forum for kids

I thought I saw that there was a special forum for children on this website, but searching doesn't reveal anything. I have 4 grandkids that we are taking on the July 9 sailing of the NCL Jewel. they are computer savvy and a forum for them would be exciting for them I'm sure

There is not one here, but you can e-mail the staff and let them know about your, excellent, suggestion. The only concern I would have is creepy adults hanging out, but use common sense. No full names, no information on where you live and have a moderator that cracks down hard. I think it's more than doable.

There is not one here, but you can e-mail the staff and let them know about your, excellent, suggestion. The only concern I would have is creepy adults hanging out, but use common sense. No full names, no information on where you live and have a moderator that cracks down hard. I think it's more than doable.

When you do a Advance Search it states on there children's forum also (check here). So I was also looking for it.

Kim :D

Howdy Grandma Darlene!

I have seen on some Roll Calls where the teens/kids have started their own Roll Call for their cruise using "Teens" or "Kids" along with the ship and date in their title. Here is an "oldie but goody" example: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=191555

Per FAQ:

Why should I register?

In order to fully utilize the abilities of this forum, we require that you register as a member. Registration is free, and allows you to do the following:

• Post new threads
  • Reply to other peoples' threads
  • Edit your posts (20 minute limit)
  • Receive email notification of replies to posts and threads you specify
  • Set up a 'buddy-list' to quickly see which of your friends are currently on line

To register, you will need to specify a user name and password, and a valid email address. Entering your email address will not leave you open to 'spam', as all addresses are hidden in the system. We have configured the forum to send you the final part of the registration process by email, so ensure that the email address you provide is valid and working.

Cruise Critic does not actively seek the participation of those under the age of 13. We strive to provide a "family-friendly" environment on our forums.

Please note it appears most in the example above have posted under their parent's user name. They also did not follow the Community Guideline regarding "no bumps".

I hope this information will be satisfactory!

042202_1319_92_prv.gif Happy trails to you... 042202_1319_92_prv.gif

Kat 50.gif

I think that would be good too Grandma Darlene.

I was on another cruise messageboard where this teen girl posted looking for other teens who might possibly be on her upcoming cruise and used alot of the teen slang. You would not believe how that poor girl was "blasted" for her poor english and was accused of not knowing how to speak english. I could not beleive it.

I have been to alot of messeageboards and and have read many posts from kids and I know that is just how their "lingo" is -I am sure most know better how to talk. It is their way of comunicating with others their age and since this girl was looking for other teens I saw nothing wrong with her post. Granted if I were her mother I would not want her to talk to ME that way but it would not bother me if she was addressing others her age.

The poor girl never posted again. I just could not believe how mean those people had been to her.

. We strive to provide a "family-friendly" environment on our forums.

Host Kat:

This is only one mother's opinion, but I don't think it's a good idea to include a children's forum here. There's an awful lot of "adult" chit chat on the Cruise Critic boards. Right now, for instance, there's a thread on the Princess board about circumcision and cruise passengers. You can imagine where that goes...:eek: Also, even some of the roll calls themselves can degenerate into nasty exchanges between posters who don't like each other. I've seen it happen. I think the moderators here already have enough to do. Trying to keep these boards completely "family-friendly" will be an exhausting, ongoing task. Maybe a completely separate "spin-off" kids' board could be set up, if there was enough interest?

I understand the desire behind the request for a children's or young people's forum. I think it's a good idea, I just don't think it can be implemented here on Cruise Critic, which is essentially an adult board. As I stated before, that's just my two cents, FWIW:)

Host Kat:

This is only one mother's opinion, but I don't think it's a good idea to include a children's forum here. There's an awful lot of "adult" chit chat on the Cruise Critic boards. Right now, for instance, there's a thread on the Princess board about circumcision and cruise passengers. You can imagine where that goes...:eek: Also, even some of the roll calls themselves can degenerate into nasty exchanges between posters who don't like each other. I've seen it happen. I think the moderators here already have enough to do. Trying to keep these boards completely "family-friendly" will be an exhausting, ongoing task. Maybe a completely separate "spin-off" kids' board could be set up, if there was enough interest?

I understand the desire behind the request for a children's or young people's forum. I think it's a good idea, I just don't think it can be implemented here on Cruise Critic, which is essentially an adult board. As I stated before, that's just my two cents, FWIW:)

Well, you know I go to several tV show messageboards and there are alot of kids on these-and you won't believe some of the stuff these kids come up with-pure filth-plenty of those threads get pulled(those mods must have to work overtime) and the stupidity of some of those posts-one kid posted asking how to insert a tampon- of all things.

Anyway my point is these kids know more then you think-cruisecritic is tame next to that. If I had a child that was under 10 I would not even let him/her post on a messageboard or use the internet. Even with an older child I would monitor the messegeboards they go to.

Please note my previous post was for information only re an example of what had been done in the past and then followed up with the FAQ re "Cruise Critic does not actively seek the participation of those under the age of 13. We strive to provide a "family-friendly" environment on our forums." And for my other post thanking Kim, my Mama taught me to always return thanks when someone thanks you. I did not condone or condemn a forum or Roll Call for kids.

And now for more information for our members to help keep the Cruise Critic Message Boards "family-friendly":

To report a bad or offensive post, click on the triangle appearing on the post in the upper right corner. It will appear on all posts except your own. A screen will open up and you can send a message directly to all Hosts and Moderators. This is for Community Guidelines violations such as spam, advertising messages & problematic (harassment, fighting or rude) posts. After you have typed your message explaining your reason, be sure to click the Send Report button. Your message to the Hosts and Moderators will automatically show your user name & e-mail address, the title and link of the post as well as the title and link of the forum it is in.

To contact Cruise Critic via e-mail, click the Contact Us button in the yellow bar below for instructions. Please remember to include your user name. Here is a list for various areas:

Celebrity Connections Registration Questions: community@cruisecritic.com

Cruise Critic Member Cruises - groups@cruisecritic.com

Community Guideline Issues: community@cruisecritic.com

E-letter Subscriptions: GO TO: Cruise Critic Newsletters

E-mail Issues: boards@cruisecritic.com

Harassment, Flaming, Stalking issues: community@cruisecritic.com

Meet & Mingle Questions: community@cruisecritic.com

Member Review Submission: GO TO: Member Reviews

Post Removal Inquiries: community@cruisecritic.com

Print Newsletter: GO TO: Cruise Critic Newsletters

Problem With Moderators: community@cruisecritic.com

Registration Assistance: boards@cruisecritic.com

ROLL CALL assistance: community@cruisecritic.com

Royal Caribbean Meet & Mingle Registration Issues: community@cruisecritic.com

Site Feedback: community@cruisecritic.com

Technical Assistance for Message Boards: boards@cruisecritic.com

User Name Changes: boards@cruisecritic.com

Or, as stated in a previous post, you can e-mail any Host or Moderator direct for help or information. I believe most have an e-mail address in their signature. Again, please remember to include your user name.

Also, please remember all e-mails or bad post reports are answered in the order received so please be patient. Right now we have almost 195,000 members and e-mails or bad post reports are received 24/7.

Again, I sincerely hope this information will be satisfactory.

Kat 050103cat_prv.gif

Host Kat:

Many thanks for your last post with all the pertinent contact info for the host moderators, and where to go if we have problems and/or issues. Very helpful! All of you moderators do a great job here on Cruise Critic. Thank you.

I say thanks, also Kat. I have used that triangle myself in the past but as I said-this messegeboard is much cleaner then the ones that have lots of kids on them.

Sometimes I wonder where are these kid's parents and do they know WHAT their kids are doing. Not only do these kids talk about things on a public board they shouldn't but they post their name, their age, the town they live in , the school they go to, their e-mail addresses etc. They are just setting themselves up for a predator.

040103thanks_md_clr_prv.gif

We need the help from members in order to keep the boards "family-friendly". We greatly appreciate your input! You are our "eyes" since it is impossible to read every post on every forum.

Thanks again,

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

That said I just got badly attacked in another forum for suggesting people hit the triangle. I was called, among other things, a tattle tale and told I was bothering the moderators by triangling posts. I'm at a loss now. If people are being hurtful and rude should I triangle the post or ignore it?

The Hosts and Moderators are like the crossing guards of the message board. They keep the members within the "crosswalk" so that the board can fulfill its purpose. Per the Community Guidelines: Cruise Critic is a community of folks who love to cruise and we all benefit from the exchange of advice that takes place here! Our Cruise Community is a cooperative effort which depend on all of you to make it work well.

As I said before, we cannot read every post on every forum. Generally, Hosts or Moderators have a threefold responsibility: to ensure that members are following the Community Guidelines, to assist new members, and to foster lively discussion. We do need help from the members, and depend on the members to bring Guideline violations to our attention.

Please continue using the triangle for off topic, advertising or Community Guideline violation posts, but it would be best not to mention the fact it has been done in a post. To some people, mentioning it could be considered a Community Guideline violation too. Remember, any statement can be harassment since it all depends on how it is perceived by others. As an ex hospital business office supervisor, I have attended many classes concerning harassment and they all boiled down to one word - perception.

Kat

That said I just got badly attacked in another forum for suggesting people hit the triangle. I was called, among other things, a tattle tale and told I was bothering the moderators by triangling posts. I'm at a loss now. If people are being hurtful and rude should I triangle the post or ignore it?

I don't think you are, you helped me out once and it was fine, sometimes we need to be put in our place even though it embarresses (spelling...lol) us. I have also posted wrong on here not knowing all the rules for a chat forum, (I was the postee) and it didn't bother me. That's how we all learn. We should be adult enough to be nice and considerate of others.

As for the children's forum, my child is 12 and I let him chat on certain boards, but I do monitor him, and I also have a monitoring program that I put on when I'm not around and then I can go and check it. But I do agree some of these children do get out of hand and with all of us helping out we could have a nice room for the kids.

Kim:D

Archived