TWO passengers leave Pacific Sun in Brisbane

Skyrules

From The Courier Mail Breaking news this evening (my highlighting in red)

A DREAM holiday became a nightmare for some passengers on a luxury cruise liner after a highly contagious virus swept through the vessel.

P&O Cruises' Australian flagship, the Pacific Sun, left Sydney on May 30 for a 10-day cruise up the Queensland coast to Port Douglas and Willis Island in the Coral Sea before returning via Brisbane.

But P&O confirmed today that shortly after leaving Sydney some of its 1650 passengers started falling ill, suffering from vomiting and diarrhoea.

It is understood the virus was spread by a person who boarded in Sydney and more than 60 passengers have been confirmed as having been stricken by the highly contagious Norovirus.

But those interviewed today by the Seven Network after disembarking in Brisbane said the figure could be in the hundreds.

Passengers said they were quarantined as the Pacific Sun crew tried to stop the spread of the virus.

"It put a bit of a downer on to it," passenger Louise Neale told Seven.

Two passengers stayed in Brisbane, refusing to continue the trip to Sydney because of the presence of the virus.

A P&O spokesman said Norovirus was highly contagious and easily transmitted from person-to-person, especially if meticulous attention is not paid to personal hygiene. "P&O Cruises is collaborating with the Queensland and New South Wales Public Health departments and has initiated an extensive sanitation program onboard to interrupt the spread of the virus," he said.

The spokesman said at the onset of the increased incidence of gastrointestinal illness, sanitation efforts onboard Pacific Sun were immediately intensified to minimise transmission. "A comprehensive ongoing disinfection protocol developed in conjunction with several international public health authorities has been implemented," he said.

"As a result, we have seen a decline in the number of passengers who have reported with symptoms of the virus.

"Passengers who have been unwell have been treated at no cost and have been asked to comply with the ship's doctor's instructions. "This includes a brief isolation in their cabin until they are non-contagious."

I noticed that hardly anyone used the sanitation spray that is on the wall just before the hot food buffet area. This obviously helps prevent some germs from spreading. Maybe they will place more of these around the ship.

I noticed that hardly anyone used the sanitation spray that is on the wall just before the hot food buffet area. This obviously helps prevent some germs from spreading. Maybe they will place more of these around the ship.

On our first cruise crew were at the beginning of every line and in the entry to the restaurant making sure everyone used the sanitation spray.

On our last cruise I didnt see anyone using the spray.

Karen

On our last cruise I didnt see anyone using the spray.

Karen

Including yourself Karen!!!! Just kidding :p

I agree it was odd not seeing the handwashing spray on the way into the Restaurant. Maybe after this P&O will reconsider!!

I always made a point of making sure I washed my hands using the dispenser each time I got food. I think the funniest thing was watching people who obviously had no idea it was there back up under it and have it disperse an amount of cleaner right down their back!!

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Including yourself Karen!!!! Just kidding :p

I agree it was odd not seeing the handwashing spray on the way into the Restaurant. Maybe after this P&O will reconsider!!

I always made a point of making sure I washed my hands using the dispenser each time I got food. I think the funniest thing was watching people who obviously had no idea it was there back up under it and have it disperse an amount of cleaner right down their back!!

Cheers,

:p Yes Chaz, we used the spray:p

I saw people get spray down their back too and all the people that reach over to grab a plate and get spray down their arm. funny...

Karen

You would think after they have it spray on them they would at least be aware it was there and wash their hands... But oh no, they just laugh it off or get upset and go on their merry way. Some people would look at me oddly when they saw me using it, like washing my hands was a funny thing to do!! The problem is of course that really it only works when everyone does it. I always feel I should wash my hands after I have handled all the serving implements and not before....

It's disgusting how many people don't wash their hands or even cover their mouths anymore. How many times have you seen someone in a public toilet leave a cubicle and walk straight out the door without washing their hands!!

Cheers,

To be fair to the 'sick' person who boarded in Sydney, people can be infected with the virus and not show any symptoms at all , or just as easily be struck down very quickly as I would imagine most of the people affected on the cruise were.

The following is an excerpt from http://www.medicinenet.com

How important is the burden of norovirus infection?

It is estimated that 23 million cases of acute gastroenteritis a year are due to norovirus infection. And it is now thought that at least 50% of all foodborne outbreaks of gastroenteritis can be attributed to noroviruses.

Among the 232 outbreaks of norovirus illness reported over a 3-year period in the US, 57% were foodborne, 16% were due to person-to-person spread, and 3% were waterborne; and in 23% of outbreaks, the cause of transmission was not determined. Common settings for outbreaks included restaurants and catered meals (36%), nursing homes (23%), schools (13%), and vacation settings or cruise ships (10%).

Most foodborne outbreaks of norovirus illness are likely to arise though direct contamination of food by a food handler immediately before its consumption. Outbreaks have frequently been associated with consumption of cold foods, including various salads, sandwiches, and bakery products. Liquid items (e.g., salad dressing or cake icing) that allow virus to mix evenly are often implicated as a cause of outbreaks.

Food can also be contaminated at its source, and oysters from contaminated waters have been associated with widespread outbreaks of gastroenteritis. Other foods, including raspberries and salads, have been contaminated before widespread distribution and subsequently caused extensive outbreaks.

Waterborne outbreaks of norovirus disease in community settings have often been caused by sewage contamination of wells and recreational water.

Looking at those statistics, cruise ships are pretty safe really. If it's food borne, all the handwashing in the world will not stop you from getting sick.

(But I still highly recommend handwashing!;) )

Cheers

To be fair to the 'sick' person who boarded in Sydney, people can be infected with the virus and not show any symptoms at all , or just as easily be struck down very quickly as I would imagine most of the people affected on the cruise were.

The following is an excerpt from www.medicinenet.com

How important is the burden of norovirus infection?

It is estimated that 23 million cases of acute gastroenteritis a year are due to norovirus infection. And it is now thought that at least 50% of all foodborne outbreaks of gastroenteritis can be attributed to noroviruses.

Among the 232 outbreaks of norovirus illness reported over a 3-year period in the US, 57% were foodborne, 16% were due to person-to-person spread, and 3% were waterborne; and in 23% of outbreaks, the cause of transmission was not determined. Common settings for outbreaks included restaurants and catered meals (36%), nursing homes (23%), schools (13%), and vacation settings or cruise ships (10%).

Most foodborne outbreaks of norovirus illness are likely to arise though direct contamination of food by a food handler immediately before its consumption. Outbreaks have frequently been associated with consumption of cold foods, including various salads, sandwiches, and bakery products. Liquid items (e.g., salad dressing or cake icing) that allow virus to mix evenly are often implicated as a cause of outbreaks.

Food can also be contaminated at its source, and oysters from contaminated waters have been associated with widespread outbreaks of gastroenteritis. Other foods, including raspberries and salads, have been contaminated before widespread distribution and subsequently caused extensive outbreaks.

Waterborne outbreaks of norovirus disease in community settings have often been caused by sewage contamination of wells and recreational water.

Looking at those statistics, cruise ships are pretty safe really. If it's food borne, all the handwashing in the world will not stop you from getting sick.

(But I still highly recommend handwashing!;) )

Cheers

Maybe, but cruise ships tend to have a quicker rate of spread of the disease because of the confined space, airconditioning and "relaxed" attitude of people on holiday, and transmission on a cruise ship is generally person-to-person rather than through the food or water supplies. This is why handwashing is important in preventing the spread of the virus, because even if the out break starts from contaminated food, it soon gets spread peroson to person in a confined space as people who contract it from the food, don't wash their hands and then shake hands with other people, touch door handles, food serving utensils, etc, etc. That is why passengers with norovirus are confined to their cabins - to contain the spread.

While we were waiting for our colour to come up to disembark we sat in the buffet area,the staff member was wiping the tables and chairs as people left and stacked them on the table ready I suppose to wash the floor after we had all gone.Well I must of seen her wipe 6 or so tables and chairs with the same chux and not one dip did it get. I did think it was a lax way to clean up.Or maybe she was just trying to look busy till we all left

Past It,

i think he was just trying to look busy. thats what many of the staff were doing when i was waiting to disembark. sweeping the same place every five mins etc.

on a side note, i had heard recently that there had been an outbreak of that virus in Sydney in the last week or so (can anyone confirm that from down south?).

take care cruisers,

sam.

Most foodborne outbreaks of norovirus illness are likely to arise though direct contamination of food by a food handler immediately before its consumption.

Yes, but the "food handler" could be the passenger before you helping themselves to the buffet!! How many times have you seen the spoon fall into the dish or some kid come up and grab something without even using the tongs! I have even witnessed people actually drop the spoon on the floor, pick it up and put it back in the tray. Fortunately the kitchen guys saw it and removed the spoon and tray very quickly.

For everyone travelling the latest news reports should show that hygiene is everyone's own personal responsibility - i.e. wash your hands often especially after going to the bathroom, cover your mouth when you cough, tissues are made to throw away not store up in your handbag... - but not doing it can make others sick!!! Please take the time to protect yourself and those around you.

Cheers,

on my last cruise - June 2004 - there were "stations" set up everywhere on board, I was honestly like you couldnt move twenty paces without coming accross that anticipetic alcohol cleaner... they made everyone who entered the restaurants use it prior to sitting down... they even had a staff member who "squirted" you...

this was however after the same sort of issue the Sky had just prior to June 2004.:)

I think I may have been on the same Sky cruise lunchcutter. It left May 29 or something like that? There were crew standing outsite the dining rooms and you couldn't go in unless they squirted your hands with the antiseptic. There wasn't a separate buffet dining area then. Everywhere you looked crew were wiping down things.

I don't think there was any sickness on our cruise, though, the cruises before were riddled with people being taken off on stretchers. It was a worrying time leading up!

I remember we left hours late after the previous cruise had rough weather, I don't think we got onboard till after 4.

Just over a week till N619, can't wait!

Actually come to think of it, I reckon we departed July 4th (or somewhere around that time).... I thought the vigilance shown regarding hygeine was excellent... (as a first time cruiser though, must be honest I thought this was regular practice)... i will be definitely be taking my own personal alcochol wipes/lotion. 12 days until sailaway! whooooo hoooooo:D

On PandO Arcadia a week ago staff also were at the entrance of the buffet restaurant, and when returning to ship t ports to insist you sprayed your hands on entering. Its no good just leaving it on the wall for people to walk past!

Sue

This caught my eye from the front page of the forums. Of course I'm not familiar with the cruise line.

I will say that I agree that people should cover their mouth when they cough - just not with their hand. A cough in the hand spreads the germs to everything they touch.

I also agree that I feel like I should sanitize my hands after touching the serving utensils at the buffet. That is why I always carry individually wrapped sanitizing towlettes in my purse on a cruise. I try to remember to open one up every time and use it just before I eat. I admit, sometimes I forget.

But I NEVER forget to wash my hands upon exit from the bathroom stall. :D

Archived