SD2 in Caribbean - active enough?

rickandpat

My husband and I are considering SD or Windstar for next Feb. in the Caribbean (Puerto Rico, St. Martin, Saba, St. Barts, Virgin Gorda, etc.) We like the idea of a small port-intensive experience, so Rick can swim, hike, bike, snorkel, kayak, etc. every day. Is the marina put down every day or at least most days? Is most of the time underway at night so daylight hours guests can explore the islands?

Check the brochure. It will tell you the arrival and departure times. Remember, you must be back at least 1/2 hour before departure. Generally, the ship does sail at night. If there are any days at sea, the brochure will tell you.

You can probably leave for shore before 9:00 am. You can check the ship's shore excursions to see if any fit your active lifestyle. I would also suggest doing some thorough web research on each port to locate beaches, bike rentals and similar activities. Most countries have a tourism site and you can move out from there.

The platform only goes down if the ship anchors (not when it docks) and is, among other things weather (wave) and local regulation dependent. dependent. It may also have limited hours. I suggest you email the company for the best information.

Come back if you have more questions.

I believe that SeaDream is as active as any of the options in the Caribbean and your husband will have plenty of time to do everything he wants. We have sailed SeaDream to the Caribbean twice now and found that the platform is down most days ( weather permitting ) but the motor water toys are restricted because of area sea rules. We could still sail boat or kayak in most of the ports.

We took the bikes out most days ( and they will pack you an incredible lunch ) - we even had one of the crew go with us ( to call the ambulance according to my husband ) - but have also just gone out on our own. We have had the crew show us the best hikking spots and have been taken to the best snorkeling via dibbs by the Captain. One thing about SeaDream - make your wishes known and they do a great job of meeting your wishes.

Archived