May 23 Eastbound crossing

mrsail

My wife and I returned from London Friday. The May 23 crossing was the smoothest ship voyage I have ever taken. The seas were 2-3 for most of the trip unlike the week before Westbound which was reported to be very rough. Some fog on day 4 and rain on day 5. Outside deck on most days was too windy to spend much time there. Temperatures were generally in the mid 50's.All in all the trip was great, the meals were very good in the Brittania, service was elegant for dinner, but only accepable for breakfast and lunch (had to ask repeatadly for water and coffee) We changed our table after the first night to the second floor since there was an annoying vibration on the first floor. No vibration on the upper level but the temperature seemed to get uncomfortably warm at times. 3 formal nights, 1 informal (Jacket and tie) and two casual. We ate at Todd English for the informal night and the meal and service were perfect. I made the reservation before boarding at the terminal which was very convenient. I have to agree with previous postings that the buffet on deck 7 is not worth the trouble to eat there. The setup is cumbersome and the traffic flow is cramped. It was good for a quick snack on a day we missed lunch in Brittania when it was less crowded. The planetarium shows were interesting but you need to pick up complimentary tickets before about 10:30 at the Illusions desk since they go quickly.There are 4 shows daily, 1:00, 1:30, 2:00 and 2:30. The Oxford lectures I attended were very "academic" and somewhat dull, (The Ansel Adams lecture instead of discussing his incredible photographs, centered on his Theocratic leanings! Daytime shows were very good as was the nightime entertainment featuring a wonderful troupe of singers and dancers. There was also a talanted pianist one night and a combination acrobatic and magic act. The pace and atmosphere of this voyage was much more peaceful that a carribean cruise and very enjoyable. As mentioned before, the time adjustment ahead every night on Eastbound crossings really catches up to you by the end of the week. I felt quite tired on arrival.

Archived