Has anyone cruised to Burmuda on their own?

Hey Everyone

I've got a cabin on hold for the Norwegian Crown over the labor day week but I'd be on my own. I've got the impression that Burmuda cruises are all couples keeping to themselves all wrapped up in the romantic idea of a cruise plus Bermuda rolled into one. Has anyone else done a Burmuda cruise on their own?

This will be my 14th cruise, all on my own (how did that happen) and my last cruise was on the Sun so I know how the whole freestyle thing will work on my own.

Last year we were on the Crown's cruise AFTER the Labor Day cruise, and the kids' club counselors told us there were something like 250 children on board the week before. Not exactly the Love Boat ;)

Is there a roll call for your cruise? The comraderie of a good CC group can make all the difference, as all the new friends from the recent Spirit Swizzler group can attest!

My very first cruise was a solo cruise to Bermuda. It is the perfect place to go by yourself because it is friendly, smallish, clean and mostly safe. What I especially like is that you can rent a scooter and scoot from beach to beach as the mood strikes you. You can also go to less crowded beaches that way. Nothing better than scooting around the island at twilight on your scooter with the breeze and the tree frogs singing. It is a near religious experience. Some advice: bring a folding chair in a bag - supermarket kind - and a nice book and some sodas or water, stash them on your scooter and away you go. If you are looking for something "to do", you can also make it a photography tour. Perfect things to do on your own for the few days that you are there. I fully expect to go back myself at some point for all these reasons. It is nice to have company (and I am going with a friend this summer ), but it is also nice to have freedom to enjoy the island.

Regarding the line, in my opinion, NCL is the best way to go if you are solo, because of the freestyle dining. I have taken 13 cruises, two solo, and the last solo was using NCL on the Dawn. From my experience, it is not all that fun being at a table with a group you don't know, especially if you are introverted. I loved freestyle last time, it really made the whole experience like being at a resort. I will only travel solo if the dining is freestyle.

Have a great time!!!

Hi, I returned on June 11 from the Majesty to Bermuda. The ship was 99.5% couples, even if they were single people traveling together.

Single men traveling alone tended to be in their 60s and up and retired.

On previous NCL cruises, they had a singles get-together on the first night out so you could locate the other singles, but not on this cruise. All they did was have you sign up for a singles dinner on Tuesday (we sailed on Sunday, so that's 2 days into the cruise). Sign-up was from 5-6, right after sailing. I missed it, and so missed that dinner.

I spoke to the concierge about the lack of single mingling opportunities on board and she was surprised. So that tells you something.

I also encountered a bit of confusion in both dining rooms. They'd always ask how many in my party. When I said, "one," they'd try to seat me alone. So you need to say, "I'm one, but I want to share a table."

That said, Bermuda as a destination couldn't be any safer for a woman traveling alone. I went all over the island on the bus and ferries and wandered around alone and never felt the least bit threatened. Besides, the place will be swarming with your fellow passengers.

I will disagree with one poster about renting a scooter. Our captain came over the PA and practically begged us not to do it because he said people always get hurt, and one passenger got killed. The roads are twisty, narrow, and they drive on the other side. So if you're not used to that, you're better off with public transport, which is excellent.

I just came back from the Majesty to Bermuda and I was alone. It was wonderful. I had my cabin all to myself. I ate dinner every night with different people and met a lot of nice people who I would see every day on the ship or in port. I have been to Bermuda three times previous and know the island well so I had no problem going around on my own. The buses routes are very easy to understand and people in Bermuda are very friendly.

I have just returned from a Burmuda cruise on the Crown as a solo and I would not repeat the trip if they were giving it away. Between the vast number of passengers who stated right up front to the hostess that they did not wish to share a table to the folks that once seated at the table actually pretended that I was not there to the hostess bless her little heart who tried but was basically clueless as to how to make up a sharing table. A table for two people with two solos is not in my opinion a sharing tabel. Never had a sharing table that was for more than six people. All of the eights and tens were taken up by groups that were traveling together. All in all Bermuda was wonderful but the cruise was not a happy occassion as to meeting passengers. Maybe it is the Philadelphia crowd, I do not know but if you can do the Majesty you will have a much better time of it. Being slightley bigger with two freestyle restaurants vs one chances for a sharing table are better. On my two cruises on the Majesty I have had nothing but excellent experiences with sailing solo so I know it is not me that is the problem. Also the Crown out of UNC may be a totally different experience but the Phila crowd was a huge dissapointment.

Must have been that crowd because I met a lot of nice people. Every time I went to the restaurant, the hostess asked me if I wanted to share a table and I said I did and she sat me with six other people, all whom were extremely polite and friendly. There was always a good conversation going on and I met some people that lived near me, which was nice. I was nervous about eating with other people at first and had planned to eat alone but after one day of eating alone and sort of feeling awkward, I opted to share and that was the best thing.

I never traveled alone, but I found the Majesty to be excellent and very comfortable with seating strangers.

We sat with singles, couples and groups every night and several breakfasts and lunches and have only great memories.

I wish the ships out of NY would do that.

Sitting with (the same) strangers is the one thing I miss about doing freestyle cruising.

I agree with e.durban...We just got back from the Spirit (Beach Bums) and we met lots of wonderful people from our roll call. Check your roll call out and see if they are having a meet and greet and if not you can try to set one up. We had ours in Henry's Pub and it was a lot of fun. Have a great cruise. I'm ready to plan another one.

Yes - people should definitely exercise caution when riding scooters. I wear long pants (zip off shorts kind) and long sleeves and close-toes shoes when I ride in Bermuda. I learned this the hard way and I don't ride too fast. That said, it is definitely a blast. I look forward to it every time.

Archived