Ta 24 9 06

pepperrn

Just been informed by Cunard that M634 TA 24 9 06 - 30 9 06 will arrive at Bayonne, New Jersey. After all the research I've done about Red Hook too! Anyone know anything good or bad about Cape Liberty Cruise Port?

Thanks in advance.

Just been informed by Cunard that M634 TA 24 9 06 - 30 9 06 will arrive at Bayonne, New Jersey. After all the research I've done about Red Hook too! Anyone know anything good or bad about Cape Liberty Cruise Port?

Thanks in advance.

I mean other than the fantastic view.

Who would have thought, a Queen in New Jersey?

I am on that crossing as well. I haven't been advised but plan on calling my cruise broker today. (As an aside, I used an internet agency and will never do that again - it is NOT a travel agent but rather a cruise broker and while they saved me about US$400 per person, I'm not sure it was worth it). Anyway, I know nothing specific about the Bayonne piers however, as a native of NYC and current resident of NJ, I can tell you that we should get a better view of Lady Liberty and the NYC skyline on arrival by going to Bayonne. If you have to fly after the cruise, you are a fairly short (15 or 20 minutes) ride to Newark airport. Going to Laguardia or JFK will be a bit longer than from Red Hook. If you are planning a few days in NYC following the cruise, it is an easy trip from Bayonne.

We are now less than 4 months to sailing and I for one cannot wait!

Gail

I am on that crossing as well. I haven't been advised but plan on calling my cruise broker today. (As an aside, I used an internet agency and will never do that again - it is NOT a travel agent but rather a cruise broker and while they saved me about US$400 per person, I'm not sure it was worth it). Anyway, I know nothing specific about the Bayonne piers however, as a native of NYC and current resident of NJ, I can tell you that we should get a better view of Lady Liberty and the NYC skyline on arrival by going to Bayonne. If you have to fly after the cruise, you are a fairly short (15 or 20 minutes) ride to Newark airport. Going to Laguardia or JFK will be a bit longer than from Red Hook. If you are planning a few days in NYC following the cruise, it is an easy trip from Bayonne.

We are now less than 4 months to sailing and I for one cannot wait!

Gail

Gail

Great to hear form you, and thank you for the information. I'm not flying straight after the crossing, I presume that my transport will use the Lincoln Tunnel to reach Manhattan and my hotel (and come up close to where we should have docked to start with!).

As for "cannot wait", well I try to think "treat every crossing as your first" so excited and "cannot wait" don't come close. I packed in February. I've been standing in the doorway waiting for the cab since March.

I booked thru a travel agent, don't like the idea of an internet agency, like the idea that I'm on first name terms with the lady who looks after my bookings, knows the sort of holidays (vacations) I like etc. Always give her a gift for looking after me. You said you saved a lot of money, you also said you weren't sure it was worth it. Can I ask why?

How many days are you having in the UK? or are you are going straight from airport to QM2? If you're staying in the UK what do you plan to see? You don't say if you've crossed before.

Anyway, you'll be handy for getting home (you didn't have anything to do with that did you?)

Very best wishes

Thanks for the info - Cunard hasn't informed me yet. I'm flying out of JFK and since it's a 3 pm flight at least I won't have to worry about making it there in time.

Pepper, this is my first TA crossing (lots of other cruises). I am traveling with a very long time pal, Kathy. We arrive in London the morning of 21 Sept. (after flying thru the night) and will be staying at the Renaissance Chancery Court. I understand that it is a nice hotel. I am a Marriott very frequent guest so I try to stay at Marriott properties (which this is) because they try to do what they can to make the stay a little nicer than average. Old friends of mine who are currently residing in Frankfurt, Germany will be flying to London to join us for the week end. I am anticipating a very enjoyable few days.

As for the internet booking, I receive no service. In fact, in the booking confirmation that I received the form states that are a "cruise broker" - they don't even call themselves a travel agency. They book the cruise and that is it. This is proof of the old proverb about getting what you pay for.

I was grateful for your message about the change in disembarkation points. I called Cunard to confirm. We booked a guarantee A2 and Cunard told me that the agent has to call and "request" assignment to a cabin. I have to make the final payment on June 24 so I will call the internet agency then and make sure they know to call for a cabin assignment. The lady that I spoke to at Cunard was quite pleasant. She checked for me and said that they weren't ready to provide cabin assignments so there was no rush to have the agency call. She also seemed quite positive on the subject of upgrades so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I used to have a great travel agent. Unfortunately she left the travel industry and the rest of the folks at her agency never lived up to her talents. However, I have a potential new agency that I may try for my next trip. Since so many of the cruise lines are prohibiting the travel agents from discounting, I likely will start looking for service rather than price.

I know there are a few others on our crossing that have posted on the boards nonw and then. We will have to re-start the roll call soon and perhaps plan for a CC get together on board.

114 days and counting. . . .

Gail

Pepper, this is my first TA crossing (lots of other cruises). I am traveling with a very long time pal, Kathy. We arrive in London the morning of 21 Sept. (after flying thru the night) and will be staying at the Renaissance Chancery Court. I understand that it is a nice hotel. I am a Marriott very frequent guest so I try to stay at Marriott properties (which this is) because they try to do what they can to make the stay a little nicer than average. Old friends of mine who are currently residing in Frankfurt, Germany will be flying to London to join us for the week end. I am anticipating a very enjoyable few days.

As for the internet booking, I receive no service. In fact, in the booking confirmation that I received the form states that are a "cruise broker" - they don't even call themselves a travel agency. They book the cruise and that is it. This is proof of the old proverb about getting what you pay for.

I was grateful for your message about the change in disembarkation points. I called Cunard to confirm. We booked a guarantee A2 and Cunard told me that the agent has to call and "request" assignment to a cabin. I have to make the final payment on June 24 so I will call the internet agency then and make sure they know to call for a cabin assignment. The lady that I spoke to at Cunard was quite pleasant. She checked for me and said that they weren't ready to provide cabin assignments so there was no rush to have the agency call. She also seemed quite positive on the subject of upgrades so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I used to have a great travel agent. Unfortunately she left the travel industry and the rest of the folks at her agency never lived up to her talents. However, I have a potential new agency that I may try for my next trip. Since so many of the cruise lines are prohibiting the travel agents from discounting, I likely will start looking for service rather than price.

I know there are a few others on our crossing that have posted on the boards nonw and then. We will have to re-start the roll call soon and perhaps plan for a CC get together on board.

114 days and counting. . . .

Gail

Gail,

Thank you for the reply. I hope you have a great few days in London with your friends, have a really good time with the knowledge (unlike flying) that it's not all over when you make for home!

Sorry to hear of your experiences with the booking broker.

I wish you the very best re:your up-grade. If you get one from A2 it's likely to be to P class (well, I suppose it could be to A1, but fingers crossed for you). I'm booked B3 (I wanted the sheltered balcony TA in September) and know the cabin number, I was offered the chance of an up-grade and said "depends on what it is, I will accept anything outside on deck 9!", they are coming back to me.

Like the idea of a drink or three with CC members on board.

No doubt we'll speak again in the next 114 days!

Very best wishes

Archived