Any one used Rent a Wreck

LHC

Have any of you ever used Rent A Wreck for a car for pre or post cruise use (Ft. Lauderdale)? With all the costs for the trip, pre and post stays, airfare, excursions, food for traveling, entertainment...is this a good way to save money?

I saw it listed in a Ft. Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce magazine sent to me upon request.

DD and I would like to see a NHL Hockey Game and possibly a Christmas Special at a local church prior to our Christmas/NYE cruise.

All input welcomed.

Linda:)

Check out the price difference between the major car rentals and the 'wreck'. Don't know the diff. but I would take the new car over a used if the diff. is minimal.

Let us know, M.A.

Check out the price difference between the major car rentals and the 'wreck'. Don't know the diff. but I would take the new car over a used if the diff. is minimal.

We used them several times without a problem. Then, the last time was a nightmare. Twenty miles out of the office, the alternator went, and we had to go to a dealership to get it replaced, lost about three hours. Then later in the trip, the starter died and we had to get towed to a garage to get that replaced. Again, lost about six hours. The whole trip, the air conditioning never really worked right.

The most expensive place to rent a car is at the airport. Some companies have off airport rentals, and they will come to the airport to pick you up and drop you off. You can save some money that way.

Last time in Galviston, we used Enterprise at Houston, then dropped off the car at the Galviston office and they drove us to the ship pier.

The convertible at rent a wreck was at 49.00 per day and at Hertz with our AAA discount the total bill for 2 days was to be at 250. Put this is vacation and if I need to pay that for a safe car and a fast, easy rental that would be the way to go....I do not want to be stuck in the wrong side of town, or any where else with my DD, upset at Christmas time.

Linda

Linda,

We have used Hotwire and always got the best rates, even lower than through AAA, and never had any problems They only use major car rental companies. Downside is that your reservation is non-cancelable.

Archived