What is Western Caribbean weather like in December?

MRIrene

We are going on our second cruise with a large group of family in December. I was just wondering what the weather is like in Playa del Carmen and Cozumel during this time. Will it be warm enough to swim on the beach? Don't want to sound stupid, but never have been down there in the winter.

Thanks,

Irene

I cruised the first week in December and it was wonderful. The weather was perfect and it wasn't crowded at all. The only problem we had were the baby jellyfish in Cozumel. My kids gave up snorkeling quickly because they kept getting stung. I continued because I could see them in the water and kind of "shoo" them away with my hands.

We researched this before doing our Dec. 14 cruise on Inspiration last year and saw the average temps for the islands we went to were 85-90 and it was like 88 in Belize 2 days before we left on our cruise. It was that hot in Grand Cayman our first stop but after that a cold front came through and it was like a high of 65-75 at the other islands. Too cool for me to enjoy swimming and also as I had taken mostly capris for daywear with summer tops I like to have froze to death. I had taken 1 jacket which I washed after 3 days as it needed it from so much use. So take an extra pair or 2 or slacks, some tops with sleeves and a couple of outerwear sweathers-that way you are prepared if it turns off cool.

:) We were in the Western Caribbean this past December. For us it was hit and miss.....for our day in Cozumel it was windy, cool, cloudy, and occasionally rain. We were a little disappointed, but we made the best of the situation. For Calica/Playa delCarmen.....absolutely perfect! Went to the beach and I estimate the temp. that day was close to 90 degrees. Blue skies all the way! I would take along a light jacket just in case.

~gina~:)

We cruised Western Carib. the second week in Dec. last year and the weather was mostly great. A little rain in the afternoons, but not much. It was hotter than we expected, which was great. It was so strange to us to see all the Christmas decorations up and temps in the high 80's! We had a wonderful cruise and hated to come home to the cold. It was actually snowing in GA when we came back!

Terri

Also going in December on the Fascination with 4 or 5 other couples from our neighborhood. Wondering if the ship will look festive during the holiday season. Also, are water temps in the Cozumel area comfortable at that time of year? Thanks. Joyce

Thanks everyone! I am really looking forward to this cruise with my family. That was a good question about the Holiday decorations. When do they start putting them up? Will they have them up by the time we cruise on 12/13? Looks like we better pack for warm and cool weather just to be prepared.

Irene

Archived