Shopping

MrsH41704

We will be cruising on the Carnival Glory at Thanksgiving and will be in Progresso on the thursday. Is there a place to shopping? I have never been here before and we do not know what to do. I would like to get some shopping done and was hoping someone can reccomend a place here.

Danielle

Progreso isn't like the over touristed, Americanized ports with 7 or 8 ships is port. No Diamonds International, no Carlos & Charlies. This is Mexico. Progreso has some simple tourist stuff, tees, some locally made ladies and kids Mexican clothing. Merida, is a very large Spanish colonial city that is super and has better shopping. If you need info on Merida email me at

hdawson228@aol.com A favorite of mine. Still Merida doesn't have all those tourist chain stores and the city doesn't depend on tourists for it's existance.

• 3 weeks later...

There are 7 or 8 shops on the pier - primarily tshirts and souveniers. It was definitely cheaper than Cozumel. There is also shopping in Progresso itself, but I did not see people bringing back much other than hammocks.

I think that there is also shopping in Merida, but we did not go there.

Not sure of the cost since I'm in a condo and can't use them. However, do some research as prices can vary (do negotiate) and quality can also vary.

It is a very good place to purchase hammocks.

Archived