Airport Transfers

borbs

I'm looking for some advice from the experienced cruisers out there.

We're off on the Carnival Miracle on August 20/06. We'll be arriving in Tampa by air on Aug. 15 and will be spending 4 days at DisneyWorld. When we return to Tampa, we'll need to get from the airport (where we'll be dropping of the rental cars) to the dock/port. (Can you tell I'm a novice cruiser?) There are 5 adults, a 9 year old and 6 year old twins. Our transfers were not included in our cruise package, although we still have an option to purchase them. Are the cruise pkg. transfers the best way to go? Are there any other alternatives?

Looking forward to hearing back...

Cheers!

Borbs

We're off on the Carnival Miracle on August 20/06. We'll be arriving in Tampa by air on Aug. 15 and will be spending 4 days at DisneyWorld. When we return to Tampa, we'll need to get from the airport (where we'll be dropping of the rental cars) to the dock/port. (Can you tell I'm a novice cruiser?) There are 5 adults, a 9 year old and 6 year old twins. Our transfers were not included in our cruise package, although we still have an option to purchase them. Are the cruise pkg. transfers the best way to go? Are there any other alternatives?

Cheers!

Borbs

I have never sailed from Tampa, but I would look in to a cab or van service. With that many of you I'm sure it would be a better deal. We used a van service a few year ago, when there were 9 of us going to Canaveral.

Try an internet search for "Tampa ground transportation" or contact the airport and ask them for the names of companies that provide shuttle service to the port.

Maybe someone here on CC who has used a company in Tampa will also share their info and experience with you.

Good luck :)

We rented a Limo from Wheels to Wings Limo service (might be Wings to wheels limo service...It's been a couple of years:D ). Mike was the owner's name. He was cheaper than what it would have cost for us to take the shuttle to the port and back and adding in taxi fare to Universal. He met us at the airport when we first arrived and took us to our prehotel on Cocoa Beach...arranged a driver to take us to the port. After our cruise he picked us up at the pier in the limo and took us to Universal Studios where we stayed for several days and then he picked us up again at the hotel and took us back to the airport. My kids had the best time riding in the limo with the lights, drinks and movies!! I couldn't recommend this transportation type more!

Have a great trip whatever you choose!

Cheers!

Borbs

Seems to me you already have the rental car(s) so using the rental car(s) a little longer is basically free. What I would do is drop off the kids, the luggage and some responsible adults at the pier. Then return the rental car. From there all your options are much less expensive (only need transfers for one or two people, not all eight).

Also, check to see if the rental agency has any rental locations closer to the pier. In some cases the rental agency will offer a free shuttle. Another option is a taxi from only a few miles away (assuming there is an off site rental location that is closer to the pier). That would only cost you about $10 - $12. How much is a transfer from the airport?

I guess what I am saying is, don't limit your options. Think outside the box. Do you really want to have eight people at the rental office with all their luggage trying to get to the pier, or would you like to have one or two people at the rental office with no luggage and no kids trying to get to the pier. Meanwhile those at the pier could be standing in line, meaning the peole who return the rental car(s) will not have to wait in line as long.

Have fun.

If you drop your car off at the airport most of the rental companies have vans and will take you to the pier no charge and will bring you back to the airport at the end of your cruise no charge. Check with your rental company.

Guest YesitDonna

MCBOR is correct. I rented a car and returned it to the Tampa airport Alamo. They had a shuttle right to the cruise port and back. Even though you aren't renting a car after they allow you to take the shuttle to the airport car rental agency and then the shuttle from there to the airport for free.

I think Cruizer2 has the solution, the rental car shuttle to the port is a great idea. The worst that will happen is if you have to take a taxi from the airport to the port, there is a flat $20 fare going anyplace downtown including the port.

We spent a week in Orlando, drove down to Miami for our cruise. We dropped off the luggage and 2 of the folks (there were 4 of us) and then took the car to Alamo to check in.

We did have a small hitch, they said they would take us to the pier for free. We waited and waited, no driver. Finally asked, and they said there was an error, the last driver had gone or something. They called a taxi for us and paid him (we did tip him because it was a helluva ride and he got us there fast! :) )

We got there w/not much time to spare, but must agree, there wasn't any lines to get on board!! :D

Archived