Parking in New Jersey

maurick

I don't think there are any ferries that go to the pier where the ships are - all the ones I know go to lower Manhattan and midtown (39th St). You can check routes/schedules at www.nywaterway.com.

Also, NY Waterway does run a free bus that goes up to 57th St from the 39th St. terminal - which would go right to the pier you need (at 55th St). Be aware - the bus does not run on the weekends.

http://www.nywaterway.com/ferry/schedules/bus-route.asp?busid=18

Contact them to verify any information or questions you might have:

http://www.nywaterway.com/ferry/contact.shtml

Alternatively, you could take the ferry to 39th St. and then take a taxi up to the pier from there (about 1 mile).

In NJ, you could park and stay at a hotel in/at Exchange Place/Harborside/Jersey City or Hoboken.

Howard

You can park at the NY Waterways ferry terminal - approximately $8 per day. The ferry used to come out at 39th st, but they have a new terminal that is closer to the cruise ship pier. You can walk if you are able and pack light. We usually do. If not you can take a cab.

I just did it and its $9 a day plus tax and definetly take a cab it was $4.70 plus tip and so worth it. The walk to the ship seemed like forever because of the luggage.
Do you have the address for the ferry terminal? How much is the ferry? Know any names of the hotels that let you stay the night before your cruise and leave your car there until you return? Thanks, Vicki

Do you have the address for the ferry terminal? How much is the ferry? Know any names of the hotels that let you stay the night before your cruise and leave your car there until you return? Thanks, Vicki

Vicki go to www.nywaterway.com for routes and schedules for Port Imperiale in Weehawken. From what I have read on the boards the only hotels are close to Newark that let you cruise/park. There is a Sheraton in Weehawken that is only 5 minutes from Port Imperiale but you would still have to park at the Port. If you do park at the Port make sure you drive up to the front and drop off your luggage and then park your car the walk is lengthy and not to convenient.

I just did it and its $9 a day plus tax and definetly take a cab it was $4.70 plus tip and so worth it. The walk to the ship seemed like forever because of the luggage.

Is this lot secure? Did you have any problems leaving your car here? Did they take credit cards? Do you pay up front? Thanks for your help. Vicki

Is this lot secure? Did you have any problems leaving your car here? Did they take credit cards? Do you pay up front? Thanks for your help. Vicki

This is NOT a secure lot it is open to the street but I haven't heard of a problem. You get a ticket wihich you pay at the end.

No as smeyer418 said it is open to the street and we paid cash but I'm sure they take credit cards. Just give them a call.

And their busses run on weekends too.

Signman this is an old post that I researched for hotel, ferrry, busses and parking hope this answers all of your questions.

I went into the city yesterday to see the New Freedom of the Seas (amazing) and also saw the Dawn. After checking out a lot of things I hope the following information is helpful for people wanting to stay in New Jersey and park long term cheaper than the docks.

Sheraton Suites on the Hudson (Lincoln Harbor)

500 Harbor Boulevard, Weehawken, New Jersey 07087

You can see your ship from this hotel. There is ample free parking at the hotel. Next door you will find Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Houlihans, a CVS pharmacy, and other handy stores. The Chart House which is super nice and a little pricey is two blocks away with spectacular views. The Chart House is an excellent place to watch the ships leave port on the Jersey side. On the NY side the new ferry terminal is the next best place to view ships leaving. (Which I did to watch the Freedom of the Seas leave and then from NJ I watched the Dawn depart).

This hotel is a good base if you plan to go in the Manhattan area 34th to 42nd street, Times Square etc. shuttle buses (numbers 156, 158 & 159) across the road run about every 10 minutes and get you to Port Authority in NY in 15 minutes for $2.30. They stop running at midnight. There is also a light rail station that takes you to Hoboken where you can take the Path Train into the World Trade Center.

There is a ferry right in front of the hotel that runs weekdays, for a $5.75 for the ferry (if bought at the hotel or at the main terminal it costs $5.25) and departs every 20 minutes, with the last direct ferry departing Manhattan at 11:00 p.m. The hotel operates a courtesy bus but you must remember to call them on the return journey to tell them what ferry you are on so they are there to pick you up.

The other option is Port Imperial Ferry in Weehawken for $6.50, www.nywaterway.com ferry (5 minutes from the hotel by shuttle ride).

TIP: If you are driving in, and would rather stay in Manhattan, park long term at the ferry ($9 per day - I just called the terminal) and take it over to the docks for your trip (it is outdoor parking).

NY Waterway's red, white, and blue buses are NY landmarks which will deliver you directly to the West 38th Street ferry terminal from locations all over Manhattan: 57th Street, 49th Street, 42nd Street, 34th Street, plus uptown and downtown (hold onto your ferry stub).

The buses stop at all NY city bus stops along these routes. Just wave down our bus (like hailing a cab) and hop on to reach our cruises. Remember - it's free! For route information, call 1-800-533-3779 or check out all the info provided on their website.

We have just had another family book to join us on our Victory cruise. I had come up with a couple of options for hotels from this board, one of which was in Queens near a subway station. These folks have apparently been talking to someone who stays in New Jersey whenever they go to NYC for the weekend and they've decided this is the way to go. What part of New Jersey would I look at for hotels? Safety is really important. Does the subway run from New Jersey to New York (really sorry if that's a stupid question:D )? We will want to go into Times Square etc. for the day before the cruise so what's the easiest but still cheap way to get there and back?

I've been reading a lot on this thread about parking in New Jersey for the duration of the cruise and the $9 a day is really appealing but how difficult will this be to navigate? If I tell you that the people we travel with are very frugal:D, can tend to get wingy unless they're following me and my carefully laid plans:D , and won't want to walk far dragging luggage, could you give me exact directions for parking in NJ and sailing from the NYC pier?

Please be patient with me. All I know about NYC is what I've read here at CC. It was a whole lot less stressful when I was just planning for my family, lol.

We have just had another family book to join us on our Victory cruise. I had come up with a couple of options for hotels from this board, one of which was in Queens near a subway station. These folks have apparently been talking to someone who stays in New Jersey whenever they go to NYC for the weekend and they've decided this is the way to go. What part of New Jersey would I look at for hotels? Safety is really important. Does the subway run from New Jersey to New York (really sorry if that's a stupid question:D )? We will want to go into Times Square etc. for the day before the cruise so what's the easiest but still cheap way to get there and back?

I've been reading a lot on this thread about parking in New Jersey for the duration of the cruise and the $9 a day is really appealing but how difficult will this be to navigate? If I tell you that the people we travel with are very frugal:D, can tend to get wingy unless they're following me and my carefully laid plans:D , and won't want to walk far dragging luggage, could you give me exact directions for parking in NJ and sailing from the NYC pier?

Please be patient with me. All I know about NYC is what I've read here at CC. It was a whole lot less stressful when I was just planning for my family, lol.

Thank you for your post. It maid my evening(intended misspelling). I believe its best layed plans. While the subway doesn't run to NJ, PATH which is like the subway does as do some of the commuter trains.

The www.nywaterways.com site listed above has the directions and the parking info. There are hotels in Jersey City that are close to PATH stops...someone should be able to give you more specifics.

The shuttle busses I mentioned above are under $3.00 and you have to have exact change and bring you out at Port Authority and Times Square is right there.

If you park at the ferry just make sure you pull you car to the front of the terminal to drop off the luggage and then park the car. It's not that difficult to get on and off the ferry with your luggage and the taxi's to take you to the pier are right outside the ferry terminal for the 6 block ride which should cost $10. But you can only get 3 people in the back and the luggage in the trunk so you will need a couple of cabs.

You can get the all the information and directions from their website www.nywaterway.com

Should have thanked smeyer for the spelling/grammar lesson as well. My grade 4 teacher is most appreciative.

you are welcome... You must admit the best laid plans is pretty funny as in Robin had a heavy date last night.. Maid Marian..

Archived