in the middle of Central Park but fun to look around and see all the magnificant city buildings surrounding the park. The Polar Bears and seals and bird exhibits are fun. There is a petting section too. Then there are carriage rides through the park and FAO Schwartz is just a couple blocks away. Head south from there and you'd see Rockefeller Center and the previously mentioned NBC Studios. Then south a little more for the empire state building. That would probably make a nice day in the city.

wendy

If you get a chance, I think the kids (and maybe the adults - I do!) would like the Central Park Zoo. It is small zoo (two parts next to each other) in the middle of Central Park but fun to look around and see all the magnificant city buildings surrounding the park. The Polar Bears and seals and bird exhibits are fun. There is a petting section too.

I totally second going to the Central Park Zoos--My daughter and I spent the day there when she was six years old--one of the best days we've ever had!

• 2 weeks later...

There is a great walking area along with a park along the water. If you will be traveling in nice weather. The park boasts a large and I mean large sandbox, and sprinklers, climbig structures, and a really nice merry go round.

You can also get a great view of the Statue of Liberty and see the site where the world trade center used to be.

In addition, you can also walk to the south street seaport which is also along the same stretch (west side highway) going towards the ports. These are short cab rides from the NY ports, so you won't be to far from the ships.

To get to the promande and park, grab a cab to take you to the WTC site enterance, when you are facing the WTC site, simply walk straight and go up over the bridge (the one with the stairs going up, it will be to your left, the stairs in front of you going down takes you to the WTC site), then continue straight towards the water approximately 1 1/2 blocks. When you get onto the promande, make a right to get to the park, and look to your left to se the Statue of Liberty.

I found this by accient, my DH had a doctors appointment and me and DD where walking to kill time, and wham, I found this great spot!

This is if you don't have to much time to kill and you need the little ones to burn off some energy! They will enjoy it very much.

Hope this helps

Have fun cruising !

my two cents.... (just took out of town relatives on a day in NYC with kids).

take the kids to Central Park Zoo for the morning...will not regret it! It is small as other posters have said, but ohhh so worth it!

take the adults for a ride to little italy and china town and grab some authentic pizza and pass by the little shops....

lastly go to Battery Park... enjoy your time there... see the statue of liberty from afar...

if you have time take the ferry there.

there is also a Children's musuem (sp?) in midtown!

that should have your whole day spent....if you are there at night, go to times square walk around and have a hot dog all the way!

don't be afraid to use the subway system! we use it all the time and we were out till 1 am with children ages 13, 11, 8, 4 and 7 months old... (of course we go all the time)

• 4 weeks later...

First, congrats on your choice. We absolutely loved the Dawn. It is our favorite ship so far. The kids pool area can not be beat. (We loved it so much, we booked another NCL cruise this December. Had to go with the Spirit, different itin.) Because we leave in December, and it was cold, but sunny, are choices where somewhat limited. My DH and oldest DD went to Ellis Island, our younger DD's would not have been interested, so I took them to the American Girl Store. Have a great trip. Janice

Archived