Cruise Director

Love Cruises

We were on the Statendam cruise from Osaka to Vancouver in May of this year. Doug Dunnell came onboard as the Cruise Director in Osaka (formerly on the Masdam). He is a great cruise director and even does his own trivia games the days at sea. We had a lot of fun with him. He seems to treat his assistant cruise staff very well. The whole group made our cruise "that much more fun"!icon7.gificon7.gificon7.gif

We were on the Statendam cruise from Osaka to Vancouver in May of this year. Doug Dunnell came onboard as the Cruise Director in Osaka (formerly on the Masdam). He is a great cruise director and even does his own trivia games the days at sea. We had a lot of fun with him. He seems to treat his assistant cruise staff very well. The whole group made our cruise "that much more fun"!icon7.gificon7.gificon7.gif

I hate to say it but many of us called Doug Dunnell the 'Invisible Cruise Director', and I believe that this included 'Capt. P. J.'.

Many cruise directors tend to be a pain, on TV, first thing in the morning, BUT at least they get the job done, telling us what is to take place, and introducing those who's job it is to entertain and instruct us all throughout the day.

In my opinion Doug failed, it is his job in my opinion to bring staff, cruisers, and events together, so that everyone knew what was going on. He did not do it! I have seen other C.D.s step in during a cruise without missing a beat, but not this one. True he ran the games, but, in my opinion that is not a CD's prime job. He has to inform us how to enjoy our days at sea, I'm sorry I don't believe that he did it! john

Hi folks,

Well we are going to be on the Statendam b2b Vancouver to Seward and back on August 11. We sailed with Doud Dunnell as our CD on the Maasdam over Christmas. And we thought he was outstanding!

Doug is Montana born and bred, which gives him a pretty good head start in our book. How many CD's are from Glasgow Montana anyway? Well, where is Glasgow Montana? you may ask. It is on the Missouri River in the northeastern part of the state, about twenty mile off the Canadian border. We are driving out there next week for a family reunion.

When we met him on the Maasdam, we were charmed by his magnificent stage presence and thrilled by his beautiful tenor voice. Doug is an excellent host and entertainer too. I've spent most of my life in management and later as a mid level executive, and it sure appeared to me that Doug did an excellent job of coordinated activities and keeping the passengers informed. After that, our first experience on HAL, we booked three more cruises. So, if I was the one making the human resouces calls, Doug Dunnel is a guy I want on my team.

My DH and I were on the "beautiful and elegant" Maasdam over Christmas and Doug Dunnell was the CD. He was everywhere! He was on the TV doing the morning infomercial, he conducted the art tour of the ship, he made the daily activity announcements onver the PA, he introduced the acts each night and after the shows he would announce all of the things still to do and what was happening the next morning. He even led some of the trivia contests. Doug could be found all over the ship day and night. He was always personable and informative, willing to stop and talk. We thught he was one of the best CDs we have incountered. There is one on another cruiseline that reminded me of a used car salesman (with apologies to all used car salesmen!:D ) Anyway, that was our experience.

Archived