Tipping: What are my Options?

Pete, you have the choice of paying the tips at the end of the cruise with envelopes that will be placed in your cabin or there should be a form that will be delivered to your cabin stating that you can fill it out and the gratuities will be placed on your Sea Pass card. Also you can stop by the Guest Relations desk and they will add them. They will give you a voucher to hand each person that you are tipping at the end of the cruise so that you can hand it to them with your thanks.

1. Add them to your card before you cruise.

2. Have them placed on your card anytime prior to the second to last day.

3. Cash at the end.

You will get vouchers for the envelope they steward will place in your cabin if you elect to place them on your sign and sail card.

4. Have a fabulous cruise. (Okay, that was dorky, but I like to say it).

Pete I paid them on my sea pass card in April for the first time.

Go to Purser's Desk or Customer Relations I guess they call it now and you will fill out a simple one page form. Make sure you include your wife's name and your name as it appears on your cruise documents.

The night tips are handed out, you will recieve your vouchers showing tips paid the afternoon of the last formal night.

Jim

Does anyone know if the crew prefers to have the cash instead of getting it later if we have prepaid it? We did put it on our Seapass card, but added some cash to our suite attendant and waiter, but was just curious about what they prefer and how long it takes them to get it.

Does anyone know if the crew prefers to have the cash instead of getting it later if we have prepaid it? We did put it on our Seapass card, but added some cash to our suite attendant and waiter, but was just curious about what they prefer and how long it takes them to get it.

I don't know if they have a preference, but even if there is an initial delay when you use the voucher system, once they start getting the money it will continue on a weekly basis until their contract is completed and they will receive all the moneys still due them at that time. Just like if your employer holds back your first week's pay, at the end of your employment you will receive one more check representing your last week of work.

Since most of them are on the ship 6 months at a stretch, with very limited time in port during turnover, it probably does not make a difference if they get cash or vouchers. They don't have a lot of places or ways to spend money. Our waiter said some of them will grab a cab from Port Canaveral and go to the Wal-Mart in Merritt Island to purchase some essentials, but largely they just bank the tips or send a large portion of their money home.

We would never prepay tips before the cruise, since we believe tipping should really reflect the service provided and reinforce the right behaviors. If someone truly does a knockout job we'll lavish them with specific praise, and extra yankee greenbacks. If they go through the motions and fail to meet our expectations we'll adjust the tips downwards. However, some people like to stick to a strict budget and count on getting acceptable service and so they pay for their tips when they book their cruise. That's their call.

Archived