scared to snorkel

spud1997

There is only 1 week out of the year you have to worry about Sharks causing havoc, and thats on Shark Week Discovery Channel :D

If you intend on buying a nice mask, make sure you use white toothpaste and rub it inside of the glass hard and fast a few times to get the film out. This will prevent your new mask from fogging up. Then use a Defogger liquid and put a few drops inside the mask, these Defogger are also sold where you buy your mask or a local scuba shop. Try scrubbing the inside of one side of the mask first with the toothpaste then using the defogger then use your warm breath to see if you can get it to fog up and also compare the side that you didnt scrub with the side that you did.

This will keep you under the water longer and will give you more time to enjoy the view rather then dealing to clear the mask and having it get all tangled up in your long hair.

You will pay good money, up to $44.00 for a good Dry Snorkle, but they are well worth it. These have a level with a float that will cause the top or tip of the Snorkle to shut close once it feels the water preventing water from coming in, these also have a quick purge valve by the mouth piece to expel water immediately. Go to your local dive shop and these guys will help you with these cool products.

Lastly there is a nice soft Mask Strap that is not made of rubber and will not cause your long hair to get tangled up in it, it simply slides right over your hair.

Fred

I wouldn't let worrying about a shark deter your snorkeling experience...once you get used to it...it's a ton of fun ( the snorkeling, NOT the shark ;) My first time snorkeling I encountered a sea turtle and it was a wonderful experience. I would definitely invest in a your own personal snorkeling equipment though because you cannot be sure that the equipment they give you on excursions fits properly...not to mention if it has been cleaned and sanitized. Like others have said...by owning your own equipment you can practice ahead of time so when you do actually go, you will be much more relaxed and enjoy it more. Btw, shaving cream also works well in preventing your mask from fogging up.

WHY snorkel at all if you don't want to??

DH can snorkel and you can relax on the beach, shop, get a massage, whatever

I don't like snorkeling, and I live in Florida and could do it anytime if I felt like it but I don't

I like to eat fish, and catch fish but I don't like to swim with them

The biggest danger I have seen is getting run over by a boat, rare but horrible, some people are just jerks with boats and jet skis

Just recently a little boy was run over in the keys while snorkeling

and sadly he died

There are various "water toy" accidents here, people on jet skis etc can really get hurt if they do not know what they are doing, so really everyone should be careful around them

Please no flames...I am sure snorkeling is fine for people who like it, I don't like it....not everyone wants to snorkel.

Different strokes for different folks

I am afraid too, but not of sharks. More of being in the water with contact lens and not knowing how to breathe right with a mask. Maybe some day I will try it.

I love snorkeling and have only done so three times so still learning. I do snorkel with my contact lens but no water gets in my mask. My kids ages 11, 15, and 17 also snorkeled with their contacts. Bad eyes run in the family!

Not too sure about that shaving cream. Especially if menthol or something. Wouldn't want any of that running in my eyes.

A few drops of baby shampoo added to water makes a good no tears solution.

Personally, I use a store bought solution. Life is too short as it is.

WHY snorkel at all if you don't want to??

DH can snorkel and you can relax on the beach, shop, get a massage, whatever

I don't like snorkeling, and I live in Florida and could do it anytime if I felt like it but I don't

I like to eat fish, and catch fish but I don't like to swim with them

The biggest danger I have seen is getting run over by a boat, rare but horrible, some people are just jerks with boats and jet skis

Just recently a little boy was run over in the keys while snorkeling

and sadly he died

There are various "water toy" accidents here, people on jet skis etc can really get hurt if they do not know what they are doing, so really everyone should be careful around them

Please no flames...I am sure snorkeling is fine for people who like it, I don't like it....not everyone wants to snorkel.

Different strokes for different folks

I am with you on not liking snorkeling. I tried it in Hawaii, and felt like I was going to drown a couple of times. I am not a water person, unless I am in a jacuzzi with a foo-foo drink!

Btw, shaving cream also works well in preventing your mask from fogging up.

Also Fairy liquid, or in the US vernacular Dish Soap. That is what most of the Snorkling places use, just a bit of soap watered down, works like a charm.

Cheers,

Peter

During our first cruise, to Bermuda, in 2000, my DH really wanted to try snorkeling. I was not impressed. I was very scared for the same reasons many people are. Will I drown? Will I see scary fish? Will I get mouthfuls of salt water down me?

Well, I decided to give it a try. We had a little lesson on the boat that took us to our snorkeling place and off we went. Well, I will tell you that it was almost impossible to get me out of the water! I was one of the last people back on the boat. It was the most fantastic experience.

Just the feeling of floating on top of the water with my face in the water, breathing perfectly and seeing the most beautiful fish and rock and coral formations was the most peaceful feeling. Now I even snorkel in the lakes around my home.

We don't have our own equipment (I borrow a friends) and have never had a problem with the ones they give you on tours. I wouldn't waste the money on your own equipment, especially if you're not sure you will even like it. All the masks are adjustable, the equipment is sterilized.

If it's allowed, or perhaps they will sell it on the excursion, bring some fish food. Having them swim up to you and practically eat out of your hand is amazing.

Please go! Have a great time. If you don't like it, get back in the boat and sunbath and have some cocktails until the other people are done and back in the boat. It will probably still be a nice experience.

By the way, where are you going?

ok.. some great tips from Wennfred ... "McNett Sea Gold was tested by Rodale's Scuba Diving magazine and found to be the most effective mask defog on the market. Sold in 1 1/4 ounce bottle" whereever you buy your mask.. ( dive shop) they sell this stuff. Works like a charm. and they will let you try it . The toothpaste.. not the gel stuff, does take the factory film off inside of Mask.

If you dive with contact lens, tho they don't recommend... take them out after dive and throw away. have spares... they don't cost alot if you buy contact.com or such. flush eyes with sterile Saline and wash hands to put new contacts in after the dive/ snorkle.

Also try a bit of Sea Breeze on a q tip to gently wipe away salt water out of ears.. ( don't dig deep, ha!) but this is a diver's secret to getting the water out so you don't have ear aches.

Don't forget, rinse all equip in fresh water right after dive/snorkle so your equipment ~~ which is costly will last longer.

As for critters in the water.. do not touch the reef or critters and you will come out a whole lot better and the reef will be around for your next dive/snorkle.

If you are new, follow the dive master, ask questions prior to dive/snorkle. Read up.. make a game of it with your family.. there are plenty of sites on net that help with that... and there is also Name that critter!.. get one of those wrist tablets and share with other what you see! keep a journal. bring a water proof camera.. even on the cruise ship you can have those pix developed.

As for the above water incidents.. true.. even with proper diver location devices... accidents happen. like in all things in life.. be aware at all times. if you have to look both ways to cross the street.. same true in water.. have a whistle attached to vest... to sound if there is a problem.

Like some posters have said... snorkling / diving isn't everyone's cup of tea.. if it is yours.. while having fun, be responsible ... for yourself and the surroundings.

I used to like hiking and camping in Montana and often came across sites where garbage was left strewn about. used to get under my skin. Divers feel the same way bout the Ocean... There is soooo much to see, to experience... and come away with Awe.. I surely do hope everyone here has helped you feel a bit more comfortable, knowledgeable and anxious to dive/ snorkle soon!!

ps: I have a tread mill. and when i walk on it.. I pinch my nose.. try to breathe deeply ... easily and smoothly while I walk. When I feel out of breath.. I stop.. rest up.. helps me feel a bit more relaxed when I do snorkle. When you get tired, or anxious.. stop.. go back on board.. rinse.. change out of contacts.. and enjoy the view.. the food and drink... and your life!!:D

Like some posters have said... snorkling / diving isn't everyone's cup of tea

So true, this past March, Wendy and I took the Beginners Diving Course just for her since Im already certified. They had her do 3 things which are totally impossible for a newbie, (even in a pool)

1. Remove, Flood mask under water and replace and clear.

2. Remove the regulator from your mouth, throw it back and recover it and clear.

3. I think the last one was Rescue breathing or Buddy breathing.

These are hard to do for a beginner at the beach, they are hard for most people even in a swimming pool.

Wendy failed on all 3 things listed above and spent a nice time sitting at the beach. Although they were willing to spend the time to train her, it was taking away time for the rest of us as we had to wait.

I don't recommend the Beginners Divers excursion unless you had prior training.

Fred

As for critters in the water.. do not touch the reef

Especially stay away from any Rust/Red/Brown looking reef, this is called Fire Coral or Red Coral, meaning it burns:confused: causing blisters.

This was new to me, now they do not allow you to wear gloves because if you wear gloves you will touch the reef more, and they are preventing this from having you not wear gloves... The reef is sharp and can cut your soft wet skin pretty easily.

Fred

I bring a couple of boxes of dry cereal from the Windjammer to feed the fish. Cherrios are the best. They hold up well in the water before they get gobbled up by the fish.

:eek: NOT a good idea for somebody who's already afraid of whatever's down there! My first time, somebody 'fed' the fish, and all of a sudden, I was surrounded. It was scaaaaary! Talk about a panic attack!

You will see them, and if they are hungry, they will bite you. But other than that you should be fine.

LOL- And remember, you don't have to swim fast, only faster than the slowest swimmer.... (sorry OP)

OP, you should be fine. IMO, once you start seeing all of the color and beauty of the multitude of marine life you'll forget about being scared. It is so unbelievable:)

(A tip from a prior board: Cheese Whiz also is a great attractant, or so I was told)

I'm taking my first cruise in aug and my husband would really like to snorkel, however, I'm soooo scared of seeing SHARKS:eek: can anyone ease my fear

I've been diving and snorkeling close to 50 years now. I have seen just about every shark there is at one time or another and the only one that scares me is the two fin one called Man. This shark will get you into more harm than anything else.

I'm taking my first cruise in aug and my husband would really like to snorkel, however, I'm soooo scared of seeing SHARKS:eek: can anyone ease my fear

Trust me, with the way the media has been focusing on the dangers of cruising, if people were having shark encounters on their cruise ship snorkel excursions, you'd be hearing about it ad nauseum. You're going to be okay. Snorkeling is great fun!

I love the feeling of weightlessness and freedom when snorkling. How do you know you won't like it until you've tried it??? Besides, it's not the idea of sharks that spooks me, it's the barracudas, eels, and that scary guy in the speedo that's too small for him...

I swim with my contacts in (just be VERY careful) and make sure I rinse & clean them well when I take them off at night (I had gas perms - they are not cheap, nor are they throways). A bit of your own spit swirled on the lenses will keep them from fogging up.

Get a decent snorkel and practice in the pool to get used to it. I always have trouble the first few minutes because I am thinking about breathing and can't get the rhythm right. Just relax. You'll be amazed at how quickly the time flies while you are in the water. Don't worry about your swim ability either - my tc can barely dogpaddle and we took a trip at Camp Pennekaamp (FL) and she enjoyed herself paddling around and peeking at the fishes.

Don't touch the coral because it will kill it and we are losing the protection and environs of the reefs at an alarming rate already.

Also remember that although it is "cool" to feed the fish and to get them to come close to you, our food is not really good for them...fish will also get aggressive and expect food if they are always fed (why do you think the stingrays gather in those spots for the tourists??) I've always seen plenty without having "food" for them.

oh and a really important thing -- Make sure you have a shirt or LOTS of waterproof sunscreen on your shoulders, back and face!! The sun reflects off the water and you can get a bad burn withut realisingit. I did a number on my back afew years ago even though it was overcast - 4 hours in the water face down gives your back a lot of sun!!

(I thought the shark joke was pretty funny myself!)

Wow some really really good advise on this site. so very proud of the cc people here!

to the lady who is wearing the Gas Perm's .. ok , that i do understand is expensive. if you wear under mask. bring glasses.. ( expecially ones with clip on sunglasses ) in case of loss. or damage. and so you can put "used" lens in case to sterilize after dive/snorkle. even tho i have the "cheapies" throw away's .. i still bring my prescrip glasses and a copy of script for both lens and glasses on all trips ( just in case)

as for the people who took an intro class. I am so proud of you.. even if you "failed" to me.. you did not.. you tried. .. those classes can be a bit overwhelming when "thrown " at you ... most people are better suited to attempt learning " new" sports on a more quieter easier tone.. at home.. in pool or at dive center.

you tried. and for me.. nuff said. glad to hear that your sense of fun was ever present and your cruise was still fun!

to all of you who consider one of these classes.. think .. are you one of those people who can learn on the spur of the moment or do you need time and space?

glad we all passed up on seeing sharks on a snorkle trip!! the colors.. for a newbie.. may be like .. watching Finding Nemo... in real living color!!

*** without Bruce .. of course.. heheheh!

oh and one more thing.. most divers bring the quick dry towels. I bring one on all travel trips because it is small. works like a wonder and great for most travel "bathing" situations.

also.. most bring a windbreaker.. for inclement weather, sun.. wind. and after being in the water .. no matter how hot it is.. you may return to the boat a bit chilled.. not to mention those marguerita drinks.. : )

When we were in the Virgin Islands last December during our Valor cruise, we went on a snorkeling excursion to beautiful Trunk Bay on St. John. The outfitter that was managing the equipment for the excursion gave us first-timers a great lesson on how to snorkel. One thing that he told us was that it is very common for people to experience something of a panic attack the first time they try snorkeling. I thought, " nah, won't happen to me....I'm used to swimming with my face in the water....I'm not scared of trying this..." , etc. Well, guess what? Sure enough, as soon as I tried putting my face in the water and breathing through the snorkel tube.....panicky feeling. I was SO glad that he had warned us, or I might have thought that I really couldn't/shouldn't do it. A few of your basic "deep, cleansing breaths" and I was just fine. It was an awesome experience for this landlubber. I especially enjoyed watching the parrot fish. They are very territorial about the reefs they consider "home" and will swim quite close to you in an attempt to keep you away from the reef area.

Hope that helps some!

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

Carnival Valor~December 2005

Archived