Spriit Review with baby 5/28-6/3

Spirit Review 5/28-6/3

We thoroughly enjoyed our vacation. It was our first vacation with our daughter who is almost 1 year old. I have been on two other cruises, both were on different cruise lines (carnival and Celebrity). I liked the Spirit much more than the two other ships I was on, but neither of those two ships were newer ships.

I found the layout of the Spirit really easy and knew my way around very quickly.

We got to the pier by 11:30. I was not Latitudes so we waited until about 12 before we started the check in process. We were at Windows by 1pm and got to our room at 2pm. Our luggage arrived shortly after that.

We had a balcony room on deck 9. We had a pack n play for a crib for my daughter that was just fine. The pack n play came with a mattress and a sheet that was not fitted, but I took that off and used my own portable crib sheet that I brought from home. The room did not have enough storage space for all of our stuff, but I brought a bin that I thought I would use to store my daughter’s toys, but instead that became the bin for her clothes.

Other than that, the room was just fine for the week. The hairdryer sucked, but I didn’t feel packing my own and sort of knew it would from my research on these boards. So I mainly let my hair air dry for the week. The mattress is a bit thin, I never asked for the egg crate thing, but would definitely ask for it next time. It didn’t really become that uncomfortable until several nights in a row of sleeping on it.

Our room steward was very friendly, helpful and courteous. If anyone cares, we had the towel animals most nights.

We ordered room service several times but just for minor things: coffee, fruit. Room service is slow, but it didn’t really bother us.

Food: We didn’t dine in any specialty restaurants because we were with my daughter. One of the reasons we chose this cruise is so that we can go to dinner without being stuck to a schedule. So we didn’t want to make any reservations. I also like that you dont have to eat with the same strangers 6 nights in a row, like you would on other cruise lines. It is great to meet new people, but having to eat with the same people for a whole week gets really old.

We ate at Windows all nights but two. We ate at Garden one night and one night we got food from Raffles, ate by the pool. Service at Windows was varied. Most nights we had to ask for drinks, noone asked if we wanted anything to drink. But the wait staff was friendly and courteous.

I was happy that they had salmon as an Always Available choice. Sometimes there was nothing that interested me from the selections for dinner. But the salmon was decent so I was okay with that. I do not eat pork, veal or steak, but my husband was pleased with his pork chops, his steak and the Veal oscar dish he ordered. We both had the lobster on Thursday. It was okay, not great. I never had escargot before and thought it was really good. My favorite dessert was the Apple in the Jacket dessert.

We mostly ate at Windows for breakfast. It was just easier with the baby to have a sit down meal than to deal with getting the food from the buffet. The omelettes at windows were good.

I thought the menu at the Blue Lagoon was weird. I tried the wonton soup that I heard about from the message boards but did not like it at all. The broth was like hot and sour soup which I don’t like. The wings were good.

The high chairs were pretty clean and they are plastic, so I was able to wipe them down easily before my daughter sat in them. I packed my daughter’s high chair cover but that was a waste.

The chocolate buffet was a nice thing to attend, but we are not huge chocolate lovers. It was still fun to taste a few things.

I didn’t try that much of the food at Raffles, mostly salad, fruit and the grilled fish. My husband loved the pool side barbeques.

For my daughter, we ordered the Macaroni and cheese which she loved. We also asked for bananas and slices of cheese. They were very happy to get her whatever she needed. We brought all of her other food from home. They do have Cheerios, so that was the one thing that we didn’t need to pack.

Soda card-we purchased one soda card and felt like we definitely made the right decision. It was $37 and includes a refillable coke thermos.

Entertainment: we didn’t go to any shows because we were with the baby.

Galaxy of the Stars: we mostly went there for drinks either before or after dinner. We really enjoyed Jose and Patti.

Itinerary: this itinerary was perfect for us because we were with the baby, but I think for most people the days at port were way too short. For Nassau we had to be on the boat by 2pm, I think. The last tendor back the day at Great Stirrup Cay was at 1pm.

At Port Canaveral we rented a car from Budget. The van was waiting for us by the ship and everything went smoothly. The van driver told us some roads to Orlando were closed due to wildfires, but that wasn’t true. But it got me a little nervous the whole day. We drove to Orlando and went to the downtown Disney area. It was perfect for us, since there was a few kiddie rides, stores to walk into and we had a nice lunch at a seafood restaurant. But I think we would have liked walking around Sea World or Universal better. (the upside was that there was no admission fee to Downtown Disney) IF you have a family with young children, I would definitely recommend renting a car and going on your own instead of going on the bus. We were also able to stop in the Publix and buy a few things that we needed. Stopped at Dunkin Donuts etc.

Nassau: from my research on these boards, we decided to go to Cable Beach. When we first left the ship, we had to go through this terminal, and I felt like cattle being herded. All the locals are asking if you want tours, taxis to atlantis etc. We finally found a guy who got us a taxi to Cable beach. It was about a 15 minute ride. I have read about taking the bus, but this was easier for us. We shared a van with three others and it cost us $10 plus tip. Noone gave us a hard time at the Wynhdam. The beach is nice, but the pool area needs a paint job. But it was a nice relaxing day. It was overcast and even rained a little, but it was nice just to lay at the beach and relax. As we were in the taxi back it was downpouring, so we didn’t really walk around the straw market like we planned to.

GSC: the one big complaint I have about our experience on this trip was the tender to the island for the night party. We wanted to go over on the early side and check it out for sunset and come back in time for my daughter to go to sleep. Well we got caught in a big unorganized mess….waited about 40 minutes for a tender, missed the sunset and since it took so long to get over there, we had to turn around after only a short while to get my daughter to bed. From what I heard, one tender broke down, so they were down a tender. I don’t think the communication between crew members was very organized, since the girl didn’t really know what was going on. IF anyone wants to know more details, you can ask, but I don’t really feel like rehashing the whole thing. But there were quite a few very upset people.

Child Care center: We got a note on our door inviting us to the “ Under Two Zoo” This was specific times where the kids under 2 were able to use the child care center with the parents supervision (no drop off) This was absolutely wonderful for my daughter. She loved crawling around there. WE were surprised more people didn’t take advantage of the opportunity, but we mostly had the place to ourselves.

All in all: a fabulous time. We met such friendly people. I loved the idea of freestyle cruising. This was a great way to spend a week with my husband and daughter. I got great advice from these boards and think I was well prepared because of the research I did on these message boards. Feel free to ask any questions. Cant wait for my next cruise. J

Refreshing post. Thank you for that and glad your family had such a great time.

Just a question about getting back to the ship in Nassau as we also plan on going to Cable Beach. What time do we need to head back by and was it easy to hail a cab from the Wyndham or thinking may take a cab there and then the jitney back?

Melinda, thank you for your thorough review! We are going on the Spirit 8-night itinerary with our son, who will be 18 months old when we sail. We sail July 22nd.

Question...did you bring a carseat? I ordered a "Tote 'n' Go" but it is supposed to ship out to me on june 30th so I am waiting for it. It's a smaller travel carseat that is designed so that you can pack it in a large diaper bag. It weighs 4 pounds. Basically it is a carseat without the sides to it, and it is not raised up. I asked my son's pediatrician about it and he said that it is fine to use on the islands in cabs and stuff like that.

The playtime hours at the childcare center sound wonderful. We will definitely be going to that with our son. He will love running around there. Did you use the outdoor play area? I heard that is nice too, and they allow toddlers under 2 to play their with their parent's supervision. Something else we will be taking advantage of on our cruise.

I am also glad they have an extensive kids' menu. There are a lot of different things my son eats, and from what I have read on these boards, they have them all on the kids' menu (macaroni and cheese, hamburgers, grilled cheese, pizza, pasta, etc.). The only snack I plan on bringing is the Gerber Graduates fruit puffs, because my son does get a little antsy after he finishes a meal, and whenever we go to restaurants we give him those after his meal if he acts fussy. I prefer these over little pieces of bread because they have very few calories, so my son won't end up being overweight from overeating after a meal. They're only 25 calories for half a cup and he eats maybe a quarter of a cup after a meal. It keeps him occupied and calm. They also have vitamins in them so I like that too. I plan to bring 2 containers of these for an 8-night cruise, in 2 different flavors.

How did you wash your daughter's bottles? We will be bringing sippy-cups for our son. We will have to wash them in the cabin so I was going to bring a sponge and a travel-size dishwashing liquid. I figured after he goes to bed we can wash them out.

How early/late did you put your daughter to bed? My son does well on special occasions when he stays up a little later. I think he will also be okay at the shows, but we will sit in the back row closest to the door in case of anything. Did your daughter enjoy the music in the lounges before and after dinner? My son loves music and will probably like the music and lights in the shows. Also, what did you do after your daughter went to bed? Did you go to bed right away or stay up a little and maybe watch TV in the cabin? Do they show any good movies or shows on the cabin TV?

Sorry about all these questions. My cruise is less than 7 weeks away and it's the first one with the baby. We did go to Niagara Falls for 4 days though, in April. So we have been away with him, and the cruise will be easier because everything is right there on the ship. No worrying where to eat, getting to entertainment, etc.

Thanks again,

Bonnie

Just a question about getting back to the ship in Nassau as we also plan on going to Cable Beach. What time do we need to head back by and was it easy to hail a cab from the Wyndham or thinking may take a cab there and then the jitney back?

I think you had to be back on by 2pm. There was a taxi stand at the Wyndham. We only waited about 2 minutes for a cab. There was some traffic getting back, but we left plenty of time. We planned to walk around the straw market but then it started pouring, so we didnt. I would leave a little extra time because it is a one lane road going back, and you have to navigate through the shopping area to get back to ship. Taxi back was $15 plus tip. I think the jitney may take longer because of making stops. WE did see the bus that is referred to on these boards, but opted to take a taxi.

Looking forward to any other details of your cruise as this will be our first with my married children and my grandson (14 mos. in July). Glad to know about bringing portable crib sheets and the kids club time for under 2. Seems like you had a nice time.

It's fun to read reviews of the Spirit, and I agree with your statement that it's very easy to find your way around. I think it's a beautiful ship! Glad you had a good time and things went well with the baby.

Hikini:D

Melinda, thank you for your thorough review! We are going on the Spirit 8-night itinerary with our son, who will be 18 months old when we sail. We sail July 22nd.

Question...did you bring a carseat? I ordered a "Tote 'n' Go" but it is supposed to ship out to me on june 30th so I am waiting for it. It's a smaller travel carseat that is designed so that you can pack it in a large diaper bag. It weighs 4 pounds. Basically it is a carseat without the sides to it, and it is not raised up. I asked my son's pediatrician about it and he said that it is fine to use on the islands in cabs and stuff like that.

The playtime hours at the childcare center sound wonderful. We will definitely be going to that with our son. He will love running around there. Did you use the outdoor play area? I heard that is nice too, and they allow toddlers under 2 to play their with their parent's supervision. Something else we will be taking advantage of on our cruise.

I am also glad they have an extensive kids' menu. There are a lot of different things my son eats, and from what I have read on these boards, they have them all on the kids' menu (macaroni and cheese, hamburgers, grilled cheese, pizza, pasta, etc.). The only snack I plan on bringing is the Gerber Graduates fruit puffs, because my son does get a little antsy after he finishes a meal, and whenever we go to restaurants we give him those after his meal if he acts fussy. I prefer these over little pieces of bread because they have very few calories, so my son won't end up being overweight from overeating after a meal. They're only 25 calories for half a cup and he eats maybe a quarter of a cup after a meal. It keeps him occupied and calm. They also have vitamins in them so I like that too. I plan to bring 2 containers of these for an 8-night cruise, in 2 different flavors.

How did you wash your daughter's bottles? We will be bringing sippy-cups for our son. We will have to wash them in the cabin so I was going to bring a sponge and a travel-size dishwashing liquid. I figured after he goes to bed we can wash them out.

How early/late did you put your daughter to bed? My son does well on special occasions when he stays up a little later. I think he will also be okay at the shows, but we will sit in the back row closest to the door in case of anything. Did your daughter enjoy the music in the lounges before and after dinner? My son loves music and will probably like the music and lights in the shows. Also, what did you do after your daughter went to bed? Did you go to bed right away or stay up a little and maybe watch TV in the cabin? Do they show any good movies or shows on the cabin TV?

Sorry about all these questions. My cruise is less than 7 weeks away and it's the first one with the baby. We did go to Niagara Falls for 4 days though, in April. So we have been away with him, and the cruise will be easier because everything is right there on the ship. No worrying where to eat, getting to entertainment, etc.

Thanks again,

Bonnie

We'll also be on the 7-22 cruise with my grandson (14 mos.). I'm sure my d-i-l & son or other members of my family will run into you during the week.

Tinker, right in front of wyndham you can stand and the jitney comes rather quickly. there are SO many of them. Ours only stopped once on the way back. It's easier to catch a jitney in Nassau than a taxi in NYC.

Thanks again,

Bonnie

We did not bring a car seat. We are from NJ and got dropped off at pier. I think those things are great if you are also going to be flying. We brought our regular stroller. We ran into some others that were told that they can only bring an umbrella stroller. That was not the case at all.

When we rented a car, we rented from Budget because they guaranteed a car seat. The other company I called wouldnt guarantee it, it was first come first serve. THe car seat was an Evenflo, was clean, came with instructions. It took my husband about 10 minutes to install, and everything was fine.

In Nassau, the taxis were vans, so I dont know how a car seat would work. We just held her in our lap for the ride, but kept the rides to a minimum.

We did not use the outdoor play area. It looked nice, better for a walker than a crawler. You could see it from the Child Care Center. I think it was covered in shade too, so that was nice.

I brought a small container of liquid dish soap, and a bottle brush. That worked out fine for us. I just washed them out and set them face down to dry.

My daughter loved the music in the Galaxy of the Stars. We mostly went there for a drink after dinner. We never went to the shows, except for the passenger talent show. The way the theater is, is that you actually have to sit in the front row to be by the exit. I am sure it will be fine for the musical shows. We actually sat in the front row, but my daughter got pretty chatty so I took her outside. (i could still hear the show from outside)

My daughter wound up going to sleep around 9:30 or so, which is later than at home! But she sleep no problem through the night and woke up later and later as the week went on, which was nice for us. To tell you the truth, we fell alseep shortly after she did most nights. (definately a different vacation than before children!!!)

On one night she actually napped in her stroller during dinner, so my husband and I felt like we were on a date.

They do have two movie channels, we watched "Catch Me if you can" which I have already seen. Seemed like a decent selection.

Another thing I highly recommend: we brought an inflatable tub. It is made by Munchkin and the shape of a duck. we used it for a bathtub in the room. (we filled it up and put it in the bathroom to bathe my daughter)and then we brought it with us on the private island and used it in the ocean. It was my daughters first time in the water and she LOVED it!!!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you so much!! I was thinking of buying an inflatable tub, but when we went to Niagara Falls in April, we bathed our son in the shower and he was just fine. I am sure it will be fine on the ship, judging by other ships I have been on. I have heard the showers on the Spirit are bigger than most other cruise ships so it should be fine. We don't have to fly to the pier, we live in Brooklyn and are parking the car where my dad works for the week. We are bringing an umbrella stroller with us, as it should store easily under the bed in the cabin.

Sailorsixx, it would be nice to meet another couple with a baby in my son's age group on the cruise. We have a roll call going for the Norwegian Spirit on July 22nd. You should check it out...it's on the roll call message boards here on CC. There's a nice group of people and there is going to be a get-together on the second day of the cruise, but you need to join in order to go to it. Hope to see you there!

thanks for a great review...is there anything for a 6 and 12 year old to do in "Disney Downtown"? You mentioned all the kiddie rides, etc.. We decided not to to the Disney side trip, now thinking of just going to Cocoa Beach for afternoon. Just wondered. We leave on the 6/18 sailing. :) thanks for your help. TD

Where in Nassau is Cable Beach? We took a water taxi to Paridise Island last time and went to the "free beach" on the other side of what I believe was Atlantis or maybe The Sheraton. It was a beautiful beach but we were bombarded with locals bantering us to rent their wave runners. It was difficult to enjoy the ocean with our small children because of this. Did you have that issue at Cable Beach? Was the ocean calm? We were hoping to do something different when we sail in July.

bangzoom6877

I would recommend going up a deck to the balcony in the theater. The one evening we took kids to a show we sat up there near the entrance and one of us could step out if we needed to without disturbing anyone beside or behind us (the chairs are set up more like a lounge instead of theater style). It also wasn't very crowded and they never shut the doors while we were there. This made it easier to step out if you needed to.

By the way, our three year old grandson loved the show and our nine month old granddaughter was mesmerized by the lights and music.

Jan

Hi

Great post - given me a lot of useful information as we will be travelling with my 14 month old neice in December.

Are babies allowed in the pools, as my neice has been swimming since birth and loves the water?

Thanks

babies are not allowed in the pools. Only children that are completely potty trained are allowed. They do not allow kids in with swim diapers. We are only bringing swim diapers for purposes of going to the beach. There are always those who do not follow the rules of NCL but I am going to adhere strictly to them because if I had an older child in the pool and saw someone else letting their baby in swim diapers in there I would not be happy. Again, you can still bring them for the beach.

Jan:

Thanks for the tips about the show! We had planned to sit as far back as possible, as close to the exit doors as we can just in case. My son gets mesmerized by music and lights also, so I think he will be fine at the show. Plus, there is an early show on the Spirit, around 7:30 or so. We plan to go to dinner at 5:30 each night anyway, so the early show will be convenient for us. After the show maybe we can put the baby into his pajamas and go to a lounge or something. He just might sleep in his stroller and then all we have to do is put him in the crib in the cabin. We'll play it by ear!

thanks for a great review...is there anything for a 6 and 12 year old to do in "Disney Downtown"? You mentioned all the kiddie rides, etc.. We decided not to to the Disney side trip, now thinking of just going to Cocoa Beach for afternoon. Just wondered. We leave on the 6/18 sailing. :) thanks for your help. TD

Although Downtown Disney was a great option for us, I think a 6 year old and 12 year old will be bored. There were 2 kiddie rides, perfect for a baby, but not really for older kids. It is mostly walking around, shopping, restaurants, etc. I think if you tell the kids you are going to "disney" they might be disappointed with Downtown Disney.

There is one "theme" park in Downtown Disney. I dont remember the name, I think it is like games and such. But there is admission to get into it, so you might just be better off going to Magic Kingdom or one of the other parks if you are going to spend the $ on admission!

Where in Nassau is Cable Beach? We took a water taxi to Paridise Island last time and went to the "free beach" on the other side of what I believe was Atlantis or maybe The Sheraton. It was a beautiful beach but we were bombarded with locals bantering us to rent their wave runners. It was difficult to enjoy the ocean with our small children because of this. Did you have that issue at Cable Beach? Was the ocean calm? We were hoping to do something different when we sail in July.

If I remember correctly, it is west of where the ship docks. I wasnt bombarded by anyone, but we got chairs at the pool, not at the beach. But the beach area right by us was very mellow. There was one little area with woman selling stuff and braiding hair, but not one person approached me while I was there. Ocean was very calm when we were there.

Hi

Great post - given me a lot of useful information as we will be travelling with my 14 month old neice in December.

Are babies allowed in the pools, as my neice has been swimming since birth and loves the water?

Thanks

As previously stated, no babies allowed in pool. I didnt see anyone abusing this. We only brought my daughter in the water at the ocean in the private island. She loved it!

So happy to hear that you had a great time with a little one. My DH and DD and SIL will be going on the Spirit in November. The children will be 4 and 15 months. The 4 year old is already so excited. We are hoping that the baby will be happy to . My daughter is going to bring a little blow up pool 48" to put out by the pool when the older child is in . Hope they will let her have a little water for the baby to spash around in. Did you feel safe holding the baby in the vans. We don't know whether or not to get the small car seat. Thanks for a great review.

Thank you so much!! I was thinking of buying an inflatable tub, but when we went to Niagara Falls in April, we bathed our son in the shower and he was just fine. I am sure it will be fine on the ship, judging by other ships I have been on. I have heard the showers on the Spirit are bigger than most other cruise ships so it should be fine. We don't have to fly to the pier, we live in Brooklyn and are parking the car where my dad works for the week. We are bringing an umbrella stroller with us, as it should store easily under the bed in the cabin.

Sailorsixx, it would be nice to meet another couple with a baby in my son's age group on the cruise. We have a roll call going for the Norwegian Spirit on July 22nd. You should check it out...it's on the roll call message boards here on CC. There's a nice group of people and there is going to be a get-together on the second day of the cruise, but you need to join in order to go to it. Hope to see you there!

Am on the roll call. Is the get together posted in the daily?

Am on the roll call. Is the get together posted in the daily?

I don't believe the get-together is posted in the daily since it is considered a private party. On our roll call, there is one person who is arranging everything with NCL. He requested that people post their first name, and the first names of the people in their cabin who will also be attending the roll call. So come on in, join us, and hopefully we will all get to meet you on our upcoming cruise!!! Which by the way is only in 6 weeks from Saturday! :)

Hope to see you there!!

My husband and I were on the Feb 26 sailing of the Spirit with our two sons ages 3yrs & 21months. I bought two Tote-n-go car seats. We took a town car from a friend's house an hour out of NYC to the pier. They worked well for that ride; however, on the islands the boys sat beside me in the back seat of the cab/minivan. (most of the cabs there seemed to only have seatbelts for the driver.) I posted a review soon after we returned. I'll find the link and post it for you.

Hi Melinda- quick question:

When we sailed on the Dawn last year, our balcony room had the little dispenser in the shower for soap and shampoo. Do they have those on the Dawn? Are the products decent? Just trying to decide what toiletries to pack. Also, was it difficult without a bathrub for your daughter? Our DD is 4 and has never has a shower! Thanks, TrexDE = )

Archived