Mystery Cruise

I did that last year. It was on the Grandeur, now it was a mystery cruise, not the mystery dinner thing. I thought it was fun, but the ony drawback was that they would have gatherings/meetings ( you get clues) during sea days,when I would have much rather been sitting out by the pool. The actors stay in character for the entire duration, or until the ystery is over, usually on the last full day of the cruise. If you meet them during the day, they will be in character. So that part was fun. Try it, you might enjoy it, and if you decide it is not for you then just don't go to the meetings . You do all have to sit together though. And it is limited to about 250 guests, so if you want to do it, you should sign up for it. We had second seating, and had no choice about it, if we wanted to participate in this we had to have second seating. Would I do it again, yes I would.

Have fun and enjoy it all.

Annieeee

Actually just got off the phone with them as I am curious too. Hehe, I was going to ask the same question :eek: when I logged on. It sounds like it could be a lot of fun. We are looking at the Monarch in March, so it's only a 3 night cruise. We only have the one sea day which is the last day. We always eat at the late seating so that's not a problem. Seems it would be a nice ice breaker at dinner too.

Anyone ever do the 3 night cruise Mystery Cruise on the Monarch?

BonVoyage

Dawna

Actually just got off the phone with them as I am curious too. Hehe, I was going to ask the same question :eek: when I logged on. It sounds like it could be a lot of fun. We are looking at the Monarch in March, so it's only a 3 night cruise. We only have the one sea day which is the last day. We always eat at the late seating so that's not a problem. Seems it would be a nice ice breaker at dinner too.

Anyone ever do the 3 night cruise Mystery Cruise on the Monarch?

BonVoyage

Dawna

That's the one we are looking at! We live near the port and so my hubby would not miss much work. I think we are going to go for it. We have a daughter but she would be okay for late seating if we went.

Desiree

We did 2 cruises with the whodunit mystery. We had a good time on both cruises. It is not a serious murder mystery, more having fun than doing a lot of detecting. The extra meetings were like mini entertainments. There is the opportunity to participate - so its up to you as to how involved you want to be. The 7 day mystery did not take all 7 days. I would imaging the 3 day will have something everyday except Monday. We will probably try to take another sometime - since the 'mystery' has been changed.

I did the 3 night Monarch Murder Mystery. If I recall correctly, we had the first meeting prior just to departure and another one prior to dinner that evening. No meetings while in port. After departing Ensenada we had a meeting prior to dinner and I think there was another one later that evening. On Sunday (sea day) there was one meeting in the late morning/early afternoon. Then a cocktail party before dinner....and I again, I think another after dinner. But it never really interferred with any thing major going on (such as the captains cocktail party or any of the shows).

As the other posters said, you can get into it as much as you want (by wearing costumes and staying in your character) or as little as you want (just sit back and observe). I went to all the "meetings" except for one as that was the time I had a spa appointment. The theme of the mystery was gansters, but I understand they have changed it to a pirate theme. I enjoyed it very much and would recommend it in a heartbeat!

I did the 3 night Monarch Murder Mystery. If I recall correctly, we had the first meeting prior just to departure and another one prior to dinner that evening. No meetings while in port. After departing Ensenada we had a meeting prior to dinner and I think there was another one later that evening. On Sunday (sea day) there was one meeting in the late morning/early afternoon. Then a cocktail party before dinner....and I again, I think another after dinner. But it never really interferred with any thing major going on (such as the captains cocktail party or any of the shows).

As the other posters said, you can get into it as much as you want (by wearing costumes and staying in your character) or as little as you want (just sit back and observe). I went to all the "meetings" except for one as that was the time I had a spa appointment. The theme of the mystery was gansters, but I understand they have changed it to a pirate theme. I enjoyed it very much and would recommend it in a heartbeat!

That was exactly my impression. I want to go now but have to convince the hubby to change from the Enchantment and I think he is set on it. :( I will keep an eye out, if only I lived in LA I would go without him. Thanks for the info.

Laurie: Sent ya an email! Thanks again for your Freedom help.

BonVoyage

Dawna

We have a big group booked for the March 16h trip. I booked the rooms as soon as they became available and have great prices. I have some Jr. suites, some OV's on deck 9 and 8. If you are interested let me know. We have a really fun group that loves to sail on the Monarch and always have a great time! I am thinking of planning a pre-sailing party sometime before we go so everyone can meet and compare notes!!!:cool:

I think LawyerLady may join us!

I am at n.real2@verizon.net if you want more info...

We are booked on the March 16, 2007 cruise for the mystery weekend. I am very excited! Thank you to everyone for your replies.

I originally wanted one of the Jr. suites but decided on just an oceanview cabin. There was quite a price difference and it is only a weekend. My DH was alittle bummed as we really like the balcony.

Thanks again!

Desiree

Our mystery was the gangster theme too. I forgot to add that prior to the cruise we did get some "clues" in the mail. In the package that was mailed to each of us was information as to who we were. Our group was part of a mob family, and we all had names and "cove" jobs. Won't tell you all any more in case that theme is still being used. And during the cruise, someone would leave notes by the door pertaining to the mystery. Also the group I was with really got into it, some of the ladies decorated their doors with a mystery gangster theme. Another group were in Shelock Holmes type costumes, right up to the pipe and Sherlock Holmes type hat. Not sure. BUt all the participants do sit together. Our groups was a good size, we had three tables. Oh yes some of the ladies were dressed in roaring 20's costumes. It was fun. There is an extra fee for participating in the mystery cruise, or at least there was when we did it.

We had to sign up through the Whodunit Company, they are the ones that put theses mysteries on.

Annieeee

When I first read the thread heading, I thought the OP was referring to a cruise where the destination/itenerary was a mystery until the ship left port. My imediate impression was, "now that sounds interesting".

Do you know whether everyone in your cabin has to participate or is it arranged per person? This sounds really interesting but I'm pretty sure my husband wouldn't want to participate.

Per the company's website - everyone in the cabin must be registered (and paid) to participate. My husband is pretty much an introvert but he is looking forward to the cruise. I paid for my DD10 even though I am sure that she will not be participating as much as my DH and I.

Talk your DH into it! It will be fun to do.

Desiree

Do you know whether everyone in your cabin has to participate or is it arranged per person? This sounds really interesting but I'm pretty sure my husband wouldn't want to participate.

Even if one person wants to participate, but the other doesn't, everyone in the same cabin must still sign up and pay for the activity. It really is quite resonable considering all the time they spend putting on the production. (And because they have a deal with RCCL, sometimes you can get a better price on the cruise itself. Talk to your travel agent about it.) Here is the website to the production company that puts on the murder mystery that will explain how it works:

www.murdermysterycruise.com

Side note to the board monitors: They are not a travel agency, people do not book cruises with them, they book the cruise thru their own agent. Nor are they Royal Caribbean employees. They are a production company that produces the activity, quite the same as an independent shore excursion company. :)

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the website, maybe I'll take a friend instead of my husband for this one if I book it since we'd have to pay the extra anyways! Might make a nice girls getaway and I wouldn't have to worry about my DH...he can stay home and watch the kids while I get away!:D

I attended one of those home murder mystery dinners and had a great time so I'm sure I'd like this too.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the website, maybe I'll take a friend instead of my husband for this one if I book it since we'd have to pay the extra anyways! Might make a nice girls getaway and I wouldn't have to worry about my DH...he can stay home and watch the kids while I get away!:D

I attended one of those home murder mystery dinners and had a great time so I'm sure I'd like this too.

Sometimes, you actually get a better rate by booking into the murder mystery than if you booked independently without the mystery part. So you aren't really paying anymore.

Its complicated, but sometimes it does work out cheaper in the long run. Check with your TA.

Although....a girls getaway is always great so maybe you can just ignore what I just said...LOL

Hmmm..just talked with a friend and she's interested in doing this cruise too! Well, looks like I've got to do it now! (Twist my rubber arm, I know!)

MszKitty~Thanks for the website, I got to glance at it a little yesterday and will be looking into it more now I have a potential roomie!

Dawna~ I'm interested in the 3 day Monarch cruise too...easier to get to from home!

• 1 month later...
We have added my mom to the group - she thought it sounded like fun so now there are 4 of us!

Desiree

Desiree, you MUST join our roll call group! We are chatting up a bunch in there. Look for us under Roll Calls, Monarch, March 16th!

Nancy;)

We did the murder mystery cruise last Nov on the Radiance and had a blast. It was a lot of fun. We are sworn to secrecy about the details, but you will have fun. You get out of it what you put into it.

The whodunnit cast did a really good job. We also got a better rate for the cruise by participating in the murder mystery. Everyone has the late dinner seating. We all sat together in one section of the dining room. You don't miss out on any of the cruise experiences. The mystery lasted for the first 4 nights of the cruise. You get a suspect list, and clues left under your cabin door, and phone calls, and you have to try to guess whodunnit. There are meetings usually before dinner that last for approx an hour where you gather clues, meet the other people, the cast etc. It's not mandatory that you participate. You can just blend in and play a passive role if you want or you can get up really get into the roles you are given. If you dress up, you will get more out of it. Ours was a mob theme. We dressed up in character. At the first formal night we dressed up like gangsters. My hubby had a pinstripe jacket, white scarf, and white fedora. I dressed like a flapper. You should see the looks we got from the passengers not doing the murder mystery.... But who cares. We had a lot of fun.

The cast did not stay in character for the entire time. We saw them on the islands and around the ship and they were themselves and not their characters and they were very friendly.

We will definitely take another cruise with whodunnit again. It was a blast.

Archived