Panama Canal voyage

Sued

My husband and I will be taking the Panama Canal (LA to Miami) trip in late Setp/Oct. Much to my man's dismay, I really want to try the tree canopy excursion. It seems it if offered at a number of the ports. Does anyone have insight as to the best or a personal favorite they would recommend? Thanks.

Do you mean the zip-line tour where you are in harnesses and ride from tree top to tree top, or the aerial car where you ride above the forest? My husband, brother-in-law and myself did the zip-line tour and it was GREAT!!! We dressed in little leather belt outfits and were given a sueded leather glove for our right hand to use as our "brake." After walking and climbing stairs to the top platform, one of our guides snapped himself onto the first cable and rode down to the platform below. He was available to "catch us" as we allowed gravity to take us from one platform to another. There was slack in the line so at the end of each segment, towards the lower platform, you head "up" and naturally slow down. You do not want to use your brakes too much (hold on too tightly) because you will stop before the platform and have to pull yourself to the next stage. You do want to use your brakes some to stay in control. It is not as difficult to do as it is to explain. When I was standing on the first platform I remember thinking, "I am going to do this because I am too embarassed to not go through with this, but I'm not going to enjoy it." Truth is, I LOVED IT! The fear went away and the exhileration remained. I would do this again in a heartbeat. FYI, noone from our Silversea group turned back (though they have guides who will go back with you in an alternate manner if there are issues.) A woman in her seventies who had knee surgery actually completed this tour - which surprises me - but shows that if you can climb a few stairs and are fairly brave that's all you need. My sister, mother, brother and sister-in-law did the aerial tram. They said they liked it, but they weren't nearly as effusive as the three of us who did the zip-lines were.

• 1 month later...
For the zip-line experience...could you tell me which port/excursion you took/recommend? It seems many ports offer them. Thanks

The excursion was from Costa Rica, forgive me, I don't remember the port! I only recall that it wasn't the most popular side of Costa Rica, where many Americans retire. It was a small town, and we ended up at the last minute at a container port. I do recall that there are many zip-line providers in Costa Rica, and that we were on a bus for about an hour to get to the one in our excursion. I doubt that it matters which zip-line provider you go to. I'm sure Silversea has vetted everything they offer as an excursion. If I were you, I'd choose the zip-line excursion in the port where you aren't torn between choosing it and another excursion.

• 2 months later...

Hi Sued,

I just read your post and we are going on the same cruise! We just booked yesterday. I've been researching info re: ziplining (I did this in Thailand-it was GREAT). My husband doubts that he will attempt it. He says he will be happy to watch! I'm waiting to hear back from 2 tour operators in Puerto Limon where I'm beginning to believe is the best side of Costa Rica to try this. Let me know if you've decided on anything!

Hi Sued,

I just read your post and we are going on the same cruise! We just booked yesterday. I've been researching info re: ziplining (I did this in Thailand-it was GREAT). My husband doubts that he will attempt it. He says he will be happy to watch! I'm waiting to hear back from 2 tour operators in Puerto Limon where I'm beginning to believe is the best side of Costa Rica to try this. Let me know if you've decided on anything!

Archived