Beach questions

We have 3 kids, the youngest being 6. I'm assuming we'd want/need to take a cab to the beach and wondered what we could expect for cab fare. Would you suggest this activity for a family, or would you do something else? The kids will be 13, 10 and 6.

The Progreso beach is only a 3 or 4 block walk from the town plaza where the courtesy bus will drop you. For lunch, try Les Saint Bonnet accross the malecon (beach side street). I had the best fish dinner of my life there. Very fresh of course.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I read that vendors are a problem on the beach, and I can't get my family to commit to anything I've proposed. Budget is also a concern, because there are 5 of us, and we're taking a snorkeling tour in Belize, leaving not much to spend in this port. We're thinking of seeing Progreso then taking the cheap bus into Merida and walking around a little before heading back to the ship. You seem to know a lot about this port. I'd appreciate your recommendation. I have 3 kids, (13, 10, 6) one of whom has fibromyalgia. Long bus rides or strenuous activity is no good for us. I'm possibly interested in renting a car, but I'm not 100% sure that's a good idea. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

• 1 month later...
We have 3 kids, the youngest being 6. I'm assuming we'd want/need to take a cab to the beach and wondered what we could expect for cab fare. Would you suggest this activity for a family, or would you do something else? The kids will be 13, 10 and 6.

As someone already stated, the courtesy bus will drop you right off at the beach. Do not expect much and I would NOT book the Corona Beach excursion from the ship. It was a waste of money.

There was a really interesting excursion friends of mine took ... A rodeo and it included a nice Mexican lunch. You may want to consider that.

By the way, I just returned from this cruise the other day.

- Terry

• 3 weeks later...

We were here last year w/ our 3 children (3, 4, & 7 at that time) and enjoyed and inexpensive beach day. We did decide to take a taxi from the pier directly to the beach for $6. The line for the free shuttle was quite long and it was very hot. I wasn't interested in shopping so saving the 3 block walk was fine by me (I know very lazy, but I was on vacation!). There were vendors that came up to you on the beach but a polite no thank you and they left. My husband and children enjoyed playing in the ocean while I enjoyed a corona on the beach. I was also able to have my hair braided while soaking in the sun. We also enjoyed a snack of nacho's under some palpa's on the beach. I know what it's like to have a family of 5 and be on a budget. This was the perfect port for us! I only wished we had more time at this port.

Archived