Eastern Caribbean excursions

star65

I have never cruised before and was wondering about how the Excursions work. Thinking of taking an excursion in San Juan, would really prefer to just see the castle and do some shopping, same with St. Thomas, shop and hit a beach. What is the safest way to do this, pay for an excursion or do it yourself, and also how can I do it myself?? Do you just hop in a cab and hope they are takingyou where you want to go?? Thanks so much for your help.

In St. Thomas I would recommend making a reservation with Godfrey Tours http://www.godfreytoursvi.com

For $20 per person he will pick you up right as you come off the ship and bring you over to the downtown shopping area for a few hours. At noon you will hop back on the open air van for a 2.5 hour tour of the island with plenty of commentary and humor along the way, seeing all af the main points of interest and lots of photo opportunities. The last stop is Coki Beach, where you can stay for an hour or two to swim or you can head straight back to the ship. If you stay to swim, he will come back to pick you up at the agreed upon time. At about half what the same tour will cost if booked on board, it is well worth it.

In San Juan, you could actually walk to the fort, and back along the wall to downtown with plenty of time to have something to eat before returning to the ship.

Enjoy,

Vin

http://community.webshots.com/user/vinp194

I've read many good things about Godfrey's tour in St. Thomas. What we did when we were there was take a cab into "town" (there are many cabs easily available at the pier) and shopped on our own for awhile. When we first got into town, we were approached by a tour guide. He told us if we were interrested to meet back by his open air safari like vehicle at a particular time and he would give us a tour and take us to the beach of our choice and then back to the ship. We opted to do this and were VERY pleased. Just as with Godfrey, there were many stops along the tour for photos. We spent about 2 1/2 hours at Magen's Bay, but got to also see Coki and Sapphire. Snorkeling is supposed to be the best at Coki, however I would never call Coki a beautiful beach. Sapphire was beautiful (it's where I would go if I went back), but we did love Magen's. It was georgeous. Water was very calm. Our tour guide was Bernard and he was wonderful. There are many tour guides that will meet you in town where the taxis drop you off. You can just go to the beach also if that what you want. St. Thomas is a place where you can definitely do it on your own without a ship excursion plus you'll save money.

Thanks so mcuh for the replies.

I am going to look into Godfrey tours, it sounds good but is Coki the only beach they will take you to? We really aren;t into snorkeling and we really wanted to see Megan's bay.

So in San Juan we can actually walk to the fort and shopping? Wow, I thought for sure we would have to atleast take a cab and that makes me alittle nervous. Thanks so much!

Thanks so mcuh for the replies.

I am going to look into Godfrey tours, it sounds good but is Coki the only beach they will take you to? We really aren;t into snorkeling and we really wanted to see Megan's bay.

Godfrey takes people to any of three beaches - Sapphire, Coki or Magen's

He ask's where you want to go and he will take you there.

Glad to hear that Godfrey tours will take you to Megan's bay, the price sounds great and they have good reviews so I think we should go with them. Thanks. Now, what about Tortola, about good tours you would recommend, or can we do the same and get a taxi to the beach and shopping?

You might try out the Ports of Call Message Board here on the Cruise Critic for each destination. Old Town San Juan is just a hop, skip, and a jump from the Cruise Terminal, so you won't have to take a cab. It was raining when we arrived, so we did opt for the taxi to drop us off for sightseeing, shopping, and a bite to eat.

Archived