Dining on ships?

cruizinmama

I have been on Princess and they have the anytime dining and loved that.But I am thinking of going on another cruiseline and was just wondering the cruise ships where you need to pick a time for dining, does that mean you have to eat at that time,in the dining room or is there other places to eat if you decide you do not want to eat in the dining room?(sometimes after being so busy at the ports I do not feel like getting all ready for dinner)Like on Princess there was the buffet or a place to get burger's or pizza no extra charge.I am looking into Norwegian cruise line-they have freestyle dining(I think that would be the same as Princess)

But what about Carnival and Royal Caribbean?These are the 3 cruise lines I am trying to pick from.Any suggestions?I would like to go to the eastern or southern caribbean.I will not be traveling with any children and I am in my 30's.I would also like to go in Jan. 2007.But really my biggest concern is the dining.I LOVE the anytime/freestyle dining so is that just limiting my choices to Princess(already been on) or Norwegian or do the other lines have someplace to eat,other then the scheduled dining you need to dress for in case we just want to stay in our jean shorts and eat whenever we want to but then there needs to be somewhere we can eat without having to pay extra.I hope you understand what I am asking-LOL

If you do not make your set dining times on Royal or Carnival, then they also have informal dining open at night in their buffet restaraunts. This is not necessarily the same food as what is in the dining room, but it is meant to be an alternative to set time dining. There are also usually stations available for pizza, sandwiches, and other snacks.

Thankyou.So now I know I can pick any of these and still know that if we choose to not eat at the set time or if we miss it there will be other options that are still no extra charge-YEAH!!!:D Any opinions to what cruise line is better?

We have been on a variety of ships, and the one thing that they all have in common is that you can eat 24 hours a day.

We have always enjoyed the late seating in the dining room for a great adult experience with new friends, and family. Don't skip this when you are not rushed. We don't usually bother with the other meals in the dining room. If you should wish to dine in the dining room outside of your assignment, the maitre' D will usually oblige you, knowing who is not coming to dinner. The late seating is tighter than early.

There is always pizza, burgers, desserts, etc to satisfy. The buffets usually run most of the time.

High tea, sushi, ice cream, are usually available in the mid to late afternoon.

We always have breakfast via room service. You can even ask for anything you wish that is not on the menu, and they usually bring it.

Such as smoked salmon, etc. They are prompt and you don't have to rush.

Most of the ships have gourmet dining rooms, or steak houses, at extra charge, most of which are very much worth the price. Mostly $20. to 40. PP.

Don't forget to walk alot!

Also, Norwegian has "Freestyle Dining" which is the same as Princess' Anytime dining. The larger ships have several restaurants to choose from as well. We sailed on the NCL Dawn last summer and it was absolutely perfect for our family of four.

Happy Sailing!!!:D

Celebrity has two set dining times, but they have the buffet area open for anytime dining, they have the pizza and pasta bar open until midnight and they have room service, from which you can order from the dining room menu.

Darcie.

Thank you for the information. We are on the Century for a Baltic Cruise in August. I expect this will be port intensive and I may be too tired for early dinning.Have always cruised Princess but am looking forward to our Celebrity experience

Mary

Archived