Styling gels/creams for short hair

BarbSW

Hi, just got my hair cut fairly short for our cruise (longest piece about 1-2 inches). What I want to do is blowdry my hair, and then add a gel or cream when it's dry to fluff it up. Don't want spikes, just some wayword pieces. Pomade is just too sticky. Any suggestions?

Hi Barb,

I have short hair and the two products I love:

Threads, from the Sebastian Collection. Just a little goes a long way. It is sticky at first, but stays pliable.

The second is Molding Clay by Nolita.

If I want a look to stay put I'll spray my fingertips with hair spray, then run my fingers through my hair where I want some texture.

TIGI makes some great products too like Bed Head. It's a waxy product.

Best wishes!

~e

Control the amount you use, it may take a bit of practise until you figure out what is right for your hair. Don't forget to emulsify the product thoroughly and warm it up for better distribution. Start applying at the back of your head and work forward.

Bumble and Bumble has a nice product called Styling Creme that is thinner than a wax or pomade and not sticky like a gel or mousse. You can use it as a finish product or while blow drying. A little goes a long way.

There are a multitude of products out there. A good place to go "feel" them is Sephora, or any large cosmetic/hair care store.

I have short hair that I often spike using a gel.

Moonshine by Wella works well for my hair (fine and straight and lots of it) and I also like Aveeda's product that comes in a blue glass jar, Brilliant. I get the one that is better for humid weather since I live in FL.

My faves are:

Ojon Animated Styling cream

Jonathan Product Dirt

Peter Coppola Mudd

I've got short hair that is spikey when I first get it cut. All of these work for spiking or just making it piece-y.

The ones I listed are good for either control or spikes. When my hair grows out a little and no longer spikes, I still use them all for texture.

Considering what I've spent in stuff that hasn't worked over the years (my hair may be short, but it's VERY hard to hold), I don't mind paying for stuff that does.

I'm a short-haired girl, too. My hair does have natural curl, but short, it's not curly, just has lots of body. I don't blow dry. My favorite product is by Graham Webb called Making Waves. I guess you'd call it a curl definer. Not gooey or sticky, but does a great job of boosting the volume and I can put pieces of hair where I want them. After it's almost dry I might use a little of the Got 2b Shagged Out. It's stickier, but seems to really lock in whatever piece-y look I want that day!

I have fine hair, but lots of it. It, too, is short.

I think I have tried every product out there, but the best by FAR is Root Boost by Tigi. It is a "moose-type" product, but you spray it directly on the roots, not all over. Concentrate the dryer at the roots, and the lift is incredible. Give the whole head body.

Then, I use a paste, squeeze about the size of a dime on my palm, rub my hands together, then concentrate on the roots again. Then with what is left on my hands, I use it to "piece" out the areas I want more definition to. Follow by a little hair spray.

It works for me!

Too funny! I just read my last post, where I'm telling you about a "moose-type" product.

No, it is not a giant animal with antlers that you find here in Canada!

I meant to say mousse! Serves me right for hitting enter too quickly.

Jackie:o

I use a product called "Demented" by Zone, and get it in the

Sally Beauty store. Little bit goes a long way,and you can control the look - more used = spikes, less = just control. I work in a hospital and don't have time to keep touching up, the

demented plus a good hairspray keeps me going 12+ hours without any problem. Have actually turned on several other short haired friends to it. Good luck finding a product you like.

Archived