Cruising after weight loss surgery

cuppy

They think WLS is the easy way out because they still think we are a bunch of people that just eat way too much and are lazy.

Like I chose to be over 100 pounds overweight, high blood pressure, GERD, asthma, arthritis and not being able to purchase clothes in a regular store.

I like the fact that they call this a satiety defect, it gives our problem a platform.

I could always lose weight, I just couldn't keep it off without starving myself or exercising every moment of the day. I never realized the quantity I used to eat, it still amazes me today when I watch others eat out in restaurants. I remember those days when I worried if there was enough food on my plate, and what I would eat at home if I left hungry.

• 2 weeks later...

I've enjoyed reading all of these posts. I am thinking about weight loss surgery, but I'm not sure if it would work for me. I don't eat large amounts, but love sweets! I munch all day, and can't get it under control. I've been on every weight loss plan their is, and they all work. I just can't handle it long enough to change my habits. The surgery I'm thinking about is the band surgery. Did any of you have this problem? Is this surgery going to help someone like me? I sure would appreciate some insight. Thanks!

They think WLS is the easy way out because they still think we are a bunch of people that just eat way too much and are lazy.

Like I chose to be over 100 pounds overweight, high blood pressure, GERD, asthma, arthritis and not being able to purchase clothes in a regular store.

I like the fact that they call this a satiety defect, it gives our problem a platform.

I could always lose weight, I just couldn't keep it off without starving myself or exercising every moment of the day. I never realized the quantity I used to eat, it still amazes me today when I watch others eat out in restaurants. I remember those days when I worried if there was enough food on my plate, and what I would eat at home if I left hungry.

I have not had the surgery, but have been on many diets myself over the years & have had my weight as high as 221 (at 5'2"). Being on "this side", I can see how some people could think it's an "easy" way out. "Get your stomach stapled & you can only eat what fits. The weight will just fall off."

Did any of you see "Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D List" LAST season? Her overweight husband was looking into getting surgery. He actually binged in the weeks before his "final weigh in" & he put small weights in his pockets when he went to the doctor's office so he could be at the minimum weight necessary to be considered for the surgery! :eek: I think it's the few people out there that have that attitude that make it hard for the rest of you to be "taken seriously". They didn't really go into all the reasons, (the show is about his wife, after all), but he ended up not getting the surgery after all, & this season shows him having lost a lot of weight on his own. I think the idea of it actually being major surgery, plus all the hard things you have to do, he realized he should probably just "buckle down" & try one more time the "regular way". For him -that worked - when he realized the surgery WASN"T going to be easier than "dieting".

My comment about Star - did no one around her notice her eating habits while she was losing? Or did she eat all food in her dressing room? I know what you have to do, especially at the very beginning, is more "drastic" than just eating smaller portions (pureeing food, eating only a couple of ounces at a time, etc) - how could people around her NOT suspect she had surgery? I'm not looking to debate this - just making an observation.

Sha

I am thinking about weight loss surgery, but I'm not sure if it would work for me. I don't eat large amounts, but love sweets! I munch all day,

Maybe you should try to log your intake on fitday.com and see exactly how many calories you are consuming. I also didn't think I ate that much, but I am amazed at the quantity of food I used to eat.

No matter what, it is still calories in and calories expended that allows weight loss.

I am 5'4" and weighed 272 when I had the surgery.

I've enjoyed reading all of these posts. I am thinking about weight loss surgery, but I'm not sure if it would work for me. I don't eat large amounts, but love sweets! I munch all day, and can't get it under control. I've been on every weight loss plan their is, and they all work. I just can't handle it long enough to change my habits. The surgery I'm thinking about is the band surgery. Did any of you have this problem? Is this surgery going to help someone like me? I sure would appreciate some insight. Thanks!

Again - I have not had the surgery, but if your big problem is overindulging in sweets, then you will be forced to curb that problem big time after the surgery, and have to severely change your eating habits anyway. One of the things you'll have to do is really stick to nutrient-rich foods, since you will be able to eat so little. To me - if that's your worst diet fault, if you could somehow get it under control without the surgery, you would be way better off. Surgery for most problems should be the last resort.

Maybe you could figure out lower calorie, higher fiber substitutes for your favorite sweet treats - try having more fresh fruit. When you eat foods that contain more fiber, you stay fuller longer. Ex: 3-4 chocolate dipped strawberries will keep you satisfied much longer than a candy bar or doughnut - with fewer calories. Also consider chewing sugar free gum when you get a sweets craving. Even if you can "trick" your tastebuds & tummy into skipping only a couple of treats a day with the gum - that could be anywhere from 250-500 calories saved per day! :D

You also don't say how much you weigh now, and like nanuak says, you should probably keep track of what you eat for several days to check on your calorie intake.

Sha

• 3 weeks later...

Knut, when I was considering WLS, my main concern was that, like you, I didn't think portion control was my problem. It was my poor choices (donut for breakfast, burger and fries for lunch, pasta for dinner, snacking on cookies and candy in between). I worried lap band wouldn't work for me. Well, after considering it for quite awhile, and verging on some serious health issues, I opted for lap band. It was the best decision for me. I was banded 5 months ago and have lost 40 lbs. But more importantly, I have made a complete change in my eating habits. This is something I'm not sure I could have accomplished without doing something as drastic as surgery. I exercise 5 days a week. Could I have lost this weight doing those same things but without surgery? Perhaps, but the benefit of the band is that I feel satisfied with smaller portions. For instance, I can have cottage cheese, a piece of fruit and a couple of whole wheat crackers at lunch. After work, I head right to the gym. By the time I get home, I'm not starving. Ordinarily, I would be, and then I would start to "graze" on unhealthy foods. I don't do that anymore because I don't walk in the door ravenous. The band controls my appetite, and I tend to make much healthier food choices when I'm not starving and grabbing for everything in sight to shove into my mouth.

I didn't have an exorbitant amount of weight to lose (started out needing to lose about 70 lbs.), but I am small (4'10"), so that 70 lbs. was wreaking havoc on my body.

I'm happy that I look better, but more importantly, I feel fabulous. And I think I feel this great not just because I've dropped 40 lbs., but because the food I'm putting into my body is so much healthier than before. I've tried diets before, and they didn't work. Now I feel like I have a tool (the band) that will help me for the long term.

Good luck whatever decision you make.

I'm going in for the gastric lap-band in a few weeks and was wondering what cruising will be like after surgery.

I'll be honest, my husband and I plan our day around the meal options on the cruise. Isn't that awful, we probably hit every meal and snack available. I think we eat more on a cruise than we do in a month.

I love cruising, but I am wondering how it will be eating on the ship. Has anyone else out there gone in for weight loss surgery and cruised since then. Was it difficult? Did you have issues with eating on the ship? Did it make it difficult to keep within your restricted limits?

I didn't read all answers you got (I'm sure there is good tips because CC people are great). I'll add my 2 cents.

Why don't you take this vacation opportunity to change your bad habits (planning a day around food is a bad habit even if we, North-American, think it's just normal).

A vacation is a good time to learn to enjoy new activities. Instead of highlighting dinning venues on your daily, simply highlight OTHER activities you're interested in. Try to include some physical activity like walk-a-mile organised on many ships. You will meet new people, walk at your rythm and it's a good way to learn to like some physical activity (who doesn't like to walk on the deck of a cruise ship?). There is also some mild activity class you could attend. Instead of using the elevator, use the stairs to get from an activity to another. It will take more time and you will sit less and walk more.

All this is if your doctor allows physical activity, of course.

As for the meals themselves, on NCL there was always a healthy option on the menu and the two times I had it, it was even better tasting than the regular menu (I wasn't on a diet at that time). The buffet or room service will have something for you if you get hungry during the day.

Jerseygirl - congrats on your weight loss :D

My surgery date is tentatively set for Sept 18th. Two weeks after we come home from our cruise. I picked up my drinks from the doctors office at my last visit. He requires that I go on a drink called Proti 15. I bought all 12 flavors - not sure which I would like. I always find powder drink mixes to be hit or miss. After surgrey I will be allowed to go back on Carnation Instant Breakfast (carb free, sugar free), but he doesn't allow any dairy for 2 weeks prior to surgery. These drinks are all made with water.

So far I have lost 33 pounds :D following my pre-surgery diet. That's 10% of my body weight :eek:. The doctor and I discussed my cruise and he told me to go ahead and eat - but don't over do it. My hubby & I are doing all walking tours (except for the drive to Anne of Green Gables), we plan to do the daily walk-a-mile, and I plan to hit the gym at least 5 out of my 7 days on the cruise. Even if it is only for 30 minutes on the tread mill. He told me to order my desserts if I really want them, just try to stop after 2-3 bites and order a dessert every other night instead of nightly. He is expecting a 5 lb. gain from my trip. I don't expect to lose weight, but it would be nice to maintain. I am hoping not to gain more than 3 lbs. Is that possible on a cruise :confused:

The day after we get off the ship I go on these drinks; 3 a day, for two weeks. I am allowed a small (non-dairy) dinner of not more than 300 calories each day. Except the day before surgery, no food at all - just the drinks.

For those considering the surgery; its really a personal choice that needs to be made only after a lot of consideration and research. Prior to starting my process and meeting all my great friends in the support group, I knew 4 people who had surgery (by-pass). I didn't know anyone who had been banded. I was considering it for about six months before I even talked with my 4 friends who had WLS. I still didn't know if the by-pass was for me. Then I learned that a doctor in Rhode Island (20 minutes from me) was doing the band. So I went to his seminar to hear about both surgeries, the risks & the success. It took me 2 - 3 more months before I booked my appointment which was six months out from the time I called. During that six months I did tons of research, went to his support group meetings (where I have met so many wonderful people who have had both surgeries and have shared and tought me so much) and changed my diet over to 2 Carnation Instant Breakfast and one small dinner each day. I wanted to make sure I could handle changing my eating habits before having my band done. Right now I average 700 - 850 calories per day, some days I do the 600. I have completely changed my eating style and I do a lot more vegetables. Some might be wondering why have surgery then if I am doing so well. For me the band is a tool that will help me from over eating. At any moment I could go and eat a pound of pasta:rolleyes: and finish it off with a huge piece of cake. My big problem is I don't know when to stop and it is very easy for me to go back to old ways. I know with the band I will have to watch and count calories the rest of my life, and watch the portion. But that is ok with me; I need to do this for my health.

On Memorial Day I changed to my new eating life style and 33 lbs later I am still doing good. I am wearing clothes I couldn't fit into for over 2 years and people at work have all noticed too. I have more engery too these days. Can't wait to be banded and to continue my weight loss.

I'll be thinking of you on the 18th of September. This surgery saved my life. I don't suggest it unless you are reall stuck and obese, as I was, but when I run five miles in the morning, when I finish a race, when I walk up a flight of stairs without having chest pain. It was the scariest thing I've done, but worth it.

My only pre-surgery advice is eat ice cream now. It's going to be out after the surgery, your stomach will not tolerate it.

Cuppy, congratulations on your decision and we'll be sending good wishes to you for your upcoming surgery. I, too, was on a cruise two weeks before surgery. I was careful with what I ate, in preparation for my lifestyle change.

One word of caution; it sounds like your caloric intake is very low. Most doctors recommend 1200 to 1400 calories a day post-op. You don't want to send your body into starvation mode and cause the metabolism to come to a screeching halt. My doctor isn't fond of substituting a meal with a drink (i.e., Carnation). He feels the purpose of this surgery is to eat good meals like a normal, healthy person. He said he doesn't want me to feel like I'm on a diet the rest of my life. Truthfully, there is nothing I don't eat. Of course, if I have a dessert, it's very rare and I just take a couple of bites. But otherwise I eat everything, but just less of it. And I've drastically reduced my refined carb intake. I still eat carbs, but I try to stick to complex carbs. White bread has no redeeming qualities. Before the surgery, I lived on refined carbs. Now that I've reduced them to such a small amount, I don't even crave them.

Again, good luck with your upcoming surgery.

It's strange how from doctor to doctor the pre and post diets differ. My best friend had the by-pass and she was able to eat right up until the night before surgery. She was on liquids for one week following surgery and then mushies. She also only had to go for the psych eval and blood work. I had a series of tests and doc appts to go for, and my doc has a pretty strict diet plan pre and post surgery. Plus he doesn't allow any food at all 24 hours before surgery.

Both the doc & nutritionist have the 600 calorie diet plan in place for me. I have to make sure I have 45 - 60 grams of protein every day. The drinks have 15 - 20 grams each. After I start my fills they will start increasing my calorie count. Hopefully :rolleyes:

Cuppy, I was on clear liquids for 24 hours before my surgery and 4 days post-op. After that I was progressed from clear to full liquids, then to pureed, then chopped, etc. Within 4 weeks I was back to a normal (as tolerated) diet.

Try going to obesityhelp.com and click on the Lap Band forum. You will gleen lots of helpful information there.

I hope your doctor increases your caloric intake very soon after surgery. 600 calories is well below what would be considered nutritionally sound.

Good luck.

I wish a lot of people who were considering the surgery would read this thread....it's proof that even after the surgery it still takes work. A lady I know go the surgery several months ago and at first she lost quite a bit of weight, but she never really dealt with other issues and for some reason she fought through the pain of overeating (i've eaten past the point I feel sick, so I can understand) but she's back to where she began.

to the original poster, I know it's frustrating getting set back and not feeling good, but don't let that get you depressed!

I watched the 1st episode of this season's Celebrity Fit Club (VH1) last night. (Don't usually watch the VH1 "CelebReality" shows...In fact, I'm thinking of taping the shows, so I can skip thru the "sensationalized" commercials for the other shows they do on VH1!)

Anyway, Carnie Wilson is on (she had one of the surgeries, don't remember which one), but is having trouble losing the weight she gained with her pregnancy, & Tina Yother's mom had surgery, but Tina says she's gained it all back. The panel of experts talked for a few minutes about how people think that WLS is an easy cure-all, but it's not. I'm hoping they talk more about the surgery & the difficulties involved as the show goes on.

Also, the guy from the Sopranos (for get his name, sorry) was supposed to be on last season, but in his pre-show physical, they ended up realizing he needed immediate triple bypass instead! :eek: He gave up smoking after the surgery, & actually ended up gaining about 30lbs! You'd think triple bypass would be a wake up call!

Sha

Grr, I am so tired of Carnie Wilson hyping this surgery. She had a Roun Y, same as me (hers was laproscopic though). It's not a cure all. They are right about that. I struggle with every pound now. I always will. I like to say it gives you two years to get yourself together. After that most people stretch their stomachs to normal size and then the reality begins.

Nancy - I didn't think Carnie Wilson was "hyping" this surgery on the show. Of course they talked about it, becasue everyone knows about it. In fact, she says she had her surgery filmed at the time to show people that it's NOT an easy thing to do. (She also agreed it was sort of a "weird" thing to do, but she had convinced herself at the time she'd be helping others. I got the impression that she realizes now that it wasn't a very good idea to have filmed it.) And she & the panel both said how difficult it is to have the surgery & follow thru with all you have to do afterward. (Unfortunately, they didn't really go into detail of what you have to go thru afterward - which I wish they had. That may have been an editing thing - who knows?)

Sha

Anybody who goes into WLS thinking it's an easy way out will quickly realize the mistake they've made. I had lap band and I have done a complete turnaround in how I view food. I could certainly still "cheat" but the surgery would not be as effective then. I feel so much better not just having lost weight, but making better food choices has resulted in my being a much healthier person overall. I no longer get tired after a big lunch, because I eat a smaller, healthier lunch. I no longer graze on cookies and other sweets. I find I don't crave them. If I have a real yearning for something sweet, I have a small taste and I'm satisifed. I exercise my butt off (literally!LOL) 5 days a week. It's hard work. I was verging on some serious medical issues when I decided to have lap band and for me it's been a real tool in helping me lose weight. It's not a cure all...it's a tool. If used wisely, it can be a life saver. But to anyone who thinks it's an easy way out...no way. It has assisted me in pushing the plate away sooner and making healthier food choices, but it's my own determination that makes me go to the gym to stay fit and keep unhealthy food out of my house. People need to do a lot of soul searching before they visit the surgeon.

Good luck on your surgery!!!

I am planning to get banded after my cruise at the end of November. I would have gotten it already, but my work will not let me take the time off and still take my vacation (not enough time)...Darn Disney!!! I will have to be careful myself with eating on the cruise since it will be so soon after! And for anyone that thinks this is just an easy out...forget them!! I am 320, 5'1'' and way overweight and still in my mid 20's. The weight will just not come off no matter what I do. I applaude you in your pre surgery weight loss. I have just about killed myself to loose 30 lbs. I have only done it once and of course it came right back. WLS is a serious commitment that you are bound tonad I wish the best of luck for all pre and post WLS patients.

Also, as mentioned before, if you have not been on obesityhelp.com yet, check it out. It is a GREAT site.

AK

There are also some great Yahoo groups that deal with lap-band support. Two of the ones that I am active on are DFWBandsters and bandbuddies, it is a great support system, and we have several get togethers on a monthly basis. Although we are primarly located in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, we have members that regularly participate that are located all over the world.

Support is one of the most important things you need pre and post op. The more information you can gather, the better bandster you will be.

I've been logging into obesityhelp for several months now. I finally have my page up and my backgrounds are finally running properly.

I'll definately check out the other sites.

Cptnkirky- do you work for a mid-large company? Or is it a small business? Does your company offer short term disability? If you've been there over a year and put in your 1,250 hours you may be eligible for FMLA. If so they can't tell you that you can not ave time off for surgery. FMLA is without pay, but it protects your job for 12 weeks. You can also put in for short term disability to run concurrently with your FMLA which will then pay you up to 26 weeks at 60% of your pay (if your company offers STD). Sorry - my mind is on work today, I'm in human resources:o

Back to weight loss. I did see the Celebrity Fit Club episode last night and as soon as I saw Carnie on there I thought here we go she's gonna talk about her surgery again. I have to admit I was surprised that she didn't go on and on giving past history where we heard so much about it. I thought it was great that she said she had it and gained weight and they said that you have to continue to work at it. Maybe people will start realizng that WLS patients continue to work & struggle with weight.

Talked to the nutritionist and within 3 weeks of surgery my calorie count will be higher. The good thing is that everything they have me on has high protein and they are watching my vitamin intake too so I am getting everything I need. My nutritionist said this is a short-term pre-op diet that can not be followed for long periods. She had started me on it thinking my surgery would be this summer, but that was delayed due to my gallbladder. She would have started me a lot later had we known. Oh well.

Well I am off to see Jimmy Buffett now :D

Cuppy, yes I work for Disney...of course a huge company. I am eligble for FMLA, the only issue is that if I take that before vacation, I have to use my vacation time for the surgery (a rule). I have no sick time yet to use. Then if I use my vacation time for the surgery, I will be denied vacation time for the cruise as I will be short hours. It is a pain! I have tried everything to get around it, but I am in an HR area as well and they will not budge. If this was a emergency surgery it would be different, but since it is an elective surgery and I am pretty new to this department, they are not allowing it. Bummer! Thanks for the help though!

I wanted to ask you or anyone else if you can tell me what things you are 'eating' while on the liquid diet. My surgeon is not specific when I asked them and told me to ask my nutritionist. I asked her and she was not very specific either. I just wanted to find out what everyone else is being told to eat/drink?

Sorry your compnay won't budge. Our FMLA policy has a statement that the company "may" require you use 50% of your sick or vacation time if used during Jan - July, and 100% if used between Aug - Dec. However they have never enforced it. That is changing on Jan 1 though and they will be. But our STD only requires the first 3 days out to use sick, vacation, personal or LOA - so they let that over ride using your time on FMLA.

Anyway, my diet right now consists of carnation instant breakfast in the morning and at lunch time. Then for dinner I have eithe chicken, fish, or turkey about 3 ounces plus vegies. I also have either a piece of fruit or yogurt (60 calorie) during the afternoon as a snack, then at night either sugar-free jello or a sugar-free popsicle. But the two weeks before surgery I have to switch over to a drink my doctor gave me called Proti 15 which is made with water. I will not be allowed any dairy at all before surgery. I have to do three drinks per day and can have a small dinner consisting of 2 - 3 ounces of chicken, fish, or turkey and a 1/4 cup of veggies. The day before the surgery is 3 drinks only and nothing else.

Once I have the surgery I can go back on carnation instant breakfast or I can do the proti 15 drinks. I have 2 weeks of drinks and then pureed food starts getting added in for the next 4 weeks.

I went last night to Jimmy Buffett and met a woman who had just been banded 8 months ago. She has lost 85 pounds already and said it was the best thing she ever did. She said the drink and pureed phase was tough, but well worth it.

Cuppy,

I have to ask this. Your diet is really strict and you are doing it. If you're losing weight on the diet why are you considering the surgery? This is NOT meant to be a slam. I'm just in the camp that says if you can do it ANY other way then you should.

I recently had the gastric bypass 5/8/06 and am at 45 lbs loss as of today. We are the best dieters in the world. We have lost many, many pounds just to gain them back. Statistics prove that 95% will gain the weight lost in diets back within 5 years, most before that. Weight loss surgery is a tool and if used right is much more sucessful than dieting alone. We all need to make the right decision for ourselves and I am glad I did. Weight loss surgery was not a elective surgery for me, it was

medical necessity so my insurance covered it. Human resources and I went rounds on this and I won by proving it was necessary and proven by a third party doctor. FMLA was in force and short term disability covered me. It has been a godsend. I had NO pain with the surgery, lap performed, and have had no medical problems since. I am going on my first cruise since my surgery on 8/24 and don't think I will have a problem with eating. There are many choices to meet my protein intake. I have been able to tolerate alchohol in small doses, no fru-fru drinks, diet cranberry and vodka, and will still have some on the cruise. I will bring my own diet cranberry to have a few drinks. The hardest thing will not having the german chocolate cake for lunch the one day in the dinning room as this is my favorite and I really don't have a sweet tooth. I might just have to take one bite but that will be all I need as food is not as big of a thing to me now since my surgery. Good luck with you all who have surgery planned and good cruising days ahead. Just think of sitting in a bathing suit instead of being embarrassed to be seen in one. I have a new one that looks pretty good and can't wait until I have to buy another in a smaller size.

Archived