Left Bag in New York

inotnaptoo

We Got off the Dawn Yesterday. Couldn't of asked for a better time. During deparktaion we helped a women in a wheel chair and her dauther with their bags. As the porter loaded our bags our garment bag was left behind in the customs area. The bags were loaded onto a bus and we headed for Providence RI. When the bus was unloaded thats when we noticed the bag was missing. I called ncl and they gave me a number for the contractor they use to off load the ship. There was no anwser at the number yesterday nor today. I called ncl again this morning and they gave me the same number, but still no anwser an no machine. Ncl advised me to try again on monday. I felt glad I was helping somebody who needed assistance but now I'm looking for a little guidence myself. Any suggestion would be appreicated. It was tagged with cabin number and personal information. (no insurance thru ncl)

Thanks

I should have checked twice

This happened to our DD in San Juan about 8 years ago: to our surprise she was able to get her bag back. Let's hope you have as good of luck as she did. I would suggest, like NCL did, you call tomorrow. There is a good chance they either have no one working on the weekend or a min crew. NMNita

try calling the NY Port Authority directly.

We also left a bag behind after we got off the ship in NY

They have a department which handles just that kind of stuff.

We called and they had our bag, and offered to either ship it to us

or we could pick it up.

We opted to pick it up cause we are right here on Long Island.

There was no problem what so ever

Debbie

We left our garment bag at the Miami port and the cruise line shipped it to us COD by UPS for about $25.00.) I am sure they find missed bags after every cruise. You will get it back.

Don't want to ruin your hopes..but I left a carry-on bag in Ft. Lauderdale a couple years ago...(which everyone knows is where you would keep jewerly, medications, etc...) It was never recovered..luckly my home owners insurance covered it and I was able to replace alot...(not everything!) but most...

Keep trying, but to be on the safe side, you need to contact the NY police and file a report, so you can turn it into your insurance company!

Good Luck

Thanks everybody, Spoke with the port of New York - Diamond Forwards Inc.- is the contractor that off loads the ship. They had my bag as it never left the customs area. They will charge me $40.00 to pick it up of $65.00 to ship it to me. So its on its way to MA via UPS ground. Thanks Again - Brad

I am thrilled that you found you bag. But I dont understand why you would be charged to pick it up.

I left my bag in an airport a few years back, and when I picked it up in thier lost and found, there was no charge. Why is this different? I am sure it must be worth the cost to you, but still this does not seem right to me.

I am thrilled that you found you bag. But I dont understand why you would be charged to pick it up.

I left my bag in an airport a few years back, and when I picked it up in thier lost and found, there was no charge. Why is this different? I am sure it must be worth the cost to you, but still this does not seem right to me.

Quite agree.Under UK law this would be classed as lost property. It still belongs to the owner unless left unclaimed for three months when it would become the property of the finder. I can only assume that they are claiming an administration charge which at $40 seems a little excessive.

Still I am sure you are glad to have got it back. Over here, it would probably have been subject to a controlled explosion.

BTW, we left a suit carrier at the ship in Corfu, noticed it missing when we got to the airport. We suspect that it hadn't been located with the rest of our flight's luggae, so we missed it

As it was a Thomson's cruise, there was another coach coming from the ship 20 mins later so we were reunited with our expensive clothes. What a relief. :eek:

inotnaptoo - I left a bag in the parking area last March, and Diamond Forwarding took great care of the bag! It arrived here in NH about 5 days afterwards, packaged very nicely in a box and none-the-worse-for-wear! It was well worth the $65.00 fee - as the bag contained about $800 worth of cameras, cd players, cds ... ;)

smoothdancer - the fee is actually quite reasonable. The pier is in NY, and Diamond Forwarding is in NJ. Every time a ship arrives at the pier a representative has to go and retrieve all the lost baggage and transport it to NJ. Then it has to be catalogued, and efforts must be made to locate the owners. In the meantime, all those belongings are safe-and-sound in the hands of a bonded company. ;) Quite a bit different from an airport situation, thus the need for a fee.

Archived