July 1-5 QM2 now going to Newport not Statue of Liberty

Malinda1229

Cheshire - I thought that the reason for scrubbing Gib. was because Spain is throwing up difficulties to any ship calling there before a Spanish port. Don't want to get into the politics here re this action by the Spanish.

David.

Having booked this cruise almost 2 years ago I can say I am more than a bit upset. I live in NY and have seen the Macy's fireworks a few times (I'm a firework junkie) and many other fireworks, nothing beats Macy's 4th of July and with the Statue Liberty right there, in NY Harbor? I mean it's a HUGE part of why I booked. I think Cunard owes me more than an open bar although I intend to make the most of that. I'll deal but this is really not right and we all should have been informed and offered alternatives at least a month ago.

David

The extract from the Gibraltar Newspapers on 04 May reads as follows:

Queen Mary II cancels Gib visits

The world's largest liner, the Queen Mary II, will not now be calling at Gibraltar, it was confirmed last night.

The reason for the cancellation is that there is insufficient depth of water on the exterior of the Western Arm at the North Mole.

The Government had planned to do the necessary dredging to allow this to happen, as evidenced by a tender they published in January. However, when the tender price became known they decided not to go ahead.

"The cost of dredging is in the region of $1.3 million, this is much more than estimated," said the Government.

In addition technical problems were identified which required that the foundations of the north mole be considerably reinforced if the dredging were to proceed, as otherwise the stability of the mole would be threatened, said the government last night.

After weighing up the pros and cons "of spending such a large sum of money" the government decided not to proceed at present.

It talks of "few and infrequent visits". In fact, 4 or 5 calls had been scheduled for this and next year.

It was true that some crusie ships experienced problems in early May when trying to use Spanish ports after a visit to Gibraltar. This matter was resolved following discussions with the British and Spanish Foreign Ministry's.

Changes forced on a cruise line due to reasons beyond their control and at short notice are one thing. Cunard will rightly make alternative arrangements to any crusie where security or other issues may affect the safety of passengers or the vessel. Cunard have known about this since early May if not before. The earlier cruise to Gibraltar in May was cancelled at short notice. Cueta is hardly an acceptable alternative on the basis we won't be able to leave the ship nor does it have anything there worth visiting. Malaga or Cadiz would have been perfectly acceptable in the circumstances.

It's won't have won Cunard any favours by continuing to take bookings since May knowing they couldn't offer the advertised itinerary. Later crusies this years till show Gibraltar as a port of call. I would have expected alternatice arrangement to have put in place by now and passengers already booked notified of the change. There is still no official notification to any passengers of these changes....

My out look would be: "We're going on a 4 day cruise on the "QM2", the newest, biggest, grandest ocean liner afloat.......oh, ya, we're going to stop and anchor one evening and watch fireworks somewhere".

Just get the ship back in time as WE"RE SAILING ON THE 5TH TO ENGLAND!!!!

new port security regs go into effect on July 1st. I think this has alot to do with the iten. change. The Coast Guard sets forth who will and will not be allowed in the harbor. 4th of July brings out alot of watercrafts and all I can say is remember what happened to the USS Cole, it only took one small boat. As a New York resident I actually feel alittle more at ease NOT being in the harbor. The Macys fireworks are fine and anyone can see them on TV if they wish. I think NewPort will be great. I for one did not book the QM2 for the fireworks, that was just an added bonus, and yes I booked over 2 years ago, too. Most people booked this cruise just to be on the QM2, a once in a lifetime experience. and not so much for the Macys fireworks. I for one will have an awsome time and I can't wait.........

We were on the Med cruise when the itinerary change notice (ICN) came down eliminating the Gibraltar and Cadiz stops "due to operational and security reasons". Cunard substituted an operational stop a Ceuta and a call at Civitavecchia (Rome), plus posted $100 on each passenger's account. I was delighted to go to Rome and thought the treatment was more than fair. I wouldn't want to second guess the decisions and what kind of kooky threats may be around that have some validity.

Rick J

July 1 Folks:

Your excitement is palpable. I know you're going to have a great time.

One of the places not to be missed on the ship is the Bookstore (8 Deck Forward, Starboard Side), because the selection of QM2 souvenirs, cards etc is much better than anywhere else on board.

While you're there, don't forget to stop at the adjoining Library to sign the Cruise Critic logbook. It's kept under the counter, the librarians know all about it, you'll be recording your journey for posterity, and Cusyl will have a happy 4th of July weekend.

Enjoy every moment,

Crouton

P.S. Don't forget to sign the Cruise Critic Logbook in the Library!

Just took a peek at my husband's pile to pack--guess I'll be lightening my load. Men have it so easy. Just deciding on what shoes weighs down my suitcase! Going to rethink in the morning and really try to put some sanity into my suitcase instead of my whole closet!

How will be know one another in the Commodore's Club? Can't wait to put faces on the names.

Archived