dinner seating with kids late vs.early

star65

I need your opinions on this one. Traveling with three kids, and we are booked into late sitting, because we didn't want it to interfere with our excursions and because we are not the earliest of risers so late breakfast works best for us.

However, I am getting serious seconds thoughts, I know if the kids are hungry at 5 they can hit the buffet, anyone know what hours the buffet is open until (sailing on the legend) also, what about the kids club activities, will my kids miss out with late seating and the shows, can you make it in time to the 10:30 show and get decent seats with late seating?? Thanks for all your help.

I need your opinions on this one. Traveling with three kids, and we are booked into late sitting, because we didn't want it to interfere with our excursions and because we are not the earliest of risers so late breakfast works best for us.

You could change to EARLY seating, and just not go to the dining room for breakfast - go to the Lido instead. That way, if your kids get hungry for the evening meal early (most kids do!), you can go on to the dining room for the Early seating... OR stick with Lido?

However, I am getting serious seconds thoughts, I know if the kids are hungry at 5 they can hit the buffet, anyone know what hours the buffet is open until

Pretty sure it's something like 5pm-9pm for Lido evening buffet.

can you make it in time to the 10:30 show and get decent seats with late seating??

Sure you can. They have it designed that way. Early seating folks go to the 8:30 show, and Late seating folks go to the 10:30 show. That way, there's plenty of seats for all!

We just got back yesterday from the elation. Had a great time. Good luck on changing from late to early, hope you get it. We had late seating, although we requested early. We didn't have our kids with us, but it was awful eating that late. Who eats that late anyway.Especially if you do an excursion, because you are so tired, and then you have to wait to eat. I think they could do a little better on that situation, maybe try alternating it or something.

Your kids will probably NOT want to eat with you. Every evening Camp Carnival has a side of the buffet and a section of the table area reserved for them. There are camp Carnival activities that would conflict with late seating, especially for the pre & youn teen group.

We had the early dinner seating and it worked out great. DD was in the 9 - 11 year old group with Camp Carnival, and the evening activities were from 7p.m. - 10p.m., so she just scooted to where they were meeting after dinner.

There are all kinds of food venues open 24 hours a day on Carnival. Our kids used to order up some room service while they were getting ready for dinner (they were growing boys!), and then still sit down to a full meal an hour later. They can grab a sandwich, order something from the grill or pizzeria. As long as your kids aren't little and they can manage sitting through a dinner that starts at 8:30, they'll be fine. I would be more concerned about the late hour (taking into consideration if they are very young) than their becoming hungry.

On the Pride, the dining room had open seating from 8AM to 10AM for breakfast. Also, the Grille served breakfast from 8AM to noon. My daughter and I had late seating for dinner. You didn't mention the ages of your kids (unless I missed it!). At our seating there were lots of younger kids. Many of them fell asleep every night at the table.

Judy

We have always done early seating with our daughter but now she likes the camp dinners. We will still pick early because we eat about 6 here at home. If for some reason you are unable to get switched to early we have found some tricks. Either let the kids eat with camp and enjoy a dinner for two at late seating. Either order from room service or go to the lido deck and have a snack about 5 or 6 to hold everyone over till dinner. Early seating usually fills up more during the summer and holiday vacations whereas late seating is usually more popular when less kids are on the ship. So far we have lucked out because we usually travel in Sept. and are able to get the early seating.

If your kids are under the age of 12 I do not recommend the late seating. Daughter(10) has fallen asleep at the table more than once when we have taken the late seating. On more than one occassion she has just been too tired to get dressed up and sit at the table for two hours. In that case she usually orders room service and has herself a little party in the room while watching a video. She's happy and I don't have a sleepy, cranky child on my hands. Good Luck with your decision. Joan

We had the early seating on the miracle 6/12 and this did not work for us...we couldn't get everyone together in time (2 5yr olds and 1 6yr old) by the time we got them out of the pool it was rush rush and didn't work. We ended up on the lido deck all but once, they wanted pizza and sandwiches every meal anyway so it worked out, they also liked getting their own drinks. Next time we will pick late and feed the kids on the lido if they are hungry before. The camp closed for meals most days on the Miracle...formal nights they fed them. I think it is all trial and error and depends on the children and organization of the parents( we weren't, it's vacation :o )

Thank you for the replies. I honestly wasn't too concerned about them being hungry because I thought they would have a snack at the buffet or room service, I was more worried about them being tired and cranky. I never thought about them falling asleep at the table though. My two daughters are 11 and 7, and my niece is also 11. I can very easily imagine my 7 year old falling alseep. I am thinking of changing to the early. Now, would you know if I put them in the kids club babysitting at night if they can all stay together given their ages and if they would be able to nap there?? Thanks!

I have had seatings at all the different times. What I have noticed is that the earlier seatings are more families, while the later seatings are more adults. I guess it works out great for all kinds of folks that way....

Archived